You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus Merge Halos

Hi Affinity Photo Team

I am a hardcore user of the Focus Merging function. In 90% of all tasks, it does an excellent job and I really prefer it even over Zerene and Helicon, because the AP (Affinity Photo) Focus Merging is super convenient to use.

But sometimes, the results the "pyramid" alike stacking algorithm, produces halos, where one never will expect it.

242232326_AffinityPhoto-UntitledModified(230.2)2018-06-1506-12-17.thumb.jpg.90dff8dcb7a8b347a800c412343e1289.jpg

FYC, to compare, Helicon Focus delivers using the "Method B" directly a much better result:

1245283676_HeliconFocus6.7.22018-06-1508-07-52.thumb.jpg.c7c3ed5f33200cb29b3a6f8f86f63b82.jpg

Method C (pyramid) of Helicon delivers similar "halo" results as AP's focus merging.

Even if Affinity has - in comparison to Zerene and Helicon - for sure the most convenient and fastest post focus merging edit process, please let me suggest this:

• Please add a depth map algorithm like Helicon's "Method B" (which should also to be tweaked in "radius" and "smoothing"), and make usage between pyramid and depth map selectable.
  • Loading raw files into Focus Merge always ends up in RGBA/16 - sRGB IEC61966-2.1 colour profile, please make this selectable I normally work with e.g. ProPhoto RGB.
  • Almost spinning wheel of death alike: If raw files are dropped into Focus Merge, switching between source layers in post feels like it takes an infinit amount of time, jpgs are faster but they are only 8 bit, fixed to white balance etc. and no go anyway. I prefer to do all edits post to the focus merging process and not prior to it. For this I need files in 16 bit and/or raw file quality as output of merging process. For post editing only the dial above, it would take hours just because of waiting source layers to be switched. This using a top of the edge iMac 5K.
  • In Focus Merge's post edit process, it should be possible to switch to next/previous source layer by pressing up/down arrow key, independent of "Toggle Source View" is active or not. Now, this is not possible at all. And as I already mentioned: please make source layers switching much much much faster.

I uploaded the raw files for you to test into https://drive.google.com/open?id=114J16UPSjvibHkN-Z5Rf1TyU3_SO7zpx

FYC: the images in link above are I are quick and dirty check of the cameras Focus Bracketing function, coming with the X-H1 firmware 1.10 yesterday. One set is with the XF16-55 lens the other one with the XF80mm Macro + XF1.4X tele converter. I uploaded also the Helicon "Method B" output for both without any mods.

Please do not hesitate to ask, if you have any questions.

I'd really appreciate any reply.

Best regards,
Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

When I was considering Affinity Photo purchase, I put it against focus stacking etc things as those were main reasons to get it. 

I used all kind macro photos as well landscape etc and Affinity Photo came almost always superior to Helicon Focus.

The halos you are seeing is from applying the data from images (layers) that has the detail out of focus. And in some situations it can be very challenging try to get it fixed as some lenses nodal point changes when focus is changed, so perspective changes as well and that means objects position in space moves and they ain't anymore where they should be. But Affinity Photo always could offer more controls to do stacking... 

Yes, that's exactly where the halos come from. But the point is, they only appear using "pyramid" algorithm (and I am quite sure, AP is using such algorithm or a similar/derivate one). Helicon also makes the same ugly halo using "Method C" (pyramid). But the halo does not occur on usage of depth map algorithm ("Method B" in Helicon). It just seams to be, sometimes pyramid, sometimes depth map does the better job. That is what one of my points listed above are targeting: Serif, please add a depth map algorithm. ;)

8 minutes ago, paristo said:

When I was considering Affinity Photo purchase, I put it against focus stacking etc things as those were main reasons to get it. 

I used all kind macro photos as well landscape etc and Affinity Photo came almost always superior to Helicon Focus.

The halos you are seeing is from applying the data from images (layers) that has the detail out of focus. And in some situations it can be very challenging try to get it fixed as some lenses nodal point changes when focus is changed, so perspective changes as well and that means objects position in space moves and they ain't anymore where they should be. But Affinity Photo always could offer more controls to do stacking... 

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)