You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking vector layer to vector layer coming out rasterized?

So I only deal with vector art because I design t shirts and it needs to be vectorized. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.. I’m trying to get an American flag to completely cover or ‘mask’ a figure that’s my original artwork for a Fourth of July design... I’ve tried the “mask to below method” but when I export as a pdf it still comes out rasterized which I can’t have... does anyone know what I’m doing wrong or could help me/ explain to me how add these layers together and have it come out vectorized? Thank you all so much!

• Staff

Hi hahern11,

Welcome to the forums :)

It may be a few things here, most likely your export options. In the Export panel click the More... option, and you should see a Rasterise drop-down, which you can change from 'Unsupported properties' to 'Nothing'.
If this does not help, it would be useful to have a look at your .afdesign file. If you don't wish to make this public, you can attach it in a direct message to me through my profile page. Thanks!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

It still comes out rasterized.. am I going to have to make the image all over again to have it look the way I want it too? It shouldn’t be this hard to layer a vector art on top of one another vector art and have the top layer melt into the bottom one.. this is kinda ridiculous. 

B412316F-2AF3-4510-BB24-842C721AF4D3.jpeg

I just sent that as an example because I cannot send the artwork I’m doing the masking with because of copyright and intellectual property. I need to make a vector flag, melt or mask into my vector art and have it export as a pdf with no rasterization to be printed. Everything is converted to curves everything is vectorized. If I was to export the flag by itself it is 100% vectorized. If I export my artwork it is 100% vectorized. As soon as I combine them with the mask to below method it exports rasterized. This is literally the most frustrating thing and makes zero sense to me.

Does anyone know how I can get ahold of the technical support people at affinity and have them tell me what I’m doing wrong or how to do this right? I would appreciate it!

I realized that after I sent it.. but the same thing happened where it exports and rasterizes... when I export my image without the American flag mask it exports as a pdf with no rasterization. But when I add the American flag mask, it exports as rasterized.. I don’t understand why. It makes no sense. Unless affinity makes it so I can’t put a vector American flag over my vector art and have it come out vectorized? Like is this possible? I know you can do this no problem in Adobe illustrator, can even do vector erase.. I don’t feel like spending 30$ a month for that tho lol...

11 minutes ago, Wosven said:

@JimmyJack it seems it's this part that's causing trouble…

v01.pdf

v02.pdf

American Flag Mask.afdesign

2018-06-13_214127.png

Yes, clearly in the circle example the stroke is the culprit, but the OP stated that there are no strokes in the actual artwork

(I'm assuming he means on the mask flag object and not referring the object being masked).

17 hours ago, hahern11 said:

I’m trying to get an American flag to completely cover or ‘mask’ a figure that’s my original artwork for a Fourth of July design... 

You could try clipping instead. (that way u don't have to worry about strokes at all.)

714036191_ScreenShot2018-06-13at4_13_34PM.thumb.png.44f2c0c93f94ec29363488ee3611870e.png

From the tests above, clipping (v01.pdf) and masking (v02.pdf) end up with a PDF using clipping.

The bad one is the masking clipping, since it adds the mask as a mask and as a form with color at the bottom, and the color add a light stroke visible on the PDF.

But there's no rasterisation.

Edited by Wosven
Oups, the one adding a visible stroke is clipping.

1 minute ago, owenr said:

No, it's your clipping test export that contains a problematic grey disc at the bottom of the stack. 

If you'd used an unfilled circle as the clipping shape then there would have been no disc or circle at the bottom of the stack.

Yes, I edited my post but the "Activity page" doesn't take it in account :S