You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi I seem to be having a lot of trouble colouring a drawing I created for a logo. Ive tried reading tutorials but they made little sense, then I tried to find videos and I couldn't find anything that told me in a simple way how to do this, let alone at all. Im only looking for simple colouring but I can not seem to get started with this program. Ive tried looking for others but I am pretty sure you have all the tools I need I just cant seem to figure it out and its very frustrating.. I feel it shouldn't bee this difficult, please help.

I have attached the image I am trying to colour.

Flash Bear Inprogress.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @Galvertron,

Welcome to the forums. 

If you want to "fill" a shape, it must be closed. Your design does not have any closed shapes, so that's why you cannot "colour" it. 

Have a quick look at our Spotlight article. It explains how to create shapes and how to fill them.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/the-eyes-of-a-butterfly-with-kevin-house/

Thanks,

Gabe. 

The problem is that (apart from the eyes, the nose and the squiggle at the bottom of the drawing) the curves are unclosed. Although you’ve grouped them, that doesn’t make them closed: you need to ungroup them, select adjacent pairs with the Node Tool and use the ‘Join Curves’ button on the Context toolbar to join them so that they surround the area that you want to fill. Use the ‘Close Curve’ button to completely close the curve.

Edit: I’ve attached a partially coloured drawing to show you what’s happening. As you can see, you get a straight line edge to the fill if the start and end nodes of the curve don’t coincide.

Flash-Bear.thumb.png.67e0d6313f0654ac2ac720d532666d01.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Easiest way is to select any item and click on either Fill or Stroke on the Context Toolbar (third menu bar from the top of the window).

fill.jpg.dedd5f0cf626268dae7a4617d7e3e3ba.jpg

Fill will fill the object, Stroke will colour the outline of the object

Open up the main group and select an item, then click on a colour in the Fill swatch.

layers.jpg.a28b7072eb8ba82897bf8eac9fc72728.jpg

fills.jpg.123edbaaceadf27305c46f277e69f573.jpg

You can also select any item (layer) and click on a colour in the colour panel

cols.jpg.39ce077151c96139437455f5cc64c783.jpg

Note that the correct colour well must be selected.

stroke.jpg.2126a0229755cbf39606272ed26b81e4.jpg

If the donut shaped well is selected (on top) clicking on a colour colours the stroke outline)

filll.jpg.81fc3ee3eedd99340ca86fddc6202cf7.jpg

If the fill colour well is selected (now overlapping the stroke) the colour you click on fills the object you have selected.

However, as Gabe said, many of your objects are not closed, so it causes issues with filling.

bear.jpg.b79c9e3104d7d40e30fd899cb51694de.jpg

An open object

open.jpg.0d51a5ff6e53039e2d415224a8bebc24.jpg

A closed object

closed.jpg.1656e28cd19ce1aa0a9c0e7fd9ab7722.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.