You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical text alignment in text box

Type in a text box can have horizontal alignment applied, when the text is highlighted there appears to be vertical alginment available on a right-click but a selection doesn't alter the alignment of the text within the text-box i.e. align/top; align/center; align/base.

Would be very useful to have this enabled to avoid having to float a text box over a graphics box just for the text. Thoughts?

Sim2.

P.S. I agree that the text-on-a-path should allow the path to be seen and/or be styled.

• 4 months later...

I noticed the absence of a Vertical Type feature today when I tested my *.ai files in Affinity Designer.  All the Japanese I created using Illustrator's Vertical Type Tool (tategaki) is changed to horizontal text when the file is opened in AD.

Please add a Vertical Type Tool akin to the one in Illustrator.  Such is not really needed so much for English, but for Japanese and Chinese, it's a must have feature.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 5:17 PM, MattP said:

It's already in the 1.6 Beta - just go to Text -> Vertical Alignment in the menu :)

It's now March 2019 and I am using Affinity Designer 1.6.1, and although I see Text > Vertical Alignment, all the options are grayed out when I am typing text on the page.  All options are grayed even if I select all the text inside a text box or even if I select multiple text boxes.  It  makes no logical sense at all.

But I suspect that feature really isn't vertical text as in Japanese 縦書き (vertical writing), which is what I've been calling for since my last post in this thread in freaking 2015!!!

Wherefore art thou, Affinity Designer updates?

• 3 months later...

Hello! 

I wonder,  could a staff member please respond here in this thread to the issue of typing vertically?  Would be much appreciated.  It's an important feature I have not yet figured out how to implement.  I did initially have the same issue as JDW where the vertical alignment options within the text drop-down were greyed out, then discovered that if I use the Frame Text Tool, then highlight the text first, then it is no longer greyed out but, still I cannot find the way to make my text appear vertically using any of the options presented.  It is essential to a large batch of images I am updating since making the switch from Adobe to Affinity (if it helps to know, I am using the latest version of AD).  Please, if someone can help me understand what I'm doing wrong, that would be really great!  Thank you.

(Not a staff member, as you can see from my posting details...)

Text > Vertical Alignment is used to specify the vertical alignment of a block of text within a text frame. You may place the block of text at the top of the frame (blank space below it), at the bottom of the frame (blank space above it), or centered (equal amount sof blank space above and below the block of text).

There is no support that I know of for writing text vertically in the Affinity applications, with the letters upright, except by making a tall text frame that is narrow enough that only 1 letter will fit within the width of the frame. Of course, that will work best with a monospaced font.

Note: This discussion is in an archived part of the forums. If you want further discussion you should probably create your own topic, which (if you're asking about Designer) could go in one of these places:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Note: This discussion is in an archived part of the forums. If you want further discussion you should probably create your own topic..

And that, my friends is the crux of the issue.  Consider well this thread wasn’t “archived“ back when I first posted in 2015. But due to lack of action by Serif to implement this much wanted and needed feature (especially in regards to Japanese text), this thread became archived and covered in cob webs. I suspect the same will happen to any new thread on this topic, at least until the day Serif finally implements a proper vertical text feature.  But I can’t help but be skeptical. Almost all my feature suggestions presented to date have fallen on deaf ears at Serif. And it’s a shame too since Affinity apps are otherwise great and the only real alternative to Adobe’s death grip.

@walt.farrell - Noted, I will do just that and thank you, for having taken the time to provide your input.  Yes that work-around I had already read elsewhere, possibly from you on another archived thread I don't know...I do know though that I've read your expertise quite a few times on various forum topics here which of course, is much appreciated, yourself and all others who contribute. 

@JDW - Let us hope!  I will try...

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2017 at 6:17 PM, MattP said:

It's already in the 1.6 Beta - just go to Text -> Vertical Alignment in the menu :)

How do we get the Beta version? This is not the Takegaki is it? this is related to vertical alignment correct? 

Edited by Nagasaka

1 hour ago, Nagasaka said:

How do we get the Beta version?

That was a reference to the 1.6 beta. Any function there is included in the current version, which is 1.8.

(Edit: Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.