Roland Rick

Adjustment Layer no Effekt if Grouped

I'm convinced it (Passthrough not being honoured and Normal blending happening instead in the circumstance you describe) is a bug because I see no rationality in the software being designed to enforce Normal when Passthrough is specified, but Serif staff have told us the behaviour is by design.

Edit: I should add that we've been told that the behaviour may be re-considered at some point.

5 minutes ago, owenr said:

Edit: I should add that we've been told that the behaviour may be re-considered at some point.

They clearly wouldn’t reconsider it if they were 100% convinced that it’s currently being handled correctly, so we live in hope! 

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

For your convenience: Group was on Passthrough, all other modes deliver no to amusing results... :S

34 minutes ago, owenr said:

I'm convinced it (Passthrough not being honoured and Normal blending happening instead in the circumstance you describe) is a bug because I see no rationality in the software being designed to enforce Normal when Passthrough is specified, but Serif staff have told us the behaviour is by design.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

12 minutes ago, Roland Rick said:

For your convenience: Group was on Passthrough

Yes, that's what I was writing about - a group having Passthrough mode behaving as if it had Normal mode.

41 minutes ago, owenr said:

Yes, that's what I was writing about - a group having Passthrough mode behaving as if it had Normal mode.

OK, but that's not the case. Using Normal, it looks completely different to Passthrough...

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

11 minutes ago, Roland Rick said:

OK, but that's not the case. Using Normal, it looks completely different to Passthrough...

Can you post an example which shows the difference clearly?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

13 minutes ago, Roland Rick said:

In the example with which you opened the thread, the group you wish to create will have Passthrough mode but it will be rendered as if it has Normal mode.

Hi Roland Rick

If you group adjustments and filter with a layer that is not one of these such as a pixel layer, the adjustments will only affect what is inside that group instead of outside. When grouped the HSL adjustment is at the bottom so there is nothing underneath it to affect giving the appearance of it doing nothing.

If you only have adjustments and filters in a group an not other layer type then this will affect the image outside of the group. These types of groups are typically shown by having a folder icon for the thumbnail like the group above the one you have highlighted in your original image.

I believe this is slightly different to how PS does their groups so it's easy to be tripped up when coming from that work flow

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

3 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Hi Roland Rick

If you group adjustments and filter with a layer that is not one of these such as a pixel layer, the adjustments will only affect what is inside that group instead of outside.

In other words, Passthrough is not honoured and the result is identical to Normal mode, as I said.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:55 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Can you post an example which shows the difference clearly?

Phew, I have no clue, what I should add to the image I supplied...: The desaturation of the HSL is lost as soon this is Grouped.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Maybe post an afphoto file instead of a screenshot so people can have a look at your actions and may give some pointers to do it differently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / APh / ADe / APu  & latest (beta) versions

Just now, haakoo said:

Maybe post an afphoto file instead of a screenshot so people can have a look at your actions and may give some pointers to do it differently.

Person in it. Can't post. GDPR.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Maybe a testfile with same workflow and swopout the person by a free- pixabay/pexels/unsplash image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Maybe a testfile with same workflow and swopout the person by a free- pixabay/pexels/unsplash image

OK:

Forum - Teeth demo.afphoto

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

23 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi Roland Rick

If you group adjustments and filter with a layer that is not one of these such as a pixel layer, the adjustments will only affect what is inside that group instead of outside. When grouped the HSL adjustment is at the bottom so there is nothing underneath it to affect giving the appearance of it doing nothing.

If you only have adjustments and filters in a group an not other layer type then this will affect the image outside of the group. These types of groups are typically shown by having a folder icon for the thumbnail like the group above the one you have highlighted in your original image.

I believe this is slightly different to how PS does their groups so it's easy to be tripped up when coming from that work flow

Cheers

Don't know what you're after.

But after you adjust something and want it grouped you should group with the object/layer you're adjusting to

Forum - Teeth demoAdjusted.afphoto

OK, I think, I've got it. Updated the file, layers should be named self explaining. Workflow is somehow upside down between Ps and AP concerning this. In the demo, I could get rid of the teeth mask in the Affinity example, because the Crescent serves as mask itself.

Forum - Teeth demo V2.afphoto

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

I want my edits cleary grouped. That's what I am after ;) - The workflow Affinity vs Photoshop is totally different concerning this.

Whitening teeth I do it in two or three steps: 1. desaturate yellows, 2. add some extra white, because desaturation makes teeth often looking kinda transparent and lifeless. 3. only if necessary: fix hardcore things by brush.

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Don't know what you're after.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

But you group only the adjustments(you shouldn't)

You should group with the layer itself

Forum - Teeth demo V2Adj.afphoto