You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Pete,

Are you using the Windows or Mac version of the software please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all :)

Currently there's no scanning functionality integrated in Affinity Photo for Windows due to poor 64-bit scan driver support. You have to use the software provided with your scanner to save the scans as files and then open them in Affinity, my apologies!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

43 minutes ago, Magic Pete said:

I'm enjoying the learning curve in AP but just can't find how to scan in photos?

There are several utilities that work very well with Photo.

I use and can highly recommend Faststone Image Viewer (free for non-commercial use). It scans directly and can be set to launch the scanned image directly into Photo, with a shortcut. For scanning, there is effectively no difference from a typical image editor opening a TWAIN panel but there are many other benefits, like basic cropping and editing plus screengrab and DAM. Although not yet Affinity native format.

fast.jpg.43fa1bf004409ac9bac5c470a3d62d12.jpg

http://www.faststone.org

Another one is Vuescan 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

13 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all :)

Currently there's no scanning functionality integrated in Affinity Photo for Windows due to poor 64-bit scan driver support. You have to use the software provided with your scanner to save the scans as files and then open them in Affinity, my apologies!

Thanks Dan,

Very disappointing! So I will have to revert to what I have been doing for years - scan direct into PhotoPlus then move the result to Affinity!!! I might just as well do my simple editing requirements whilst already in PhotoPlus! 

A couple of days ago my first posting here was about doing 'Cut-outs' in Affinity. I know I have a steep learning curve ahead, but in PhotoPlus the 'Cut Out Studio'  was/is almost automatic to use - in Affinity - whilst I appreciate the many advanced facilities available - getting quick results seems to be much harder.

Me thinks I had better sit down with a cup of strong coffee . . . :(

Thanks again. Pete.

21 minutes ago, toltec said:

There are several utilities that work very well with Photo.

I use and can highly recommend Faststone Image Viewer (free for non-commercial use). It scans directly and can be set to launch the scanned image directly into Photo, with a shortcut. For scanning, there is effectively no difference from a typical image editor opening a TWAIN panel but there are many other benefits, like basic cropping and editing plus screengrab and DAM. Although not yet Affinity native format.

fast.jpg.43fa1bf004409ac9bac5c470a3d62d12.jpg

http://www.faststone.org

Another one is Vuescan 

Thanks, I will follow this up. But it means yet another learning curve and at my age . . . . . . :/

Thanks Pete.

7 hours ago, Beo said:

I ended up using Gimp, a completely free photo editor, to import... It has zero problems with 64-bit scanning from all my network printers/scanners, not sure why AP can't do same.

Yes Beo, I have got Gimp on my machines and am learning that also. Thanks for the suggestion and, as you say - it's FREE. 

8 hours ago, Beo said:

I ended up using Gimp, a completely free photo editor, to import... It has zero problems with 64-bit scanning from all my network printers/scanners, not sure why AP can't do same.

There are both 32 & 64 bit versions of Gimp for Windows. I am not a Windows user but from what I have read on the web, the 64 bit version does not support everything the 32 bit one does. Do you know which one you are using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R-C-R. It's the 64 bit. I see you're using a Mac so that may be the difference. I have HP wide-format, Brother, Epson and Canon equipment and I don't recall ever having a scanning issue with Gimp in the last year or so. That's on a Win10 Pro i7 PC with 32GB RAM and 3 monitors. I have the same setup (AP, AD and Gimp 64/Inkscape 64) on a MacBook Pro running the latest OS but I rarely if ever scan anything with it. I will say I've had issues with cheaper "smart" managed network switches from DLink, Netgear, etc interfering with traffic in the past so I run them on non-managed network switches to make sure that doesn't happen. Just my experience.