You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggle to Zoom tool

Yes!
I started an illustration in AD yesterday and I miss it a lot.
Also, a way to temporarily switch to the pointer tool.
Sometimes I just finishes drawing something with the brush or any other tool and the curve came out fine but needs to be placed just a bit to the left, or whatever.
Having to press V to switch to the pointer tool, move the object and switching back to the tool it was set before is a nuisance.
There should be a modifier key that would, while pressed, change to the pointer tool.

• Staff

I propose a temporary shortcut to the Zoom tool when using the Move tool: pressing cmd-space shows the Zoom-In tool, pressing alt-space shows the Zoom-out tool.

Better yet if the toggling worked from any tool.

Seems sensible and harmless. We will have a look.

Once again, look at how Sketchbook Pro does it. Press the Space Bar and it brings up a gadget that you can move/zoom/rotate with just one key and the mouse/wacom pen.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

Matthias and rui_mac, you're basically describing the way it's done in illustrator. I will admit my muscle memory wants that setup as well.  ;)

GRscott, I know of a few apps that have this setup and I must say I'm not a fan of the gadget popup. I find it clunky and jarring to interact with arrows or a magnifying glass or numerical input interface that takes my focus away from what I'm working on.  

A quick key short to zoom > bam > and it toggles back to where you were and you move on... no thought required.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to use the zoom with the mouse wheel without having to keep pushed the ALT button every time. And if dragging (the hand) can be used buy keeping the mouse wheel pushed will be great!! :)

Thanks for this awesome programm , sure it has a lot to improve (although stability it's quiet ok!) but will be great!!

It does works great Matt, just when I was getting used to the scroll wheel zoom ;-)

... although sometimes it reverts to the hand tool and I have to retype the shortcut... (I'm making sure I don't hit the spacebar first) might be my fumbling fingers, anyone else have this happen?

For me (I'm too Autocad's user) the perfection would be been able to zoom ONLY with the mouse wheel and moving the whole canvas by keeping pushed the mouse wheel. (forgetting about alt, command , option ....) better use one than 2 hands.

It's very useful, fast and the natural way of going from one to other place in the canvas...

Thanks Matt, like I said, it's probably my fingers moving too fast...

re the scroll wheel for panning and zooming, I'm fine with that as long as there are ways to still pan and zoom with a tablet and pen workflow...

the new current setup is great.

• 2 years later...

I would like to toggle the option of zooming when I use the scroll wheel by holding down opt/alt.

I also am very used to holding cmd/ctrl first then space to temporarily use the zoom and scrub left and right to zoom in and out. I would be interested to see something like this addressed..

• Staff

Hi joshuab,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can toggle the option of zooming when you press and hold the ⌥ (option/alt) key. If you want to use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom by default you can enable it in Preferences, Tools section checking Use mouse wheel to zoom. You can also use scrubby zoom pressing and holding Space (first) + ⌘ (cmd) then dragging the mouse. 

Am i missing something?