You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I "crop" the "canvass"?

Why can’t we just select or click the canvas or page and then move it to the size we want? We can do this very easy in the other programs! The competition I mean!

we know that Affinity is new so hopefully this ease of movement  will come with time!

i am also looking forward to an easier way of measuring on my layouts, I think for any Graphic Designer, this is critical!

by the way this is my first time with commenting, I just brought all the Affinity programs and looking forward to publisher, the learning curve does not seem to high which is good!

hi everyone............

26 minutes ago, Blackman1780 said:

Why can’t we just select or click the canvas or page and then move it to the size we want? We can do this very easy in the other programs! The competition I mean!

Have you tried doing that in InDesign or Quark XPress?

They are both Page Layout programs like Designer. You set the page size first, then drop images on it. You can't just resize pages.

If you want to crop a Designer page (like Photo or Photoshop) convert the page into an Artboard. Then you can do what you want.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I understand fully what you say, but the question was asked “ how can we crop in designer, right? “   So I was thinking how Illustrator handles it, in Illustrator it really does not matter at the beginning what you set your artboard too, you can always click and drag to a new size at any time, plus you will be able to see the new size in the context menu at the top!

with Designer which is similar to illustrator, this is a little more difficult or at the very least not as intuitive, and I do know that this is only because it is new, I am sure that as time passes this product will mature like any other.....

2 hours ago, toltec said:

They are both Page Layout programs like Designer.

Affinity Designer is not a page layer out application.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Affinity Designer is not a page layer out application.

I use it to lay out pages, so it is to me.

I paid for it, I can use it for what I want :P

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

While there are not discrete cropping tools in ID or QXP, one can change a page size in them. I'D can do so with individual pages, QXP can only do the entire layout, but can have multiple layouts in the same project. 

XDP is a drawing application where one can freely change page sizes at will. Individual pages or all of them.