You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DxO has updated the NIK Plugins. Will Serif be committed to keep Affinity Photo compatible?

It looks like DxO has finally updated the NIK Collection they acquired from google.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

What are the plans for this important plugin suite at Serif? Since the plugins are now commercial software again (but at least much cheaper than what they were sold for once) it would be nice to know whether keeping Affinity Photo compatible is a priority at Serif or not. I would not want to spend money for those plugins only to end up in a compatibility mess.

14 hours ago, John Rostron said:

It would be interesting to know if the new plugins actually work withe AP.

John

Just download the trial version and try it out.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi altae, John Rostron,

Most DxO Nik Collection plugins don't run on the Mac (Analog Efex Pro 2, Colour Efex Pro 4 , Silver Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro 2). They get stuck at some point. It's better keep using the (free) Google version for now.

All DxO Nik Collection plugins run on Affinity Photo for Windows, however there may be a few pontual issues due to plugins implementation/support differences between Affinity Photo and Photoshop. I still have to check each one individually so it's better to install the trial and see if they do everything you are expecting.

A first test appears to be positive with the exception of the viveza plugin that only shows a black & white preview. Or is it meant to be this way?

Edit: If I run the plugin in the standalone version the preview is displayed in colours.

Downloaded  the trial version and with the exception of Viveza 2 everything worked acceptably that I could see. Viveza 2 showed a heavy pink color cast  and there were no changes I could make to the document color format that would correct the situation.  However, since I was more interested in the other parts of the Nik Collection I went ahead and bought it. But, when I tried to activate any of the Nik products it failed with the message that I was not connected to the internet.  I then tried to run one of the products standalone which worked just fine but again it failed when I tried to activate.

Last night I submitted a trouble report with DxO and when they respond I'll post here how it worked out. 

Running Windows 10 latest updates.

Butch

Situation Resolved with not being able to activate DxO Nik Collection running on Windows 10.

@dominik Got the response from DxO

Monday, June 11, 2018 

I heard from DxO Support a shot time ago.  They resolved my problem of not being able to activate my copy of  DxO Nik Collection running on Windows 10 with latest updates.  These are the steps they had me follow:
1. Uninstall DxO Nik Collection
2. Go to the folder C:\ProgramData\DxO Labs\Licenses
3. Delete the two files nik2018demo.lic and nik2018.lic  (you may only find one)  In my case the file that was there was nik2018demo.lic
4. Reinstall DxO Nik Collection

Following those steps I was able to activate my paid copy of DxO Nik Collection and run plugins in Affinity Photo.  I hope this may be of help to others.  Dxo Support was very prompt in working with this. I submitted my support ticket on Thursday. I started a dialog on Saturday and the situation was resolved on Monday. Given the support folks were responding to a new release I was very pleased with their support.

Butch

23 hours ago, MarvinR said:

But, when I tried to activate any of the Nik products it failed with the message that I was not connected to the internet. 

Same thing happened here when I was trying to install the trial version :(

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 minutes ago, dominik said:

Same thing happened here when I was trying to install the trial version :(

d.

Waiting to hear from DxO support on this issue dominik and will be sure to post when i get an answer. DxO support has been very good in the past about resolving issues. Everything except Veviza 2 works ok in the demo mode. So, I really think the activation situation can be addressed by them.

Butch

2 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

Waiting to hear from DxO support on this issue dominik and will be sure to post when i get an answer. DxO support has been very good in the past about resolving issues. Everything except Veviza 2 works ok in the demo mode. So, I really think the activation situation can be addressed by them.

Butch

Thanks for the heads up, @MarvinR :)

BTW, do you run them on a high resolution monitor? That is my main problem with the old (= free) version. They don't scale at all.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

@dominikMy monitor resolution is 1920x1080

Butch

Hi @MarvinR / Butch,

then I assume the plugins look ok on your screen. I do have a resolution of 3840x2160 which basically makes all of the UI half the size. I have not found a way to fix this.

For the standalone versions of the plugins (are plugins in their standalone version still plugins ;)) I can make them to scale.

d.

48 minutes ago, dominik said:

I assume the plugins look ok on your screen.

@dominik  yes the plugins look ok on my 1920x1080 screen running in demo mode both as a plugin and when I ran HDR Efx Pro,.

Edited by MarvinR
Added: Using Windows 10 latest updates.

21 hours ago, MarvinR said:

@dominik  yes the plugins look ok on my 1920x1080 screen running in demo mode both as a plugin and when I ran HDR Efx Pro,.

A wait of 24 hours and a reboot did the trick. The Nik (demo) install worked, finally. 

The plugins load into APh but the problem with screen resolution persists. The whole UI is tiny due to the high resolution of my monitor.
The stand alone versions can be adapted with settings in the *.exe files properties.

For now I hesitate to buy.

d.

I am on a Mac (OS 10.13.4) Using the latest version of Affinity Photo(1.6.7) and had the NIK package previously installed and working.  I just paid for the new updated DXO version.  I have not been able to find a way to get the New DXO version of NIK to connect and work when called from within Affinity.  I deselected the old version of NIK and redirected to the location of the new version of NIK within Preferences, but does not help.  I can then redirect to the old version and they still work (well at least the way they used to, Viveza was problematic before).

P.S. the new version of NIK works fine when called from within Lightroom or when opened directly.

8 hours ago, rssacl said:

I deselected the old version of NIK and redirected to the location of the new version of NIK within Preferences, but does not help.

Hi @rssacl,

welcome to the forum. By 'deselect the old version' do you mean you 'Removed' the path to the plugins from the list?

Actually, adding the new location of the new NIK plugins was the way I got it to work. But I am on Windows.

d.

dominik, I did simply remove the link for the path to the old plugin, and then added the new path to the updated software.  It did not work on the MAC.  Seems the issue has something to do with the MAC OS.  But I'm no expert.

4 hours ago, rssacl said:

dominik, I did simply remove the link for the path to the old plugin, and then added the new path to the updated software.  It did not work on the MAC.  Seems the issue has something to do with the MAC OS.  But I'm no expert.

Yes that's the way it should work. Maybe some other MAC users will chime in. Sorry, I could not help.

d.

2 hours ago, altae said:

According to MEB's post the new version of the Nik Collection currently does not work with Affinity Photo on Mac. So I highly doubt anybody can help at this time.

I did not see MEB's post. But that may be an explanation.

d.