You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

masking layer effects or: isn't there an easy way?

Hi,

i wanted to highlight some areas in a map as you can see on the attatched screenshot. But the way I achieved it (with AD on macOS) feels a little bit to complicated to me:

1. draw the vectorshape with no filling and the black outline. (shape A)
  2. duplicate it, remove the outline and add a filling. (shape B)
  3. add the shadow/gradient arround shape A with a layer effect.
  4. rasterize shape A and its effect.
  5. draw a rectangle as big as the document and use shape B to cut a hole into it.
  6. finaly use it to mask the rasterized shape A.

really?!?

My first idea was to create the wanted shape, add the shadow and mask the inner area of the shape. But the mask does not mask the layer effect.

Any idea how to get the wanted effect more easy and with more vector shapes/adjustable effects and less pixel layer?

Subquestion: How to "invert" masks? For example to make step 5 a little bit easier...

Thanks!

highlight.thumb.jpg.d80e33ee27cf31bfa55bae404975bcec.jpg

2 hours ago, ol4f said:

really?!?

My first idea was to create the wanted shape, add the shadow and mask the inner area of the shape. But the mask does not mask the layer effect.

Any idea how to get the wanted effect more easy and with more vector shapes/adjustable effects and less pixel layer?

I think you can achieve this particular result with one vector object (and an FX.... which will rasterize on output).

• Vector object, with black stroke, with white fill 100%, and Outer Shadow FX (fill knocks out shadow). Set the layer to Multiply. :)

(for non rasterized output the shadow will have to be done separate.... iow, not an FX)

2039246982_ScreenShot2018-06-14at12_35_02PM.thumb.png.106bb60af7874e280b2ae2771252f3d7.png

Another option...

Duplicate the stoked/filled/shadow object. Remove stroke and FX, group with the original, and set the copy to Erase. (Will also rasterize on export)

In this version you avoid the Multiply blend so you can have a colored outline etc.

788288274_ScreenShot2018-06-14at12_53_50PM.png.adf6968f6d349fb0659f1a25ba8166c7.png

And finally...... all vector. Shadow is a separate gradient. Of course with a more custom shape perhaps just that layer will need to be raster.... but still doable with just two objects. For a custom shape use the FX gradient set to Contour!

143464458_ScreenShot2018-06-14at1_03_32PM.thumb.png.08df95fbad24e15f933f53f7d50f4662.png