You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.5.112

10 hours ago, hifred said:

No. In my case brushing does not do anything at all (both on Beta and released version). When I pick the brush tool and draw random circles I see nothing happening at all (canvas remains white). Only when I lift the pen from the Cintiq a single straight line appears: The connection line between the location where the nib first touched the screen and the point where the tip was lifted off the screen. Doing the same with the Mouse works as expected.

I have posted little clips how this looks before, just a couple of post back - very easy to find (am on the phone right now).

That's very strange, we have a Cintiq here which works absolutely fine. Have you tried enabling High Precision Mode in Preferences?

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Have you tried enabling High Precision Mode in Preferences?

Wow. That was it, but possibly not in the way you had thought. 
I had  High Precision Mode turned on (both in Release version and Beta). At least on my machine that experimental feature  effectively turned off all Brush input. Possibly I had checked that box while editing with the mouse, didn't see a negative effect and left that box checked. When unchecked pen based brushing got available again. So this one is closed.

----

While we are talking: Is there a tiny chance that you for V2 look into hooking up the Wacom Hover Click-Feature? It allows you to set Size and Falloff of tooltips without having to touch Tablet/Screen. I find your implementation Alt+LMB+RMB very odd to use – both with Mouse and Tablet. Hover Click provides a less error prone and easier to use solution for both devices:

In Photoshop:

• Pen Input: Alt + Pen button + Hover Pen over touch-sensitive device. Draging Left + Right + Up and down changes values.
    Advantage: The nib does not have to touch the input device – no risk to spoil the artwork

• Mouse Input: Alt + RMB, draging Left + Right + Up and down changes values.
    Advantage: No need to press two buttons to get access to interactive tooltip control – no risk to spoil the artwork

Thanks @hifred, I'm surprised High Precision mode stopped the Cintiq from working! We'll investigate it.

Thanks for your suggestions, I highly encourage you to post that into the Suggestions forum (unfortunately I can't move part of your post):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/56-suggestions-for-affinity-range-current-future/ 

Yeah, I had already thought that you suggested as a cure what in fact was the reason for my problems :o). Thanks for having a look – but as this is a legacy driver (Wacom 6.6.19-3) for a discontinued product you probably shouldn’t go too crazy with your investigation. I'm glad that default pen input works again!

21 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks for your suggestions, I highly encourage you to post that into the Suggestions forum (unfortunately I can't move part of your post):

Hehe, I have left that feedback several times already (also in the feature request forum). No need for a repost. I just took the chance to bring up this issue during a conversation with a staff member. While I understand that you guys don’t comment feature requests, this from the user-perspective isn’t ideal: One would like to make sure that the topic brought up got seen and understood at least :o).

Some general performance feedback:

I have both Affinity apps and really want to like them. But – thus far –I only open Photo every other month to check out what’s new in the Betas. One thing what still badly spoils my editing experience is the lack of snappiness on quite a decent (Win) Desktop Computer – its specs are likely above the average 2D graphics computer. You guys make such nicely edited marketing videos which lets things appear as childs play – but the actual work experience here (release version +  latest beta) still feels extremely contrasting to me. I see:

• Very long load times already for single raw files
  • Super slow selection (quick Mouse movements often don't even seem to register)
  • very slow Refine Edge
  • even filling a layer with colour lets the program think for roughly a second
  • Changing between Personas takes the longest time: The Tone Mapping dialog needs more than half a minute to initialize

My half a decade old Photoshop CS6 still is so much faster, that it remains the obvious choice for my daily work – unfortunately.
Are serious speed improvements in the plans for V2?

Specs: Win10, i76850K, 32GB RAM, GTX1070

Hello Hifred...

You must have a system issue!

I get those load speeds and issues from my 6 year old Win7 Toshiba with 8gb ram, built in GPU and HDD!

My new i7 Gen8, 16gb ram, SSD and 4gb Radeon has everything happening real time, refine, Wacom, fill persona switch etc... 

Suggest you look at prior performance issue posts... GPU and drivers, etc...

Cheers, Paul

14 minutes ago, PaulAffinity said:

You must have a system issue!

Well,  I do CAD heavylifting on the same machine and Photohop is very fast as well.
I ran Cinebench and similar tools a while back, with pretty decent results. This obviously could still mean that I suffer from some sort of hardware compatibility issue with Affinity but generally the system doesn't appear broken in any way.

Sure, Hifred...

With a monster specification machine like yours it should fly.

I recommend the video drivers and GPU usage settings on Affinity are the 2 starting points.

Remember the recommendation is to uninstall then reinstall new video drivers...

Enjoy!

Paul

Thanks Paul,

19 minutes ago, PaulAffinity said:

I recommend the video drivers | Remember the recommendation is to uninstall then reinstall new video drivers...

I’d probably triple check Video drivers (even with all other programs behaving well) when my work would rely on Photo.
It thus far doesn’t. In addition I’m pretty convinced that everything is in order and up to date graphics-wise :o)
Hence I'm somewhat hesitant.
A debug app by the developers to extract what’s going wrong would probably be more effective.
I gave Affinity plenty of RAM, that can’t be the issue either.

Over the past couple of weeks I'v been reading about various complaints relating to performance issues with Affinity Photo. I don't want to make light about these complaints, I am sure they are all real and genuine.

At this stage I just want to sound a positive message. None of these problems have occurred to my machines, a desktop and a laptop. Both are older i5 machines with 8Gb RAM each, so nothing to rave about. I have tried to recreate several of these issues and none of them showed up. (with the exception pen driven tablets which I do not use) I have no explanation why this is the case. Both machines are flying with AP. Certainly not any slower than PS.

I am therefore extremely happy with AP. There are countless workflow advantages over PS. I am sure they are all well known and don't need further explanation. Because of all this I am very thankful to the dev team for all their hard work and accomplishments!

Regards to all,

Peter