You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I can only get my spellcheck in Affinity Designer (Windows) to work if I go to the language section at the bottom of the character panel and change it to English (British). The problem is that it won't stay as the default. For each new document I need to set it. If I open a previous document from when it wasn't working, I need to select the text first before it will use the British English language. It keeps using Unknown (en-Au).

Does anyone know how to set it as the default please?

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Konspaul said:

I don't even see my local language in the list. It should be Finnish. Where can I add it?

Annotation 2020-04-15 182048.png

You won't have Finnish in that list until you've added a Finnish dictionary.

Instructions for adding dictionaries are in the FAQ:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You will need to create a subfolder with a name in the format of xx-XX ( substituting xx-XX for the locale id ). You will need to copy your xx_XX.dic, xx_XX.aff and hyph_xx_XX.dic files to the subfolder. Now restart Affinity Publisher for the dictionaries to appear within the app.

Doesn't seem like https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries has Finnish dictionaries. Anyone know about this or where should I find Finnish .dic and .aff files for Windows?

3 minutes ago, Konspaul said:

Doesn't seem like https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries has Finnish dictionaries. Anyone know about this or where should I find Finnish .dic and .aff files for Windows?

Try

for the dictionary, and also a pointer a couple of posts below that one for hyphenation.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 7:07 AM, MEB said:

Hi Silver06,
[Edited] Create a text object, set the language for the spellcheck as you want, then go to menu Edit ▸ Defaults ▸ Save. The language selected should now be used for all new documents.

This was driving me nuts trying to figure how to set the dictionary language and then keep it. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Oh a side note, is there a Canadian dictionary for Affinity products?

Untitled.jpg

10 minutes ago, Scriptmonkey said:

Oh a side note, is there a Canadian dictionary for Affinity products?

I don't think so, but if you're on Mac it may be available through your system settings.

Your screenshot is so small that I'm not sure what Designer 's message says.

-- Walt
PC:

It says that it doesn't have the Can dictionary loaded, so it can't do a spellcheck. I know that my laptop is set to Canadian English (three guesses where I'm from), so that's probably it. I could change it to US, but my kids use it for school work so that would make things unnecessarily "fun" for them.