You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Same Handle Position - Different Gradient Maps

Hello there,

I am currently playing around with the adjustments to get to know them a bit better and there is something about the gradient maps that quite baffles me:

I would have expected that when I insert an additional "circle" (I guess that would be called "handle"?) only the position of the handle would influence the gradient map. But I get completely different results, depending on where I originally created that handle. I have attached pictures to illustrate this a bit.

the first one shows the original gradient.

In the second picture, I created the handle at 3%, then dragged it to 88% (or 89%).

In the third picture, I directly created the handle at 88%.

Could anybody explain this to me, please?

And frankly, while I am asking about the gradient map: What are the additional handles in between supposed to do? I mean - yeah - you can add additional colors in between. But even if I stay within the same hue, they have an effect, though only on the lightness-value. And I'd like to understand that effect a little bit better.

Thank you very much in advance,

Dreamer

No Additional Handle.JPG

Handle created at 3% and dragged to 88%.JPG

Handle created at 88%.JPG

The circles are called "stops" or "color stops" because that is where one gradient color stops & another begins, I suppose. Each stop's color can be adjusted individually by selecting it & either by clicking on the "Colour:" button in the Gradient Map window or using the Colour Studio panel. Their positions can be adjusted either by dragging on a stop (in the window or on the canvas with the Gradient Tool selected) or by using the "Position:" field in the window.

If two adjacent stops have the same color, there will be no gradient color change between them (because they are the same color). I think that is what you are seeing in your screenshots -- there is not enough color variation between most of the stops to see a noticeable difference.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In addition to what R C-R said, please note the following:

• A. Suppose you created a gradient all over a rectangle, ranging from red on the left to yellow on the right.
  • B. Now, when you insert a gradient stop almost on the left, it will pick up the color value (“still very red”) that was computed for this position on the gradient vector as an interpolation between the color on the left and the right.
  • C. So when you move the newly created stop to the right, you will shift this picked up color along the gradient vector.
  • D. In contradistinction, when you insert a gradient stop almost on the right, it will, again, pick up the color value (“very yellow already”) that was computed for this position.
  • E. Moving the newly created gradient stop to the left, you will end up with a totally different picture.

This is the basic functionality regarding gradient editing, and it applies to the gradient map editor as well. Though I suggest having a look at the help files to learn how gradient maps work … :)

Alex

Gradient-Stops.thumb.png.43a928f6b51911785973fd84979d8364.png