You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello There!

I work with a graphic designer from Dubai on designing numerous graphic designs that are related to marketing. The program i was recommending to him was Affinity because of its simplicity, support and the one time purchase fee. My designer wanted to incorporate Arabic letters in the design and he downloaded a font off of the web in the form of OTF. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Arabic alphabet that the writing starts from right to left instead of the opposite. After trial and error and spending hours trying to figure out if the software supports the alphabet we came out with a conclusion: Affinity designer doesn't support Arabic/Farsi/Urdu alphabets. However, the program supports symbolic calligraphy which means the letters were treated like symbols rather than an actual font. I have a special request from the developers to update their software and make it compatible with the Arabic/Farsi/Urdu languages just like in Adobe Illustrator. I was and still (sorta) an Adobe user, but i much rather use Affinity because of it's functionality and one time purchase fee instead of the monthly subscription trap that Adobe offers. 

Thank you so much and i hope my voice reaches to the developers because i am representing millions and millions of Arabic speaking people that comes from Arabic speaking countries that would like to have an alternative to Adobe software with the same great power house. :)

7 hours ago, Jadsnation said:

Hello There!

I work with a graphic designer from Dubai on designing numerous graphic designs that are related to marketing. The program i was recommending to him was Affinity because of its simplicity, support and the one time purchase fee. My designer wanted to incorporate Arabic letters in the design and he downloaded a font off of the web in the form of OTF. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Arabic alphabet that the writing starts from right to left instead of the opposite. After trial and error and spending hours trying to figure out if the software supports the alphabet we came out with a conclusion: Affinity designer doesn't support Arabic/Farsi/Urdu alphabets. However, the program supports symbolic calligraphy which means the letters were treated like symbols rather than an actual font. I have a special request from the developers to update their software and make it compatible with the Arabic/Farsi/Urdu languages just like in Adobe Illustrator. I was and still (sorta) an Adobe user, but i much rather use Affinity because of it's functionality and one time purchase fee instead of the monthly subscription trap that Adobe offers. 

Thank you so much and i hope my voice reaches to the developers because i am representing millions and millions of Arabic speaking people that comes from Arabic speaking countries that would like to have an alternative to Adobe software with the same great power house. :)

Hello @Jadsnation and wellcome to the forum.

This is a request that was posted several times. I want to point you to one thread that has posts from several years and also some statements from Serif staff.
Unfortunately there is only the goal to implement right to left language support but it seems to take time to do it :(

See here: [Multi] RTL language text support

Sorry to give you a little disappointing answer to your first post here.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil