You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi RamaBot,

We can't set that as default.  One thing you could do, under Preferences for Affinity you have an option for Tools.  In here is a tick box for Synchronise tools between documents.  This would mean once you enable Protect Alpha.  If you then closed Affinity and reopened, selected a brush, then Preserve alpha would be enabled.  The only draw back of this method, if you disabled protect alpha, restarted the app and selected the brush, protect alpha would be disabled.

Sticky settings for the tools are on the Dev to do list and will be added in a future update.

• Staff
32 minutes ago, RamaBot said:

Could the preserve alpha be set as a preference option for the blur filters

That option is already present on the Live Blue Filters (Layer>New Live Filter Layer>) but doesn't currently get remembered like the Preserve Alpha option with a brush.  Once we have sticky settings, i'd expect this to be remembered.

21 minutes ago, RamaBot said:

I can't get it to work.

Just created a Gaussian blur live filter layer. Turn on preserve alpha. Then Created another one and the preserve alpha was turned off.

What am I doing wrong?

I think you misunderstood what @stokerg wrote. He said the option is present (which you demonstrated) but that it is not remembered.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ahhh. Thanks walt :)

I know the option is present. I want is to be on by default so I don't have to set it each time. I have never had preserve alpha off when using the blur filters. I would think that the first thing most people do most of the time when using the blur filters is to set it to be on. 

As my original question was about making the option sticky I assumed that he would be talking about the same thing.

56 minutes ago, RamaBot said:

Just created a Gaussian blur live filter layer. Turn on preserve alpha. Then Created another one and the preserve alpha was turned off.

I don't know if it would help you until "Sticky settings" appear ? but you could create a macro.

The attached one adds a Gaussian filter layer, sets Preserve Alpha and opens the slider panel.

The library panel can have a keyboard shortcut applied, like Alt + L

So press Alt + L, click on the blur filter macro then Alt + L to close the Library again. Or of course, you could leave the Library open.

Blurred.afmacros

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

I don't know if it would help you until "Sticky settings" appear ? but you could create a macro.

The attached one adds a Gaussian filter layer, sets Preserve Alpha and opens the slider panel.

The library panel can have a keyboard shortcut applied, like Alt + L

So press Alt + L, click on the blur filter macro then Alt + L to close the Library again. Or of course, you could leave the Library open.

Blurred.afmacros

Good idea. Thanks :)