You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello All,

I am a newbie. I was exploring to make new designs. I bumped upon this attached cover page. It has an engraving look, I tried to do it also checked youtube for engraving text or shapes but could not replicate it closely. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Cp

26c2c4fc0090c7045470754a6a5a687f.jpg

• Staff

Hi Cp3,

Welcome to the forums.

Once you have your text in place you could try applying a Bevel/Emboss from the Layer Effects panel, perhaps the Pillow type. Then adjust the settings and maybe the layers opacity to get the required effect.

Hehe Cp3,

I think if you want a real looking effect you have to use AfD and AfP after to retouch (for the shadow-effect of the paper and how it effects the engravings)...

LEFT
In AfD I have used a very thin line, gaussian-blur effect to make it visually disappear, outer-shadow-effect as lightening (because you can change the direction) and outer-glow for the darker part to give "substance". it's too blurry in my example, but that is adjustable within the different effects.

RIGHT
Same thin line but with Bevel/Emboss effect + outer-shadow-effect as lightening.

I attached my AfD-file for you, if you'd like to go down that road.

However, it seems that it requires some heavy retouching in AfP afterwards, to partially remove the effect/play with transparancy...

Hope that helps you at least a little bit.

engraving.afdesign

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 20.03.30.png

I worked on hannah's nice sample in AD. I used the transparency tool over the line to help blend them into the background where there was less light or contrast. Thanx, hanna.

Hannas-engraving-mod.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@catlover Thank you for the styles and sharing the location for import. I am able to extend the use of it in my projects.

@Lee D Thank you for sharing the inputs, I did use them at first but could not arrive at a satisfactory result. Owing to the fact that I am still picking up stuff :).

@hannah Thanks so much for making a file, it was really helpful. I could understand the process better.

@gdenby Thanks much for extending the design, good learning.

Thanks all for being so helpful in short time.

• 2 years later...