You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello All,

I have been having huge problems with printing, have used calibration, studied the tutorials, and am still no further forward.  I have worked back to some basic stuff and, for now, will ask about only one of the many things I don't understand.

1. I right-clicked on a file in the File Manager (Windows7) selected Print.  This took me to the printer dialog for my Canon PRO-100.  I was using HP Premium Plus paper.  I used High Quality and tried four different Media settings.  All were very good.  All were VERY close to what I saw on the monitor (which had been calibrated using a DataColor product)  The Photo Paper Glossy Plus II was, by the tiniest of margins, the best.  The default Intent setting was Perceptual.

2. Then I opened the same file in Photo (It was a jpg and I did no editing whatsoever.)  I then printed it using the printer to do any color management.  I chose exactly the same printer settings (Photo Paper Glossy Plus II, High quality, perceptual.  I expected the result to be exactly the same as the print I had done using the File Manager to get into the printer driver.  It was NOT.  It was not as good as any of the four prints I had made through the File Manager.

Does anyone know what might have happened?

Now I have had great results printing from Photo but usually when I have the ICC profile supplied by the paper vendor (e.g. Red River).  When I use other papers, I need to create profiles.  This is why I spent money on both monitor and printer calibration tools.  The results using the resulting profiles have been terrible.  I have been working backwards in an effort to find where the problems might start.  I have reached the (above) very simple test the results of which totally bewilder me.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Robin

• Staff

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the forums :)

Would it be possible for you to provide the file in question so I can test this at my end?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem...some of my prints coming out of Affinity Photo are not printing correctly. As a workaround, I have been exporting them as a .jpg file, then open and print them through Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, and I will get excellent results, while the exact same photo printing from Affinity Photo has problems. Has there been any solutions found to the original post yet?

Hello RASeven11,

I do not yet have a solution but am still working on the issue, with help from Serif.  I do, however, have some further information that may help some people and still many confusions.  Here's one, and one that Serif have not (yet) cleared up for me.

Why is it that, when one selects that the printer does the color management, that one still has to select a printer profile in the Affinity Photo dialog?  This does not sound appropriate to me because, since you want the printer to do the color management, you will select a printer profile in the printer dialogues.  Hence, I feel that, if one selects that the printer should do the color management, then the drop down (immediately below) for selecting a printer profile, should be grayed out.  I strongly suspect (see below for additional reasons why) that you are getting TWO printer profiles interacting (badly) with each other.

I am having a extreme troubles with software, calibration hardware (and software) and printers and, in general, finding support to be poor.  The following is but one problem but points to an ICC profiling conflict.

I have been searching for months, in the USA and in the UK, for suitable paper for a project I have.  I have gathered samples, created ICC profiles for the paper with my Canon PRO-100 printer, printed test photos - and found them all to be awful!!  Finally, I did find a paper that worked - paper from Red River with which I used the ICC PROFILE SUPPLIED BY RED RIVER.  Weeks later (I'm a bit slow on the uptake) I began to wonder why it was that the only paper that seemed to give decent prints was the one that I did NOT have to create my own ICC profile.  I started to work with Datacolor (the supplier of the calibration equipment I was using).  I sent them files and they told me that I had not switched printer profiling OFF as I am supposed to do when printing out the test patches.  But I HAD turned it off.  So then I contacted Canon because I was sure that I had followed, correctly, the procedure to turn printer profiling OFF.  Canon reaffirmed that I had, indeed, turned it off.  So there I was caught between two manufacturers; Datacolor said that I had not turned it off and Canon said that I had.  Well, finally, another Canon tech person wondered that perhaps I also had to go to Printers and Devices in the Control Panel, get to Printer Properties and select "Use my own settings".  So I tried that and, finally, managed to switch printer profiling off.  I use Windows 7.  So I had discovered a bug in the Canon printer driver for, even if one selects NONE for the Color/Intensity, it still uses a profile (that is, it is still in Auto mode).  So ALL my ICC profiles were useless.  Now, I still think that this has been only one of the problems because I did another test of my calibration equipment.  I read the same standard color patches (the 48 patch ColorCHECKR from Datacolor) five times - and got five, very different, results.  (Wildly different!)

I also get better prints printing directly from Windows Explorer than printing the same file, with the same settings from Affinity Photo.  I am still interacting with Serif on this one but, as of today, it appears to be a mystery to both of us.  I have been working on this for many months and the only progress I have made is to learn (finally) how to switch off printer profiling on the Canon PRO-100 under Windows 7.  If I do find a way to get good prints, I'll let you know.

• 2 months later...

I am also having problems with printer margins changing in Affinity Designer. Each time I use it the printer margins change even though I am using exactly the same settings so I cannot get anything to match up trying to do double sided printing is a joke. It has also caused the program to crash a couple of times with my Fuji Laser printer!

Without an image you use, the ICC profile, the same printer, the same screen (calibrated using the same model Datacolor screen calibrator), the same paper, and, the same ambient light in the room it's difficult to help but, we'll try :D

What ICC profile are you using or has been assigned from Affinity Photo (I know you want the printer to do all that but tell us anyway)

and, for testing purposes assign the red river ICC profile in Affinity Photo and then print from the printer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Aside from using icc profiles for the print media you are using ( these are almost always available from the paper manufacturer), I find it beneficial to turn OFF color management by the printer. This is done in the printer management window that opens when you click properties in the print window in AP.

print window.jpg

• 3 years later...