You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer for Windows on Tablet

Hello, I'm new to the community but very interested in Affinity Designer.

I recently purchased a Surface Pro in hopes to do art with the ease of portability. I already have a desktop computer with a Wacom monitor. I know there is Affinity Photo for Ipad, and I was wondering about the optimization for other tablets.  I have access to the Microsoft Store where I can get the app. I'm unsure about whether I should purchase the program from the Affinity Store, Microsoft Store, the difference in updates and optimization  between stores if any, and if I should wait to see if an app specifically designated for non-Apple tablets will develop or if the program now is sufficient. I'm also concerned about purchasing the program for the Surface Pro and then wanting to work on my desktop. Would I have to purchase it for each workspace or be able to share between the two?

Any information and advice would be helpful, thanks!

• Staff

Hi JoRM,

Welcome to the forums :)

Affinity Photo is optimised for the Surface Pro and will work as expected, provided is meets our requirements: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/full-feature-list/#system-requirements
The app is exactly the same in terms of features from both stores, you can purchase it from our store (or Microsoft Store) as you prefer. Please see the below quote from @MEB

On 1/2/2018 at 3:21 PM, MEB said:

The Microsoft Store version runs on a sandboxed environment which may impose some limitations/restrictions which are not present in Affinity's Store version. Some differences you may find:

- the Microsoft Store version can update the application automatically as long as auto updates are enabled; The Affinity Store version displays a message for you to download and install it manually.

- there's no product keys for the Microsoft Store version. The app is associated with your Microsoft account.

- uninstalling the Microsoft Store version delete/throws away any customization you may have made in case you decide to (re)install it later. The affinity Store version does keep them.

- there may be issues with some Photoshop plugins in the Microsoft Store version but i haven't tested them extensively yet to confirm this.

Provided that both are Windows environments which are owned and controlled by you, you can use the same license between both your computers. If purchased through the Microsoft store, this will require you signing into the same Microsoft account to access the app, unlike the Affinity store version.

We have optimised the app for Surface devices and also tested it across as many different Walcom devices as possible, so I am certain the app is sufficient for your needs :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!