You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical type?

Hi 2 all @ Affinity *first post*

Really liking Designer and amazed at the speed of development/customer interaction - all good stuff!

Anyway... been looking at the type options; text-on-a-path is great, is there a way for vertical type? i.e. draw a vertical path down the page and have the text characters align on the path but one under the other and still be type.

Horizontal paths can be rotated to vertical but the characters are (sensibly) still aligned to the baseline path.

I bet I have just not seen the "rotate text" button!

Sim2.

Ah, good to hear, thanks.

I have been exploring the text options as, perhaps, these modules within Designer may well be ported over to the basis of text functions in the page layout version which, of the three programmes, is my "natural" home. Can't wait for the beta of that programme to arrive!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed the absence of a Vertical Type feature today when I tested my *.ai files in Affinity Designer.  All the Japanese I created using Illustrator's Vertical Type Tool (tategaki) is changed to horizontal text when the file is opened in AD.

Please add a Vertical Type Tool akin to the one in Illustrator.  Such is not really needed so much for English, but for Japanese and Chinese, it's a must have feature.

• 5 years later...
On 2/26/2015 at 10:23 PM, TonyB said:

No vertical text yet. It's something we have planned though.

YES please this would be amazing! My business is literally waiting for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost everything I make needs this! Just moved from Xara designer because of the amazing 3 sets of programs, designer, photo and publisher.... but no Tategaki. Rubi text would also be great. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.