You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying adjustments from one photo to another

Hello all.

I am in the process of trying (very hard) to extract myself from the Adobe CC ecosystem. So far Affinity Photo seems the prime candidate. But there is just one thing. I realize that Affinity (like Photoshop) does not have a DAM built in but by any chance is there some way to copy standard adjustments (exposure, white balance, saturation, contrast, etc...) from one photo to another?

If I have say 24 photos taken at the same spot with the exact same lighting conditions, Lightroom allows me to copy one photo's adjustements onto the others, thus saving me lots of time in editing the whole session.

Is what I am describing feasible in Affinitty?

Please say yes. :)

• Staff

Hi TheEvilDonut,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you are working with RAW's in Develop Persona you can save presets from each tab section (Basic, Lens, Details etc) using the Preset dropdow at the top of each section. Currently there's no way to save the settings of all those tabs into a "global" preset (or a XMP sidecar file).

36 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @TheEvilDonut ,

Welcome to the forums. 

Sure. You can use macros for this

Macros

Or, you can just copy-paste the adjustments layers from one photo to another. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Sadly. neither of those works in the Develop persona.  Copying adjustment layers is a great idea though - I wish I'd heard of it sooner!  Given that this is one of many questions that's asked on a regular basis, is there an FAQ  section anywhere?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff
16 hours ago, MEB said:

If you are working with RAW's in Develop Persona you can save presets from each tab section (Basic, Lens, Details etc) using the Preset dropdow at the top of each section. Currently there's no way to save the settings of all those tabs into a "global" preset (or a XMP sidecar file).

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi IanSG,
Lightroom has been around for quite some time, Affinity Photo is still in its first version. There will be more improvements in Develop Persona in the next updates/upgrades. The dev team just needs time.

Hi MEB

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not attacking AP or the developers!!  I just think this is one area where (at the moment :)) there's a big difference between what LR can do and the way it's implemented, and what can be done with AP.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

So, this brings me to a similar question I had.

I use a handful of Topaz filters on the macOS version. Obviously, I can't use these filters on the iPad. I generally just accept the defaults on the filter. Is there a way to figure out what each filter I like does (kinda like a compare for a before or after) and build a macro I can use on the iPad that gets me close enough?

I think that @Brammy was asking if it was possible to work out what standard Affinity filters or adjustments would give the sane effect as the Topaz filter. If this were possible, then it would be possible to create an equivalent macro.

My guess is that it could be possible in some, but not all, cases. It would, however involve a lot of fiddly and time-consuming work. Probably not worth the effort. This is why filters such as those from Topaz and Nik are so popular!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 6/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, MEB said:

Hi TheEvilDonut,

On 6/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, MEB said:

Hi TheEvilDonut,

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Has there been any progress in this area? I too have migrated from LR to Affinity, but in my line of photography I need to copy settings to large numbers of images. For example, I have a shoot to process, and have applied 3 live filters and 2 adjustments to an image in the Photo persona, and now need to apply the same settings to up to 300 images. In LR, I would simply copy the settings of the source image, highlight the destination images and paste. The previews would then be adjusted accordingly in a few seconds. After that initial work is done, then I would just need to make tweaks, if necessary, to individual images.

What's the most efficient way to do this?

I understand that I cannot realistically open 300 images in AP, but can I copy and paste the group of settings to 6 opened images at a time (one at a time even), and work my way through the shoot this way? Is there a way to copy and paste all the settings, or save them as a preset for future application?

Thanks.

[UPDATE] I have discovered that it's possible to group live filters and adjustments, and then copy and paste the group to another image. Is there a way I can paste such a group to multiple images simultaneously?

Edited by eightysevens
Update of knowledge.

Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 - Win 10 Home 64 bit 22H2, OS Build 19045.2251 - Asus ROG G20CB - i5-6400 2.7ghz - 8gb RAM - NVIDIA GX950- BenQ BL2783