You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cut round circle into two pieces

Hello guys,

i want to cut a round circle without filled background (only a small line with a bigger border) into two pieces. I tried to use the shape tool to subtract the one half of the circle but when i do this i get a form of an arc. How can i cut the half without the straight line between the bottom and the top?

screenshot.png.82702bfcd4759b4ea8ee6ffbe618dc0a.png

Thats my circle with a thick border.

screenshot.png.77d333913e8bcade3563d60a7bb02cec.png

After delete the half (subtract rectangle)  of my circle, i get a arc.

screenshot.png.45df9c819934985b2d3d184ff61196c4.png

I want a result like this, but this is not a border.

I'm very happy to get some help :).

Regards,

Sam

Welcome back to the Serif Affinity Forums, Sam. :)

There is no need to cut the circle to create a circular arc. When you use the Ellipse Tool, the Context toolbar displays controls for the Start Angle, the End Angle and the Total Angle, any two of which you can adjust to your requirements.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi. I found this topic of interest also. I have not (yet) found the eclipse context menu that would control the length of the arc. However, I was able to draw a circle with a stroke > convert to curves > select a node with node tool > delete. This removed a segment of the circle between two nodes. Subsequent segments can be removed in set same manner. Placing a node on the path with the pen tool will control how much of the path gets removed. This is very close to the performance of the scissors tool in Illustrator.

Similar results can be had using the crop tool. But I found that this was non-destructive and the "deleted" segments were invisible, but still there, just masked.

I am not sure if I have misunderstood Alfred or GabrielM but I am submitting this in case it is different and can be of use. The color path is done with the Vector Crop Tool. The black segment with deleted segment of path.

Segment tests.afdesign

11 minutes ago, Nivrams said:

I have not (yet) found the eclipse context menu that would control the length of the arc.

My mistake! I didn’t have the program running at the time, and I forgot that you need to convert the circle into a donut or pie (or use the Donut Tool or the Pie Tool instead of the Ellipse Tool in the first place) in order to get those controls on the Context toolbar. Please note that you need to go to the Context toolbar below the main toolbar, rather than the context (right-click) menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...