You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Real estate photography workflow

Hello, i want to help my wife with a realtor job. I have no experience in Ph nor Affinity, trying to watch all tutorial, still, i have a few questions.

- does it make sense to take raw for that purpose, mainly indoors photos?

- if so, how exactly should i work? First develop every raw, then merge them as jpeg - exposure merge?

- can anyone recommend video on the subject?

Any tips or suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you in advance

• Staff

Hi @Scorp,

Welcome to the forums. 

Your questions are more or less a personal preference rather than a standard workflow. 

1 hour ago, Scorp said:

does it make sense to take raw for that purpose, mainly indoors photos?

Raw vs jpeg - an endless topic. Some prefer Raw, some Jpeg, some both. Once you start to find your style, you will find which works better for you. https://affinityspotlight.com/article/raw-actually/

1 hour ago, Scorp said:

- if so, how exactly should i work? First develop every raw, then merge them as jpeg - exposure merge?

We would not know what style do you aim for. You will have to find yours by trial and error. 

There is no "real estate" preset or workflow as far as I'm aware. Everybody has its own personal touch on their workflow. 

You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams 

A lot depends on what your wife's trying to achieve.  On the one hand she might want an image that's exactly what the camera would have taken if only she'd got everything right, on the other hand, she might want one that gives a better impression of what people actually see.  Both are reasonable approaches but they require different processing. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Perhaps I was not specific enough. I can manage to take standard photos. I don't know how to proceed with multiple exposure photos to achieve best possible quality. If I go with raw, do I need to develop each exposure photo and then merge them in photo persona? Is there some way to marge raw? 

46 minutes ago, Scorp said:

If I go with raw, do I need to develop each exposure photo and then merge them in photo persona?

Yes, it is better to develop first, then merge. If you try to merge raw files, then you have no control over the develop process. I presume you are thinking about HDR merging.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630