NathanS

Many Problems with Affinity (Windows)

This only started happening after I started using RAW files.

•  All live previews are laggy and usually don't ever even show up
  • RAW files take almost 30 seconds just to open
  • They take even longer to Develop
  • Using the select brush barely works, even at around 20 pixels it is extremely slow and I can't do anything
  • If I load in around 10 RAW files eventually it will crash
  • Just today it crashed because I was trying to select a 10 pixel area

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather use photoshop and pay the monthly fee because of how horrible this is.

Specs: 
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
Memory: 16000 MB

Every time I load in my files I have to get a picture of them because I know it will most likely crash.
Are there any fixes for this?

Hi Nathan, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

RAW files can take a while to load. This is because we are making you wait for the actual RAW file to finish loading before you see anything. Some other apps will display a preview of the RAW file as it is loading. We plan on improving this.

The Selection Brush should be working fine—can you make sure you aren't using WARP from Preferences > Performance. Can you also tell me the type of file you are working with? (DPI and resolution etc.)

I wouldn't expect a crash whilst loading only 10 RAW files, but I would expect a bit of a delay. As I said above, we plan on improving RAW speeds in the future. I would suggest you only open a few RAW files at a time, for now. Can you attach a crash report or provide a crash reference. What camera are the RAW files coming from?

Do you have a crash reference/report from the crash caused by the selection? You shouldn't be getting a crash from such a small selection. Can we have a file so I can attempt to reproduce it? Your PC specs are more than adequate to run Affinity and definitely more powerful than my work PC.

It might be worth doing a quick 'soft reset' to ensure all the display settings are reverted back to defaults. Can relaunch the app with Ctrl held down and click Clear when you see the dialog.

Sorry for being harsh here…

My personal opinion – you'd better give up using Photo for RAW development and use anything else. Seriously. 

Issue #1, which IMO is serious enough on its own to neglect any others – no sidecar files saved with the development settings, making each of your development a one time better-do-it-right attempt. Such workflow (with external settings), obviously, is incredibly useful if you want to revisit your photo for various reasons – e.g. because the engine got updated and you might try and compare how it performs. Or you simply might want a different version of your photo – going back to RAW is as lossless as it can be, compared to adjusting the developed photo. I’ve used several RAW processors and most of them adapt this approach. If not, they keep an internal database of the settings, but nobody but Affinity thought it would be a great idea to make your settings go pooof when you hit the “Develop” button. Yes, there are presets, but this isn’t a realistic choice, you won’t be saving a preset for each photo.

Issue #2 – if the rant above still keeps you from changing your mind about AP for RAW files, try moving the “Blackpoint” slider and watch your blacks go clipping in no time. It’s a really cruel joke.

Now there are some nice things in it, particularly the option of making additional, localized adjustments by means of masks aka overlays, which can be prepared using advanced selecting and masking features that AP has (although it has its own faults, you can’t adjust all of the parameters when using an overlay, unlike in Lightroom). But it’s a small gain compared to the fundamental flaws this engine has. Move along and save yourself some frustration.

Cheers,
Matt

11 hours ago, NathanS said:

I'm not using WARP.
Where could I check my DPI?
I'm also not sure how to check crash reports.
I'm using a Sony a6000

DSC09159.ARW

The DPI is 350 using the image you attached. This is fine.

Crash reports will go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports, or you might get a crash reference number. 

Did you try the soft reset? Your RAW opening time and develop time are considerably higher than mine are, on a much lower spec machine. In comparison, it takes about 4 seconds to open 1 RAW and about 5 seconds to develop it in Affinity. Comparing this to Photoshop's Camera Raw, it takes 3 seconds to open and about another 3 or 4 seconds before it appears in Photoshop. So you're talking a total of 9 seconds and 6 seconds respectively. I duplicated your image 9 times and tried to open 10 at once which did cause a crash. I'll feedback that to the developers.

@matisso - What you've mentioned about sidecar files can be extremely helpful but it can also be a bit of a pain, it depends who you ask. Please remember we are in the first version of what would be considered a relatively new app. It has been discussed and considered. We'll make improvements as and when we can. This is why we have a public forum where our users can express their thoughts and ideas.

Can you provide me with some examples of the Blackpoint slider clipping your image? Do you mean when you go back into Develop and try to adjust the slider again? If so, that's to be expected as the settings reset. If not, It's working absolutely fine for me, on release and beta. The only thing I would mention when comparing to Photoshop, is that we seem to have a wider range so you have to be a little bit more careful.

There aren't any crash reports, and if there was any numbers I don't remember them. I'll remember to try the soft reset asap and see if it fixes the selection brush problem as well as the loading time. 

After doing the reset I immediately noticed that the RAW file loaded in within about 1 second. I did a few small changes before developing and they all were on time and not slow.
Once I hit develop, it only took about 3-4 seconds for it to develop, a major improvement from before (even though this was with just 1 file open).
The selection brush now also works perfectly. I can select large areas with minimal amounts of pauses that are basically unnoticeable. Something I had on there was obviously screwing stuff up. 

My only guess as to what could've been messing things up would be a macro pack I downloaded a while back and never used. I figured that since that's mainly what I photographed I would download from the affinity website but maybe somehow I downloaded it wrong? I don't think it was my settings because I never touched them. Either way, the soft reset fixed everything.

Thanks for helping!

On 6/8/2018 at 3:52 AM, Chris B said:

Can you provide me with some examples of the Blackpoint slider clipping your image? Do you mean when you go back into Develop and try to adjust the slider again? If so, that's to be expected as the settings reset. If not, It's working absolutely fine for me, on release and beta. The only thing I would mention when comparing to Photoshop, is that we seem to have a wider range so you have to be a little bit more careful.

The blackpoint clipping is pretty brutal.

18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Saijin_Naib,

We've got a known issue wherein Fuji raw files are opening with a very compressed histogram. I think this is why your Blackpoint slider is clipping so much. 

The only other raw I have to test with are DNG from my Lumia. I think it is still a bit latest?cb=20151209031540, but you'd be a better judge than I.

Any timeline on proper working with the Fuji RAFs? I've got an X-S1, X-A1, and X-A5 here that would benefit.