You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't know if I am missing something here, but when I print or export a file with bleed the crop marks only appear on the full bleed size not the finished print area as my printer demands. He wants to be able to guillotine to the perfect size after printing. In InDesign both sets of marks can be added - full bleed area and final cut down size. If anyone could help that would be much appreciated or maybe this system to be added to a future update if I haven't missed the point.

• Staff

Hi Passenger John,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The finished print area must equal to the canvas size you set for your document. The background/background objects must then extend beyond the canvas area or am i missing something/misunderstood you? Can you please attach your file in that case so i can see how you have set it up? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Passenger John said:

I don't know if I am missing something here, but ... In InDesign both sets of marks can be added - full bleed area and final cut down size...

Affinity products currently only can include trim marks, not bleed marks. The area still bleeds to the extent that is setup in the document's settings so long as items extend to or past that amount in the document settings though.

This (the bleed marks) not being present shouldn't be important to any print service. They indicate something that is pretty obvious.

Mike

On 6/13/2018 at 12:37 PM, MEB said:

Hi Passenger John,
The finished print area must equal to the canvas size you set for your document. The background/background objects must then extend beyond the canvas area or am i missing something/misunderstood you? Can you please attach your file in that case so i can see how you have set it up? Thanks.

This is what I am trying to describe. This is an example of a 105 x 148.5mm card. When an Illustrator page is exported as PDF with bleed added, the cut marks remain at the finished size, where as when I export a page from AFD the cut marks move to the extent of the bleed. I find this makes it much harder to cut a job down to a true finished size.

AFD.pdf

Illustrator.pdf

On 6/13/2018 at 12:10 PM, MickRose said:

That's strange. It works okay for me. Screenshot attached of A4 with trim marks. mick

2018-06-13 12_07_37-PDF for Imposition2.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.png

This is what I am trying to describe. This is an example of a 105 x 148.5mm card. When an Illustrator page is exported as PDF with bleed added, the cut marks remain at the finished size, where as when I export a page from AFD the cut marks move to the extent of the bleed. I find this makes it much harder to cut a job down to a true finished size.

AFD.pdf

Illustrator.pdf

On 6/13/2018 at 1:57 PM, Przemysław said:

Hi @Passenger John 

Make sure you tick a box in Export Settings -> More... button ->  Include printers marks, and tick Include bleed. Send a file so we can have a look.

I hope it helps!

Export.PNG

AFD.pdf

Illustrator.pdf

On 6/13/2018 at 12:37 PM, MEB said:

Hi Passenger John,

AFD.pdf

Illustrator.pdf

It may help if you also provide the .afdesign file which you used when exporting that .pdf file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

AFD.pdf

Illustrator.pdf

57 minutes ago, Passenger John said:

AFD.pdf

Illustrator.pdf

It works fine when I do it using either of the two methods.

I set the page size to A5.

a5.jpg.94e3d3b1035a44e27aa11963bcf6e0e5.jpg

Used document setup to set 3mm bleed all round

dsf.jpg.65af410da4ce4335e90d3719f80a1e17.jpg

Print to A5 extra with bleed and crop matks set.

a5extra.jpg.09a48b85ad729cfbc141dc981d3e8bd0.jpg

The green is bled by 3mm

gr.jpg.8680445fe5864da90dec97f21580d47a.jpg

The orangey red is to the A5 page.

Exactly the same results if I export the file using the Designer PDF Export option

exs.jpg.4c9daa1785338f8264ef96abfbc2de49.jpg

dex.jpg.f5a122c0e2d0c4ed80360f02bca02c21.jpg

All files included in case it helps

export fromdesigner.pdf

printfromdesigner.pdf

bleeding.afdesign

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

You do not have the rectangle extending into the bleed area,

or you do not have bleed settings set properly in the document set up, 

or you are not including bleed when creating the pdf,

or ...

And without your AD file, who knows.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

It works fine when I do it using either of the two methods.

I set the page size to A5.

a5.jpg.94e3d3b1035a44e27aa11963bcf6e0e5.jpg

Used document setup to set 3mm bleed all round

dsf.jpg.65af410da4ce4335e90d3719f80a1e17.jpg

Print to A5 extra with bleed and crop matks set.

a5extra.jpg.09a48b85ad729cfbc141dc981d3e8bd0.jpg

The green is bled by 3mm

gr.jpg.8680445fe5864da90dec97f21580d47a.jpg

The orangey red is to the A5 page.

Exactly the same results if I export the file using the Designer PDF Export option

exs.jpg.4c9daa1785338f8264ef96abfbc2de49.jpg

dex.jpg.f5a122c0e2d0c4ed80360f02bca02c21.jpg

All files included in case it helps

export fromdesigner.pdf

printfromdesigner.pdf

bleeding.afdesign