You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.5.112

Even when you throw 10-20 RAW files into the program at the same time, the program hangs up the computer so that the mouse can hang and does not work Ctrl + alt + del. There is a feeling that the program runs all processes in parallel, with a high priority. It would be logical that the processes be processed sequentially or there should be a limit on the number of simultaneously calculated processes. This would prevent the computer from becoming freezes.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

19 hours ago, Max N said:

Even when you throw 10-20 RAW files into the program at the same time, the program hangs up the computer so that the mouse can hang and does not work Ctrl + alt + del. There is a feeling that the program runs all processes in parallel, with a high priority. It would be logical that the processes be processed sequentially or there should be a limit on the number of simultaneously calculated processes. This would prevent the computer from becoming freezes.

I had the same Question in March and @Mark Ingram told me in this Thread....

...why it is so.
They are working on improvements :)

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

This Morning i found an error, but it´s not only in the beta, it´s in the current version (1.6.4.104) too.
I thought that is an error of the beta and so i chekced in in the current version, but there is the same.

I opend some NEF files from my Nikon D5500. Dimensions of them are 6000 x 4000 px.
After development they are  6016 x 4016 px. 16 px bigger than the originals.

I only opend them to export them as jpg, no editing, no work with it.

Have a nice day.

8 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

I had the same Question in March and @Mark Ingram told me in this Thread....

...why it is so.
They are working on improvements :)

In the RAW processing module, when loading multiple RAW files, an additional group processing module is required.
The very logic of several tabs is a time bomb for developers. Having chosen the logic in which all the files are isolated from each other, the possibility of group processing of RAW files became impossible.
For professional use, you have to use third-party RAW converters. They allow you to quickly process large amounts of RAW files, with the optimal cost in time. Affinity does not allow simultaneous processing of multiple files. There is no way to quickly copy and apply settings.
 I have to go back to the lightmom + photoshop subscription again. And having photoshop the need for AP tends to zero.
 The attempt to create an AP + AD + APub full cycle ecosystem in theory makes it possible to work exceptionally in Affinity programs. But the lack of opportunity for an adequate time to show RAW files in a large number, breaks the chain.
 In ACR PS very well implemented work with a group of RAW files. At this point, AP has nothing to answer. One file to process is not a problem. But this is home use. And when you need to process 3000 - 10 000 files, it's not Affinity anymore. Having a good (in terms of capabilities) RAW converter AP, due to logic, you have to use third-party software.
 And still very incomprehensible logic, according to which the white balance was in the panel below the exposure. First, the correct white balance is set, and only then the exposure is set. Otherwise, after editing BB will have to re-edit the exposure.
 I'm an engineer by automotization and optimization of engineering processes. And I can see how to build the process and where the time is lost. A professional tool, whether it's a camera, a program, a keyboard, is always built on the principle of what is often used - at hand, rarely used far away. When logic is broken - this leads to a slowdown in the workflow, and a decrease in the efficiency and competitiveness of the product.
 I really like Affinity products. But at some points, the AP logic puts users on the footboard, which requires a large amount of time to be bypassed. I hope in future versions we will really see a self-sufficient chain of programs AP + AD + APub.

Windows 11 64-bit,

8 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

This Morning i found an error, but it´s not only in the beta, it´s in the current version (1.6.4.104) too.
I thought that is an error of the beta and so i chekced in in the current version, but there is the same.

I opend some NEF files from my Nikon D5500. Dimensions of them are 6000 x 4000 px.

I only opend them to export them as jpg, no editing, no work with it.

If it's in the current official release I think they prefer you report the bug in the normal bug forum, not the beta forum.

However, I don't think that's a bug. Many digital cameras produce raw images that are slightly bigger than their advertised sizes. Many apps, in turn, discard those extra pixels. Affinity Photo doesn't, by design, and instead leaves that decision to you during raw development.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I got good news and a bad one. Good one first. I am happy to say that so far pen tool took all the abuse like a champ and didn't caused crash like it is in stable. Great job on fixing that!

Heres the bad one - there's a little bug in pen tool still (I dont think it is present in stable). To recreate it choose pen tool, start drawing curve and then with last node selected start moving canvas with space. Without trying to place new node - just canvas movement. Press space, quick movement of canvas, leave space. Do it few times and you should see that AP is adding nodes in some random places due to this movements. I am able to recreate that every time.

Hope that can help to kill that bug too ;)

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If it's in the current official release I think they prefer you report the bug in the normal bug forum, not the beta forum.

However, I don't think that's a bug. Many digital cameras produce raw images that are slightly bigger than their advertised sizes. Many apps, in turn, discard those extra pixels. Affinity Photo doesn't, by design, and instead leaves that decision to you during raw development.

Hi @walt.farrell
Yes, i think you are right. Yesterday i tested it again and if i OPEN the RAW file in develop persona, it shows me this dimensions and that my camera works with 24.16 MP instead of 24 MP. It was a little bit curious because all ohter software shows me 24 MP and 6000 x 4000px and so tought that it is a bug.
But now i think it isn´t one.
Thanks for your explanation.

Have a nice day.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, Uwe367 said:

Not a bug, but a feature: the "natural" RAW ist bigger in pixels, the JPEG engine of your cam only shows the inner 6000x4000, while the RAW converter of Affinity (or most of other 3rd party software like RAWtherapee) develops all the pixel information

I endored a "bad" behaviour, not a technical problem, it's in the actual beta as in the last stable:

When developing a RAW pic, you click on "develeop", then all open sub windows (I layed them on a second screen) got closed, all chosen sub windows of the standard persona open and afterwords that the develop will start with a short delay (0,5 - 2 secs). The sequential arrangement is in my eyes not the best...

On 6/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Max N said:

The limitation is your memory installed. If I remember correctly, you can set the amount of RAM used by the application.

Under "Preferences"---"Performance" you can set the amount of memory you want to be used by the application. If you set it higher, you are able to load more files simultaniously...Or work with larger files...

2 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

The limitation is your memory installed. If I remember correctly, you can set the amount of RAM used by the application.

Under "Preferences"---"Performance" you can set the amount of memory you want to be used by the application. If you set it higher, you are able to load more files simultaniously...Or work with larger files... 

Thank you. This will solve the problem not completely.

Windows 11 64-bit,

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Fixes

• Fixed Space bar panning with the paintbrush tool placing nozzles

It's great this annoying bug was fixed!

But note that other tools still have the same issue during space bar panning (although it is not that fatal): color picker, flood fill, selection brush, pen tool and flood select tool.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:21 AM, boovie said:

It's great this annoying bug was fixed!

But note that other tools still have the same issue during space bar panning (although it is not that fatal): color picker, flood fill, selection brush, pen tool and flood select tool.

Exactly what I was trying much less elegantly say about pen tool. I didn't realized it was also present in so many other tools :) I am sure devs will take care of it.

I have very strong magenta cast on raw canon images. do a quick test try to open an image on lightroom and then in affinity, the same image. do a quick comparison and let me know. test on subjects who dress a light blue color, it should be very noticeable. if I try to correct the magenta adding green I loose the skin tones. it's not possible to work with this problem please give me a suggestion.

I opened a topic on the ipad sub forum, take a look for a sample. if you need more beta test samples I'll provide it let me know.  I quit here to do not exsagerate cross post (I started talking about the problem on the other topic).

1. Create a pixel layer with semi-transparent content. Set it to screen.

2. Add a lens blur filter just for this layer (ie. nest it inside). Add some blur (radius).

3. Notice strange squares patterns inside. 

4. Exporting into jpg has the same issue/pattern.

image.png.422c75b03f983c7352255809db72abeb.png

image.png.480bb957c5c4bfbaa58dbfe8ffa9625e.png

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

29 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Another error.

When stacking motion blur filter in a pixel layer, it does not affect the layer.

It does for me. You may need to provide a specific example and .afphoto file.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

1. Create a pixel layer with semi-transparent content. Set it to screen.

2. Add a lens blur filter just for this layer (ie. nest it inside). Add some blur (radius).

3. Notice strange squares patterns inside. 

4. Exporting into jpg has the same issue/pattern.

That also works fine for me. Again, a specific example .afphoto file may help.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, hifred said:

As posted before (please check my post history) – Wacom pen brushing is still absolutely broken on my machine. That's the case not just only in the Beta, but also in the released version.

Have you tried completely uninstalling the Wacom driver, and then installing the latest version?

27 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Have you tried completely uninstalling the Wacom driver, and then installing the latest version?

I use the very last driver available for my (discontinued) Cintiq model. 
This being said I really doubt that there's any issue with the driver. I use the Pen Display daily in Photoshop, Zbrush, 3DCoat, without any functional issues. 
The same hardware with unchanged software used to work with Affinity before. 

Please note that also other users reported similar Wacom Tablet issues

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It does for me. You may need to provide a specific example and .afphoto file.

Ok, now I see, it's stacked in the wrong part (side of miniature, and not 'below' miniature).

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

3 hours ago, hifred said:

I use the very last driver available for my (discontinued) Cintiq model. 
This being said I really doubt that there's any issue with the driver. I use the Pen Display daily in Photoshop, Zbrush, 3DCoat, without any functional issues. 
The same hardware with unchanged software used to work with Affinity before. 

Please note that also other users reported similar Wacom Tablet issues

The user at the link you provided was complaining of AP being slow when brushing, is that what you're complaining of?

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

The user at the link you provided was complaining of AP being slow when brushing, is that what you're complaining of? 

No. In my case brushing does not do anything at all (both on Beta and released version). When I pick the brush tool and draw random circles I see nothing happening at all (canvas remains white). Only when I lift the pen from the Cintiq a single straight line appears: The connection line between the location where the nib first touched the screen and the point where the tip was lifted off the screen. Doing the same with the Mouse works as expected.

I have posted little clips how this looks before, just a couple of post back - very easy to find (am on the phone right now).