You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting photos Mac's Photo app

I am  a newbie and would like to know if AP can export the jpeg images directly to Photos app or Photo library. At the moment I can only see and export photos back to  a folder  under either Document folder  on my MacBook Pro.

Am I missing something to get the photos directly in  Photos app please.

• Staff

Hi Ajay,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you are using macOS High Sierra you can use the "Edit in" feature to send the image from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo, edit it, then send it back to Apple Photo automatically: with the image in full screen in Apple Photos go to menu Image ▸ Edit with ▸ Affinity Photo (if you are in thumbnails view, right-click the ithumbnail and select Edit with ▸ Affinity Photo). The image will be sent to Affinity Photo. Edit it as you see fit then close/save the file in Affinity Photo. The edited image will be sent back to Apple Photos.

Alternatively you can also use Affinity Photo extensions in Apple Photos to edit the image inside Apple Photos with the extensions or send it to Affinity Photo as well using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension. To access them, double-click the thumbnail to open it  in Apple Photos, click the Edit button on the top-right of the interface (it will turn to dark interface) then click the Ellipsis icon on the top right of the interface and select the Affinity extension you want to use.

I just spent a lot of time editing a photo, and I would now like the edited photo to be sent back to Apple Photo. I tried Callum's suggestion of choosing File >Share>Add to Photos. When I did this, my Photos app bounced in the dock, but when I opened it, the edited photo is not there. Instead, all I have is the original photo. Am I missing a step here?

I tried closing and reopening Photo after performing this procedure, but my editied photo still did not show up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Well, this is strange. After posting my previous message about Apple Photos not saving my edited photos, this morning, when I went back to my computer, I discovered the the files I'd edited in Affinity Photo and added to Photos were indeed there. There was clearly a time delay in this process before they showed up. So, I guess the method of saving them works, albeit a little slowly.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1