Jordan22

Unusable app

I recently downloaded Affinity on a brand new iPad Pro. I only have 145 photos on the app and its completely unusable. Attempting to scroll leads to less than 1fps lag and usually results in the app crashing. Can anyone help?

@Jordan22

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

That is not normal behaviour for Affinity Photo for iPad. Can I ask if you have installed the beta of iOS 12, as it is not yet supported and early adopters are suggesting a similar problem to you. 

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Hey Jordan22,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'I only have 145 photos on the app'. Do you mean you only have 145 photos on the iPad and it is laggy when you are browsing to open one of them? Or do you mean you have 145 photos on the Home screen inside Affinity?

Would it be possible to make a quick screen recording? We've got a bunch of iPad's on iOS 11.4 and we haven't seen any performance issues like you are describing so a video might give us a big clue!

Have you restarted the iPad since installing Affinity? It might be worth doing but isn't normally required.

Ah, it looks like you've opened 145 photos inside a category within the app.

I've just loaded 70 jpeg images and it is incredibly laggy. I imagine raw files will be worse. I was under the impression this shouldn't affect performance so I'll need to show this to development. 

I would, for now, take all the images out and import the ones you want to edit. The only quick way of doing this is to uninstall the app (make a save of any edits you've already done). Otherwise, you have to delete them one-by-one.

I'll report back once I've had a chat with dev. Thanks for the video. 

Nothing yet. We normally write a bug report and wait for them to respond. It's hard to say whether or not loading that amount of raw images into the Home screen is what we should be doing, but it certainly lets you do it so it should really be working better than it is. 

Hi Dodgeruk,

I've just spoken with development and they have explained what is happening.

Basically, when you open a bunch of images in Affinity from Photos, they aren't Affinity files until you actually open and view them (notice the ones that don't have dimensions). In the Home screen, those files are trying to generate thumbnails from their source. Once opened in Affinity, they will have a thumbnail and browsing through them should be a breeze. 

The developers are looking into this now so we can hopefully find a quick solution.

I have at close to 1000 images I’d like to upload to the app, does this mean I would need to upload every single one individually and open them individually? Doesn’t seem like a professional experience considering that’s what the app is advertised as...

15 hours ago, Jordan22 said:

I have at close to 1000 images I’d like to upload to the app, does this mean I would need to upload every single one individually and open them individually? Doesn’t seem like a professional experience considering that’s what the app is advertised as...

Currently, yes. However, I have stated that the developers are looking to fix how this works so that you don't have to open each individual file for it to become an Affinity file.

The way you have approached using the app has opened up a new possibility which we would very much like to fix and improve. We just need a bit of time to do this and the developers seem very interested in doing so.

I'll update this thread once I hear of a fix/improvement.