You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

drawing a plan of an virtual tour constellation

Hi,

I have been using Affinity Photo in a less conventional way. On a scanned plan, I wanted to indicate (in blue color) the plan of a virtual tour. 

If it is easy to trace a continuation of straight lines (with Shift down), it was difficult, even impossible, to add the independent sections of branches. We would say, that a strange magnetism obliged to begin these new lines from a point belonging to the previous line, not necessarily the last point. I did not manage to do what I wanted even by drawing on new layers. 

Can you explain me how to proceed?

Hubert

schemaVT.pdf

Hi, Hubas,

The Affinity suite makes vector objects by a series of co-ordinates from the 1st to the last. That series of co-ordinates may then be given "fill" and "stroke" attributes. So many people mis-take using the pen tool as something that can create a network of lines, when in fact it allows on to make a series of geometric shapes that may share the same space, but do not connect logically. "Pen" is just a convenient term, but is better called "bezier curve node maker."

In short, and as you experienced, one can only draw an outline, and branches from that cannot happen, and the outline cannot be closed, except by joining w. the first point.

I didn't notice you mentioned using Photo, so opened your file in Designer, which is what mostly use. It has features that are better suited for schematic renderings. The attached file can open in Photo.

1st, I used the pen tool in polygon mode, with it set to no fill and a solid stroke. I traced over your example from view points 1 thru 28. I then made separate lines for the extensions and pass thru connection on the tour. All were grouped on a single layer.

I then drew an Ellipse, and duplicated it by command dragging it to each waypoint. These I also placed on its own layer above the line path. If you were using Designer, the circles could be made into symbols, and have color and shape changes applied all together, making design changes so much easier.

I then duplicated the line layer, selected all the lines. I used the menu command "Layer, Expand Stroke." That turned all the strokes to polygon shapes. I then did a geometric add for all of them, which makes a networked shape that has adjustable attributes of its own

Hope this helps.

schemaVT.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet