276ccm

Affinity Photo (iPad) - Crashes every time

The app has been working fine for a couple of weeks, but this morning it crashed.. 

I reopened the app, and started drawing again. When I was going to go back to the gallery with all my files, it crashed again. 

Tried to create a new document, drawing a line, and going back to the gallery, crashes.. 

I tried to restart the iPad, but same thing continues to happen. It just crashes.. 

When I’m in gallery, it looks like from the preview thumbnails that my changes appears, but when I open the document, it has no changes.. 

I have not installed any new apps, only updated YouTube from AppStore. 

iPad Pro 12,9 (second generation) 

iOS 11.4

Affinity Photo 1.6.7

Now affinity photo is useless.. I can’t continue to work, as it only crashes every time I go back to gallery, and it doesn’t save the changes I did in the document. 

What to do? :-) 

I did some more testing.. 

I set the auto save interval to minimum.. 30 (I guess that is seconds) and within a minute, the app crashes.. tested several times. 

Then I set the auto save to maximum 2700.. and I can continue to work, without any crashes for now.. 

But, when I go back to gallery, it still crashes, and no changes applies when I open again.. 

So it look it has something to do with the saving process.. 

i also tried to save a copy, but crashes.. 

At last I could export the document as a psd file and then import it again.. and continue to work. And it doesn’t crash.. for now :-) 

Opening the old document, do changes and this one still crashes.. but the new exported/imported document works fine.. 

Still a little strange, but for now I’m safe :-) 

I have the same problem when working on jpeg. Accepting development change causes application crash. But if I export file to psd then import and do same edit it’s fine.

Makes this pretty useless, I don’t have time to convert all 100+ files to psd then import and then edit.

iPad Pro 9.7

iOS 11.4

Affinity Photo 1.6.7

Photo iPad-2018-06-11-121042.ips

13 hours ago, jrq said:

I have the same problem when working on jpeg. Accepting development change causes application crash. But if I export file to psd then import and do same edit it’s fine.

Makes this pretty useless, I don’t have time to convert all 100+ files to psd then import and then edit.

iPad Pro 9.7

iOS 11.4

Affinity Photo 1.6.7

Photo iPad-2018-06-11-121042.ips

How to get the ips file? And I can post mine too, if any interest for the Affinity team.. but I guess it’s the same bug :-) 

I’m quite a newbie to Affinity tho, so it won’t be many files to export if it happens again. :-) 

2 hours ago, jrq said:

Please find it explained here, you can export to file: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24400414/how-to-locate-app-crash-logs-in-iphone-ipad

The location is different in iOS 11. Instead of going to 

Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostic & Usage Data

you have to go to 

Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics -> Analytics Data

You can upload a *.ips file as an attachment to a forum post.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.4.104) • Affinity Photo (1.6.4.104) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 iOS 11.4 (iPad Air 2)

Hey 276ccm,

1. Open your file and click the Document button and then click Save a Copy
  2. Make sure Save history is not enabled and then click Save
  3. Save it to 'On My iPad' or your cloud service
  4. From Home, click Preferences > Reduce the Undo limit to say 20 or 30
  5. Work on the file and see if you can reproduce the crash when pressing Home

Yesterday we identified an issue that was causing the app to crash when returning to the Home screen. I cannot say for sure if this is what is affecting you but if it is, we should have it fixed. It might be worth sending me the file (not the copy you will make from the above steps).

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey 276ccm,

1. Open your file and click the Document button and then click Save a Copy
  2. Make sure Save history is not enabled and then click Save
  3. Save it to 'On My iPad' or your cloud service
  4. From Home, click Preferences > Reduce the Undo limit to say 20 or 30
  5. Work on the file and see if you can reproduce the crash when pressing Home

Yesterday we identified an issue that was causing the app to crash when returning to the Home screen. I cannot say for sure if this is what is affecting you but if it is, we should have it fixed. It might be worth sending me the file (not the copy you will make from the above steps).

Hey, I just did what you said! 

When working on the original file after it still crashes.. but I tried to import the saved copy, and it looks like I can work on that one, without crashes, so far :-) 

I can send you the original file if you want, or maybe now you want both? 

The strange thing, I couldn’t locate the original file on my iPad.. but maybe my head is messing with me :-) 

where should the original file be located? I guess it’s a place where all files are located :-) 

I should have made it more clear to use the copy you had just made—glad you figured that out hehe.

The original will be located on the Home screen and nowhere else, unless you made a copy. If you could send me the original that would be swell. I don't think I need the copy :) 

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I should have made it more clear to use the copy you had just made—glad you figured that out hehe.

The original will be located on the Home screen and nowhere else, unless you made a copy. If you could send me the original that would be swell. I don't think I need the copy :) 

Forgot to press save from the home screen, that’s why I didn’t find it on my iPad :-) 

I’ll send it as soon as I get home and have internet connection on the iPad :-) 

Thanks for making Affinity Photo such a great experience, even some bugs :-) 

Appreciate it!

Hi there, here is the file that mainly causes the crashes.. nothing special, but mind recreation and where I experienced it. (Or do you prefer email?)

Hope you will be able to see what’s wrong :-)

Thanks again!! 

Original.afphoto

Hey 276ccm, that file has no history so it isn't crashing. To be fair though, it sounds like the exact same crash that has been fixed already. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Hey 276ccm, that file has no history so it isn't crashing. To be fair though, it sounds like the exact same crash that has been fixed already. 

Oh, i was sure it was on.. if I go to the “clock” I can look at the undo’s or is it another history setting? 

I can see if I can upload it again if it is something I can do, or if not I’ll wait for an update and see how it goes :-) 

thanks a lot again! :-) 

12 minutes ago, 276ccm said:

Oh, i was sure it was on.. if I go to the “clock” I can look at the undo’s or is it another history setting? 

I can see if I can upload it again if it is something I can do, or if not I’ll wait for an update and see how it goes :-) 

thanks a lot again! :-) 

By default, the history isn’t saved in a copy of the file. When you go to the Document menu and choose ‘Save a Copy’, you need to make sure that the ‘Save history’ switch on the next screen is in the ‘On’ position.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.4.104) • Affinity Photo (1.6.4.104) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

24 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

By default, the history isn’t saved in a copy of the file. When you go to the Document menu and choose ‘Save a Copy’, you need to make sure that the ‘Save history’ switch on the next screen is in the ‘On’ position.

But this was supposed to be the original file that made the crashes, not the saved copy :-) Or maybe I saved it as a copy from another file, before all this happened.. :-)

13 minutes ago, 276ccm said:

But this was supposed to be the original file that made the crashes, not the saved copy :-) Or maybe I saved it as a copy from another file, before all this happened.. :-)

How did you share the file to attach it here? :/

Alfred online2long.gif

12 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

How did you share the file to attach it here? :/

First I hit save on the document from the home screen in Affinity Photo, then used the Safari in the iPad, clicked “click to choose files” browse and then chooses the document in the Affinity folder “On My iPad” 

or am I miss understanding something :-)