You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flattening, merging, or grouping - which do I use?

Please see the relevant topics in the online Help for Affinity Photo:

Layer operations: Grouping

Layer operations: Merging and flattening

Post back if you have any specific questions about the various options.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, BobMoyer said:

Beginners questions:  What are the differences between those three processes?  But more importantly are there advantages/disadvantages of each on a multi-layered photo?

Thanks, Bob

Flattening turn the whole document into one single layer. Very destructive and not really very useful as you can export the whole document as a single image to a new file for the same result, and keep the original layers intact for editing.

Merge visible is similar to flatten, but turns everything you can see into one layer, on top of the other layers That is not destructive as the original layers are still there if you need to make edits. It can be useful for masking and selections as several layers can make that hard.

Merging can be useful as things like adjustment layers or bits of pixel data can be merged into one layer. That help to keep things tidy.

Grouping is more useful for organising. A group can be moved as one item or (for some operations) adjustments or effects can be applied to every item in the group at one time. You can also use a group to stop an adjustment from affecting other layers, a bit like nesting but affects several layers at once. It also tidies up the Layers panel which can otherwise become very full!

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thank you both for your responses:

Alfred - as a beginner/newbie/most senior citizen, sometimes I need a little hand-holding. I can read some things several times and not really grasp its meaning if it isn't worded just right for me. I will read again the suggested items.

toltec - thank you for spelling it out...I think I understand what I need to do now.

Bob