You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mr. Smith, thank you for sharing your research/findings about Affinity's compatibility with the "new" NIK collection. 

I'm surprised that you have not gotten a response, or at least an acknowledgment, of your post by the Affinity staff. They are usually very good about addressing these comments. I am following the various NIK collection discussions and the Affinity team has been unusually silent about their progress (or lack thereof) in finding a solution to these problems.

Hopefully, the team is hard at work on the solution, talking with DXO/Apple, etc to get it fixed.

• Staff

Hi Tommy Smith, 0Kami,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Most DxO Nik Collection plugins don't run on the Mac (Analog Efex Pro 2, Colour Efex Pro 4 , Silver Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro 2). They get stuck at some point and freeze Affinity Photo. This is most certainly due to the changes they introduced in their revision of the plugin. As far as i know there wasn't changes to permissions here. What macOS version are you running? Mojave Beta?

It's better keep using the (free) Google version for now.

Windows:
All DxO Nik Collection plugins run on Affinity Photo for Windows. There may be a few pontual issues due to plugins implementation/support differences between Affinity Photo and Photoshop but i still have to check each one individually.

MEB, thank you for the response.

Please keep working on the Mac version of the NIK Collection. Many loyal Affinity Photo users would like to use the more stable/supported software (and take advantage of the price reduction until July 1).

Have a good one!

I managed to get Color Efex Pro (Version 1.12.15 - the most current one from DxO) working with Affinity Photo (Version 1.6.7) on Mac.

Out of the box, Color Efex Pro did not work, it got stuck on "preparing image...". By using the old Plugins-Folder with the new Binaries, it prepared, loaded and edited my image.

Here's what I've done:

1.) uninstalled all versions of Nik
2.) installed the last "free" version vom DxO (https://nikcollection.dxo.com/nik-collection-2012/)
During the installation, I installed the plugins to a custom folder (as already described in this thread)
3.) copied the plugins folder (-> backup folder)
4.) uninstalled Nik Software 
5.) installed the newest version of Nik Collection from DxO
During the installation, I installed the plugins to a custom folder
6.) deleted the contents of said custom folder
7.) copied my backup (step 3) to said custom folder

In one sentence: I'm using the plugins folder from Nik Collection 2012 with the newest binaries of Nik Collection by DxO.

I do not know what exactly is done by the plugins, but it seems like it's just an interface to load the binaries and transfer the image to/from the binaries, so while using an older version of the plugins, I am still using the newest binaries.
So far I did some testing with color efex pro (including multiple filters and control points), viveza and dfine (including manual mode for measuring noise) and I did not find any problems. However your mileage may vary - use at your own risk! 

• Staff

Hi Christoph L,
Thank you for sharing your findings. It's is probably some setting/misconfiguration causing this since they were working fine previously and there weren't significative changes to the plugins themselves as far as i know. Hopefully we will get them working correctly again.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Christoph L,
Thank you for sharing your findings. It's is probably some setting/misconfiguration causing this since they were working fine previously and there weren't significative changes to the plugins themselves as far as i know. Hopefully we will get them working correctly again.

Good to know there weren't significant changes to the plugins themselves, I already feel more secure using my workaround.

I'm looking forward to an official solution for this problem - thanks for your efforts! :)

• Staff

I meant in functional terms (no new features). It was mostly to make them fully compatible with latest Adobe products/OS's. They also made improvements to the Selective tool/panel but it is not accessible in Affinity Photo in the free Google version and probably neither in the paid DxO version.

Hello Christoph L,

This is actually the same install method I have described above in this thread.
I am quite sure you are running the old free version of the plugin (just check the version number of the plugin in AP). 
Stand alone apps and plugins work separately. You can run both of them at the same time if you want.

So it helps, but that doesn't solve the problem, since the last paid version from DXO remains unusable as a plugin in AP. 

(they have released a 1.12.15 update indeed, and don't seem to bother informing their customers. We don't even know what changes they have made.)

Fx

1 hour ago, FxRphoto said:

I am quite sure you are running the old free version of the plugin (just check the version number of the plugin in AP). 
Stand alone apps and plugins work separately. You can run both of them at the same time if you want.

Checking the version number of the plugin in AP was the first thing I did - it's 1.12.15

1 minute ago, Christoph L said:

Checking the version number of the plugin in AP was the first thing I did - it's 1.12.15

1.12.15 is the version number of the whole Nik suite, you need to check the individual plugin version number and compare with the standalone one. For instance in Color Efex Pro, the new version number is 5.0.0.0 (for both standalone and plugin) and the old one is 4.3.25.0

Hallo everybody,

just purchased the DxO Nik Collection and only the Sharpener Plugins are working on my MacOS Sierra system.
All not working  showing the known problem hanging endlessly during the "preparing image" step and Affinity Photo
doesn´t respond anymore. I own Photoline for OSX and all plugins are working flawlessly. No problems whatsoever.
So I think its a problem with Affinity Photo in the starting process of the plugins. But I am not a programmer, so
just would be happy if Serif could solve the problem, so the users could avoid changing programs all the time.
I really enjoy working with the Affinity suite and never regretted to have bought them. Keep on the fantastic work!

you can still run Nik Collection latest update from DxO from the old free version plugin folder, just copy/paste somewhere else before deleting the old Nik and once the new version is installed, you’ll need to change the AP path to that old folder (which you can paste back beside your new folder) instead of the new folder you just created installing the new one. it won’t show “by DxO” on top right corner when using your Nik software, but you still can use them.

Mikerofoto, I am a firm believer in workarounds, however, I do not have the old Google NIK collection installed and don't believe that it should be necessary to install it in order to access the new DXO version . . . call me old-fashioned but I think that the Affinity engineers' should be willing and able to make AP compatible with the "new" DXO NIK.

The new DXO version works just fine with my Skylum Luminar software. And, it seems that AP Windows users are not having the same problems as Apple users with the upgrade. For these reasons I have to think it is an Affinity Mac version compatibility issue.

Thanks for your post and your participation in the Affinity Forum discussions. 

Endeavor to Persevere.

7 hours ago, 0Kami said:

Mikerofoto, I am a firm believer in workarounds, however, I do not have the old Google NIK collection installed and don't believe that it should be necessary to install it in order to access the new DXO version . . . call me old-fashioned but I think that the Affinity engineers' should be willing and able to make AP compatible with the "new" DXO NIK.

The new DXO version works just fine with my Skylum Luminar software. And, it seems that AP Windows users are not having the same problems as Apple users with the upgrade. For these reasons I have to think it is an Affinity Mac version compatibility issue.

Thanks for your post and your participation in the Affinity Forum discussions. 

Endeavor to Persevere.

I agree with what you saying, its AP Mac user issues and hopefully will be fix soon.

I never tried or thought to use Nik from Luminar, now I have to look for that.

Mikerofoto,

You are welcome. Since I use the Nik collection more for landscapes edits rather than portraiture, its Luminar functionality serves me well. I hope that it does the same for you.

Since none of the Affinity staff has given an update to their progress toward fixing the Nik/Apple/High Sierra issues, I was just writing a direct note to the moderator of this section of the Forum. I will post whatever news they share.

Take care.