You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening DXO Photolab TIFF in AP

On opening a TIFF processed in DXO Photolab, the AP file as a pronounced red tint. Does

the tint occur because of .DOP incompatibility? AP preferences and Assistant have not

been able to resolve the problem.

• Staff

Hi mrh2,

Welcome to the forums!
Unfortunately .DOP files are not compatible with Affinity Photo, and this is most likely what is causing the red tint to your images, but I would like to investigate this for you. Could you please provide the files in question?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

mrh2...

Are you (i) opening a RAW file in DxO, developing it, and exporting a TIFF; or (ii) opening a TIFF in DxO, editing it, and saving?

If you are doing the latter, you probably should forget about either DxO or Affinity Photo, since AP will completely ignore any changes you made (since they reside in the incompatible .dop file). If you are doing the former, the TIFF file you exported should contain all of the work you did in DxO and the .dop file is no longer needed.

If you are starting with a TIFF file and want to use DxO as a first step, only then to continue working in Affinity Photo, you will need to (a) open the TIFF in DxO; (b) do your preliminary editing; and (c) use the Export to Disk button (bottom right portion of the DxO window) to create an second TIFF file that contains your edits. This new TIFF file will contain the editing you did in DxO, so that the .dop file can safely be ignored. Then, open this newly created TIFF file in Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I did the following: made one image and stored as usual, i imported  it into DXO PL and made a

few adjustments. I then exported the file to disc as a 16bit RGB TIFF. I then used CTRL+O in

Affinity  to open the file in the Photo Persona, and voila, it opened with a red tint, as have other

TIFF files from DXO Photolab. I have no issues when doing all work (RAW + layers in Photo) in

Affinity. smadell, it seems that i followed your first scenario. I appreciate all replies.

How much of a red tint are we talking about here? Could you post some comparison screeshots (e.g., a screenshot from DxO prior to export, then one from Affinity Photo upon opening). Also, what color profile does DxO assign when you export? And, how is AP set up in Preferences when it comes to opening images - specifically, does AP assign a specific profile as a “working space”?

When I look at a DxO edit, then open the exported TIFF in Affinity Photo, the colors are, perhaps, minimally different, but certainly not enough to be objectionable or even, for the most part, noticeable.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

It would also help if we could example files for an original before processing with DXO and then the DXO output TIFF for that file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for all the help. However, i have discontinued use of AP for

a while. I will try again after the next update. i have used Adobe

photo duo (PS & LR) as well as Capture One since version 7 with-

out much fuss, and will stay with those methods.  As i mentioned, AP

is a good solution if all work is done there. I am hooked on DXO for

RAW development. I hope to try AP again soon!!