metroidmen

[Fixed] iOS 12 Developer Beta makes performance in Affinity Photo unusable.

It’s in beta, of course, so bugs are to be expected. But I haven’t seen anyone reporting on this. But any change you make to a photo, any brush stroke, all renders at a snails pace. Less than 1 FPS. It’s absolutely unusable for any sort of even basic editing. I hope for a fix soon. Reinstalling also didn’t help. I tried altering settings, and still no luck. 

Hey metroidmen, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

I'm just about to install the iOS 12 beta. I'll feedback once I've spent some time with it. Thanks a lot for the heads up. 

Update - I've got it installed and can confirm the poor performance. I'm currently installing some other apps and I have informed the developers. It might be that it's a general iOS issue as everything might not fully be implemented yet.

Thanks again for letting us know :) 

20 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey metroidmen, I just wanted to give you a quick update and let you know we development have identified the issue, which is 90% Apple's issue with their Metal implementation. Thanks so much for the early heads up :) 

Glad it was identified! Here is hoping for a fix soon! Glad to help point it out. :) 

Hi, some more information on this. I have edited Chris' post above as we think that Serif will be able to correct this "in house" by releasing a new build of Affinity Photo for iPad before Apple officially release iOS 12.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

I’m guessing you can’t give a specific timeline, but are we looking at days, weeks or months for the update? I’m sure quality control is a big deal and this is a complicated application, but I’m obviously hoping days. Before iOS 12 release doesn’t really narrow the release schedule very much. 

12 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey metroidmen, I just wanted to let you know that development have already fixed this. I've just had a quick look at an internal build and it's running very well.

The fix will be made public before the official release of iOS 12, as Patrick has stated.

Excellent to hear! So glad to help! I look forward to the update soon! Any further issues I’ll be sure to report. :)

15 hours ago, Kemas said:

I’m guessing you can’t give a specific timeline, but are we looking at days, weeks or months for the update? I’m sure quality control is a big deal and this is a complicated application, but I’m obviously hoping days. Before iOS 12 release doesn’t really narrow the release schedule very much. 

I honestly cannot be sure—I'll see if I can find out :) 

@lamchowdong

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

iOS 12 is still in developer beta, looking for regressions like this one. Our plan is that if Apple have not addressed this issue when iOS 12 is in public beta, then we will need to rewrite the code that worked for iOS 11 and will then push an update, therefore resolving the issue before the full public release. To be honest, this is Affinity Photo code that we think should work and the new implementation of Metal has stopped it working at the moment. 

Affinity Designer for iPad does not use this particular bit of code and our internal beta build is working fine on iOS 12. (oh no, have I said too much? ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

32 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Affinity Designer for iPad does not use this particular bit of code and our internal beta build is working fine on iOS 12. (oh no, have I said too much? ;) )

Given that almost a year has gone by since @MattP posted his ‘shakycam’ teaser video, it would be surprising if AD for iPad hadn’t reached the beta stage by now. :)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hi,

can you maybe give us a rough timeline update since the public beta is now available?

No mater how long it will need, just wanted to thank you guys that you are looking into it even so it might be a temporary issue from apples side. 

@MasonVX

1 hour ago, MasonVX said:

can you maybe give us a rough timeline..?

The Head of Development has said "Apple still might fix the bug in iOS 12 ...(but if not) we will work around the bug in iOS 12 before it's released to the public". So realistically that would seem to be before Apple traditionally release new versions in September. I think we are quite likely to release an update before then anyway, for this and other reasons.

[To all readers of this thread] In the meantime if you can avoid iOS 12 any iPad that you use Affinity Photo for iPad on until there is a software update from us (that works around the problem) or we announce here that Apple have solved this.

FYI, iPad Photo beta builds are released to a limited beta group through Testflight first before they appear on the iPad store. There is no beta at the moment.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@MasonVX

The Head of Development has said "Apple still might fix the bug in iOS 12 ...(but if not) we will work around the bug in iOS 12 before it's released to the public". So realistically that would seem to be before Apple traditionally release new versions in September. I think we are quite likely to release an update before then anyway, for this and other reasons.

[To all readers of this thread] In the meantime if you can avoid iOS 12 any iPad that you use Affinity Photo for iPad on until there is a software update from us (that works around the problem) or we announce here that Apple have solved this.

FYI, iPad Photo beta builds are released to a limited beta group through Testflight first before they appear on the iPad store. There is no beta at the moment.

Thanks for the info, just wrote an eMail to apply for the TestFlight group. I’d be happy to give feedback. 

Yup, need to get moving now public beta of IOS12 released, received email today.

Affinity Photo 1.7, Designer 1.7, Publisher 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

No, the beta testing agreement clearly states that the risk of some things not working is the users -- technically, there is no 'need' to update AP until the final version of iOS12 is released in September.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:29 AM, Chris B said:

I honestly cannot be sure—I'll see if I can find out :) 

Yes please; i really need to work on Photo these summer holidays and i want to know when this issue will be fixed. Thank you.

I’m 100% certain, that the issue will be fixed before the official release, even so I hope before that. 

There is still a chance that Apple might fix it in one of the betas. There is a good chance today will be a new one, or the beginning of next week. 

I updated to the latest public beta yesterday. There are a few apps on my iPad Pro 10,5 that lags terribly. Affinity Photo is one of them. I tried taking a photo from the camera in Photo in RAW format and the app crashed and closed without warning. When I relaunched Photo, the picture was there but it was just a mess of static colors.  Deleted it and took it again after I unchecked RAW and it was fine.

Hoy 11 de julio de 2018 he empezado con iOS 12, realmente va lento y con errores Affinity. Ejemplo: al seleccionar lo hace transcurridos unos segundos. Me ha borrado avances en el último trabajo. Cuando duplico una imagen tarde algunos segundos en aparecer en las capas. Etc.

Espero lo soluciones para cuando se haga pública la actualización de iOS. Un saludo

Today July 11, 2018 I have started with iOS 12, it really is slow and with Affinity errors. Example: when you select it after a few seconds. It has erased me in the last job. When I duplicate an image it takes a few seconds to appear in the layers. Etc.

I wait for the solutions for when the iOS update becomes public. a greeting