You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo resize/crop changes zoom

Hello. In Affinity Photo for Mac... when I resize or crop a photo, each time I do this the zooming changes. For instance, I have the zoom set to Actual Size, then I crop the photo, and once the crop is complete, the zoom is changed to fit the window. This happens each time. Is this a bug or a setting I can change? It's quite annoying, thanks!

It is, as they say, "as designed." To my knowledge, there is no way to change this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Who would ever want or need this?

Each to their own I guess, but I always want to see the results of a crop at the largest possible screen size to make sure I included all the pixels I wanted to keep. After I am sure about that, I use the 'actual size' keyboard shortcut to see how it looks at that size. Takes less than a second to do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes but if you are undoing cropping to get it just right and tweaking so essentially doing it over and over it becomes annoying real quick. It's little things like this that make me go back to using Photoshop. It's counter-intuitive. If I pick a view size, I don't want the app to change it by itself.

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Yes but if you are undoing cropping to get it just right and tweaking so essentially doing it over and over it becomes annoying real quick.

Cropping in Affinity Photo is non-destructive so I am not sure why you are undoing & redoing it.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Yes but if you are undoing cropping to get it just right and tweaking so essentially doing it over and over it becomes annoying real quick. It's little things like this that make me go back to using Photoshop. It's counter-intuitive. If I pick a view size, I don't want the app to change it by itself.

There is a bit of a workaround that might help you with cropping and adjusting an image as long as it is a single layer document, or clip canvas probably won't work.

Draw a rectangle on top of the image, then right click on that in Layers panel and choose Mask to below or drag it's layer to the masking position of the image thumbnailThat won't resize the view but "crops" the image.

crop.jpg.a6bba2c55ffd60e78d07d02253b529db.jpg

Select the rectangle and adjust the "cropping" until happy. Very easy to see what you are doing ! If you select the whole thing, you can move the image inside the rectangle (Tick Lock Children)

Go Document > Clip Canvas, which will clip the document to the rectangular mask. Which is the same as cropping it.

cropped2.jpg.d580d84033c506f6116be9dc9389dbbb.jpg

You could assign a shortcut to Clip Canvas.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry but this is not common in any other photo editing software I have tried and worked with in the past.

This is not a differentiating feature for the suite or Photo in particular ... it is just a weird design move they did. People that don't like this and find this annoying and counterproductive should be able to toggle it off in the options.

There is no debate to be had here really... Adding an option to turn it off is not going to push back a release for months... let's be realistic here..

I love the Affinity suite and recommend it to everyone still on the Adobe series but this is the kind of stuff that scares some users away.

What I would suggest Serif does with "by design" features they add is this:

1. Ask yourself if you are breaking ground on a new feature and if this is really something that adds to the Affinity toolset
2. If no.1 is answered by "no" then look at how the other leading software are doing it and implement it in a very similar or if not exact fashion.

For the most part, Serif has done just that. But in some cases (no crop on marquee, have to group to merge select layers, zoom to fill when making certain changes to document just to name a few), we get weird implementations or lack of implementations that serve no purpose other that "be different by design".

If you read up to this point, I thank you for your time ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

No news, it looks like they really couldn't care less. And yes, it's a pain. I love AP but working on a big screen is just painful. Even a fullHD image zoomed on a 4K is annoying to manage, despite being a 1920x1080 thing.

A workaround for the time being:

• in preferences, add keyboard shortcuts to View > Move To Previous/Next View Point
  1. before you crop: Navigator panel > hamburger menu > (enable Advanced if not active) > Add [view point]
  2. after the crop: press your keyboard shortcut to return to the saved view point

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

You can do Ctrl+1 already to resize what you see at 100%. No need to make that convoluted thing.

The point is: images should always open to 100% size if they're below the working area available space.

I mean, let's be serious: this is what I see when I paste a fresh-new image from the clipboard (Ctrl + Shift + N).

I copied the top-right menu of this forum and it's a 318x111px image. Affinity Photo makes a new images and it automatically zooms it to fit the screen. Why?

lC4bSe3.png

And this is how it SHOULD look at its REGULAR size, instead of forcing the user to Ctrl + 1 every single time:

Xgxf4u3.png

1 minute ago, LuBre said:

to resize what you see at 100%. No need to make that convoluted thing.

If 100% is what you want, then of course.

6 minutes ago, LuBre said:

instead of forcing the user to Ctrl + 1 every single time

I, for one, actually like the auto-zoom, and having my hands on the Macbook anyway, cmd-1 is really just literally a few cm away. Or option-two-fingers-trackpad-scroll to instantly zooming in & out.

But having options is generally a Good Thing™.

In Photoshop it has always annoyed me that when you press cmd-0, it will always adjust the window to the full image size. (As I actually prefer having separate windows instead of tabs.) So I simply stopped using cmd-0 altogether…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, LuBre said:

And this is how it SHOULD look at its REGULAR size, instead of forcing the user to Ctrl + 1 every single time:

Why should it default to opening at such a tiny size? On my 27" iMac, it is so tiny that it is difficult to select any element if it has more than one  layer or even to see how pixelated it is.

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, LuBre said:

Because it's the default size. It doesn't make any sense to zoom 10 times something that is meant to be small. Let the user choose.

But it is not always meant to be small. Like with most other graphics apps, Affinity provides several ways of resizing raster objects, & of course it also supports resolution independent vector objects that look the same regardless of their size.

Besides, since the primary purpose of the app is to create & edit graphic elements it does not make much sense to me to default to opening them at sizes so small it is hard to work on them.

Affinity Photo 

I am not sure you work with small images on a daily basis, I guess not? It doesn't need to be a 10x10 pixel. Even a 600x600 pixel image is VERY annoying when it gets zoomed on your face, if you work on a 4K. It's not always "needed" that zoom. When I open 100 small images (and by small I mean anything up to fullHD) I don't want to Ctrl+1 100 times, when I tab from one image to another.

We should have an option to toggle the default zoom, that's all we need.

1 hour ago, LuBre said:

When I open 100 small images (and by small I mean anything up to fullHD) I don't want to Ctrl+1 100 times, when I tab from one image to another.

Just curious but why are you opening so many images at the same time?

Affinity Photo 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, R C-R said:

Just curious but why are you opening so many images at the same time?

I work with web-related stuff and sometimes I need to open multiple images at the same time, again and again. Even a zoomed 1920x1080 image is extremely annoying on a 4K, if you need to press CTRL+1 every time. It's kust a nonsense.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:21 AM, LuBre said:

sometimes I need to open multiple images at the same time, again and again

And on Windows, there are no macro utilities that will let you automate such annoyingly repetitive tasks? (That's a rhetorical question. There surely are some.)

On Mac, I would invest some time to write an AppleScript (awkward because Affinity actually isn't scriptable, but possible to accomplish via System Events scripting) that would count all open documents either as windows or as tabs depending on the current window mode, and cycle them while virtually "pressing" cmd-1 each time. That script could run as an Automator workflow that can be accessed via global Services menu per keyboard shortcut.

Been there done that.
(I have an almost ready Automator Service plugin that will open all inactive Studio panels so that a user doesn't have to go to View > Studio a dozen times to reopen them all. Needs some final testing, a ReadMe, plus some long overdue updates to my website, then I will release it as a freeware.)