You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I'm actually using Affinity Designer Beta 1.1.2.23074 and I have a huge problem: apparently any shortcut that I have tried that involve the use of the square brackets ("[", "]") doesn't work for me. I cannot resize a stroke and I cannot move a selection to front or to the back. I can however select from the the dropdown menu the corresponding items and do these operations, but it's at least 10 times slower than by using the proper shortcut and for this reason very annoying.

On the official 1.1.2 I can move objects between layers but I can't manage to change the brush size.

Could this be caused because I'm using a MacBook Pro with an Italian keyboard? I don't have on my keyboard two keys for the square brackets, instead I have two different keys ("è" and "+"), and in order to write brackets I have to press "command" + "è" and "command" + "+". In the past I had the same problem with Photoshop since I was unable to move between layers because Adobe used the same keys and like Affinity Designer, that particular shortcut wasn't customizable.

This is a GIF with the layout of the keys on my keyboard:

http://support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT2841/Italian.gif

Could you help me, this is really a showstopper for me.

Goto (on your Mac) 

Settings > Keyboard > Input Sources

Bottom left of this panel is a + & - symbol for adding keyboards.

Click the +

Choose USA Keyboard.

It should show you where (on your keyboard) you can now enter the [ and ] keys.

Before you close out of here, be sure that 

"Show Input menu in menu bar" is ticked, you'll need this.

Now exit out of here.

Restart Affinity Designer, you probably won't need to restart your computer.

Once in Affinity Designer, enter some text in Italian.

Now goto the top right of your computer's screen, you should see an Italian flag or something else similar indicating you're using the Italian keyboard.

Click this, and it will drop down a list of options of other keyboards to choose. 

Pick the USA keyboard.

See if that makes the shortcuts work.

If it does... then you can use Apple Script to write a keyboard shortcut that switches you between these keyboard settings instantly so you can make this a little less painful.

Sorry, I can't find how to upload images to show you this.

Obviously I've added Italian at the bottom, that's where USA should be for you:

And in the Status Bar, that's what you switch between:

Hope this helps.

I have a computer with a Japanese keyboard, one with a Chinese keyboard and one with an English keyboard, so I know your pain.

Lemme know how you get on.

post-2018-0-40557200-1424905873_thumb.png

post-2018-0-82155800-1424905938_thumb.png

Thank you very much.

Yes, if I switch to a US Keyboard as you mentioned I can use the shortcuts. If I switch back to the italian keyboard I can't use them anymore.

I guess this mean I'll have to switch back and forth the US and the Italian keyboards until Serif will allow to customize the shortcut keys...