fhautog

Change canvas size doesn't work correctly

Hello, I report the following bug: When I want to change the canvas-size, Affinity Photo doesnt care about the position of the anchor. It always uses the anchor left and top.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on Mac OSX 10.11.6

Greetings Frank

Hi fhautog,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback/support. This is working correctly for me on High Sierra. I'm assuming you are using the menu Document ▸ Resize Canvas....

If you are using the menu command then it may be something specific to OS X El Capitan. I don't have a machine running it here, hopefully someone from the support/QA team will pick this up.

Hi fhautog

I'm not able to replicate this either. Are you able to provide any examples video etc for us to look into? are you using an specific files or objects?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi fhautog,
This may also happen if you cropped the document previously as the cropped parts remain there although not visible (the crop in non-destructive). If that's the case right-click the Background layer and select Rasterise to get rid of the cropped parts. Then use the Document ▸ Resize... command as usual. It should work as you'd expect.

Hello all of you,

thanks for your interest in my bugreport.
I create a new document, set the size to 148x105mm and klick OK.
Than I place guidelines round about the canvas at the positions 0,0,145,105
Next step without any elements is, to change the canvas to 150x107mm, anchor centered.
the result is, that Affinity doesn't use the anchor from the center, but left top.
I will try the same on MAC OSX 10.13 and report here.
Greetings Frank

Hello,

I have testet this on my macbook pro with MAC OS 10.13.
I can reproduce the bug. Affinity Photo ignores the position of the anchor.
Greetings Frank

Hello,
When I create a new document, set the size to 148x105mm and klick OK.
than place an rectangle object exactly from 0;0 to 148;105 and change now the canvas, it works correctly.
Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on Mac OSX 10.11.6

Greetings Frank

On 6/14/2018 at 8:18 AM, fhautog said:

Hello all of you,

thanks for your interest in my bugreport.
I create a new document, set the size to 148x105mm and klick OK.
Next step without any elements is, to change the canvas to 150x107mm, anchor centered.
the result is, that Affinity doesn't use the anchor from the center, but left top.
I will try the same on MAC OSX 10.13 and report here.
Greetings Frank

Hi fhautog,
I'm still unable to reproduce this. How are you performing the step i highlighted above? Where are you changing the document dimensions to those new dimensions (what menu or panel)?

Hi fhautog,
Thanks for the clip, it helps considerably. The canvas is being resized correctly, respecting the center anchor point. [EDIT] I think you are expecting the guides to adjust their positions accordingly - which doesn't happen - they are kept at their original positions, using the top-left corner as the origin and so the 2mm added to each dimension of the canvas (width and height) will appear to the right and bottom of the guides [EDITED]

Hello MEB,

no that is not the point. I think, you also have the program Affinity Designer. If you make there the same steps until the positioning of the guidelines and then go to documentproperties, you can reproduce, what I mean. After resizing the guidelines remain centered and I get a border round about the document.
In Affinity Photo what use is the field with the anchors, if it doesn't make any difference, where I set the anchor?
With kindly regards
Frank

Hi fhautog,

I've edited my previous reply. Please check it again.
What i mean is the guides in Affinity Photo don't honour the anchor point when you resize the canvas. The canvas itself does respect the anchor point.

This is the reason why when you used a rectangle instead of the guides it worked right. The additional canvas space was added to all sides of the canvas/rectangle.
When you use just the guides alone seems it's not working because the guides themselves don't respect the anchor point and since you don't have any other visual reference it looks like the canvas is not being resized from the center.

If there's something wrong here is that the guides don't adjust their coordinates/position to reflect the anchor point chosen when you rescale the canvas. This is what makes this a little confusing or am i missing something? 

Try the example you mentioned a little earlier. Draw a coloured rectangle the same size as the canvas (no guides). Then scale the canvas and chose the center anchor point (or another one you want). As you will see the empty space added to the canvas respects the anchor point you have chosen. Then repeat the same thing with the rectangle and the guides - set the anchor point to the center. You will see that again the empty space was added to all sides respecting the anchor point chosen however the guides are now off center. They are still respecting the old origin point.

Hello MEB,

thank you for your detailed answer. Yes it is a little bit confusing, but the example with the rectangle works.
I usually work with Affinity Designer and there the document scales the way I think is correct. Now I give lessons in Affinity Photo and there occured the different behavier of the program.
But the workaround you described, is a way to get what I want.
Thank you for your help.
Best wishes
Frank

36 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Frank,
I see what you mean. Designer does adjust/position the guides properly when performing an equivalent operation. I have logged this to be looked at.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Hello MEB, thank you for logging my thread. with kindly regards
Frank