You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New NIK Collection Released by DXO

Russ2

I have re-checked all the (DxO) plugins.

The key is to work only in sRGB color space. If your document have this ICC profile, then all the plugins seem to work, not need to zoom at 100%. The problem is that all the plugins assign sRGB profile to the image, regardless of the correct color space. If you have an image loaded on AP with aRGB or Prophoto ICC and then assign the sRGB profile manually in AP, you will see the same 'decoloration' (because the wrong color space) than the Nik Plugin.

Same problems happens with ACDSee Ultimate, so the problem is on the plugin.

With a sample (sRGB) image loaded on AP I checked all the plugins and all seemed to work OK, correct colors, etc.

Is it so costly/difficult to handle the correct color space ?

An workaround, if you are editing an image with adobe or prophoto profile can be:

* Document -> convert ICC profile... select sRGB profile

* load the plugin and put all your effects

* re-convert your document to adobe/prophoto color space again.

The problem with the above workaround is that you will lost color information by converting back and forward everytime you need to use a Nik Plugin, not ideal, really.

Regards.

Using a third program just for Viveza is a pain the rear tootsie

I came from PaintShop Pro (yeah yeah, I know, don't laugh, but I never liked PS and the company behind it even less and there was no good alternative for me until AP 1.5 and I am an old dog so learning a new program is not my favorite thing) and in this version of Affinity I don't need to use plugins a whole lot, definitely not as much as with PSP,  but U-points are hard to beat and if you see what they did with the U-points in the latest DXO Photolab, it's amazing

Anyway, my point was that I tried the new Viveza in PSP 2018 just for giggles and it doesn't work there either, but neither did the old free one. So, the problem might be largely with DxO and not with Serif

Jmoren was typing at the time apparently. So i will check my workspace, but I am for 99.9999% sure it is set to sRGB Unless something got messed up somewhere. Since I do most of my stuff for the web, my whole workflow is in sRGB

I've just checked with Viveza (old/free).

My sRGB files (exported for web in PS CS6) open colour correct in APh Viveza as stated above by jmoren.

However my ProPhoto files — A) Opened in APh and then converted to sRGB and B) APh colour profile in Preferences changed to sRGB with convert checked unfortunately are not colour accurate when opened in Viveza. The files have to be zoomed to 100% for colour accuracy as has been established. 

I'm also using APh 1.6.4.104 (Windows 10).

Edit — My standard in APh is ProPhoto RGB with 'convert files to working space' unchecked ...don't like unwanted surprises! :)

My apologizes Pedro. I checked the workaround with Adobe RBG because it is what I use, and I assumed that the same worked for Prophoto, but I was wrong, Viveza show wrong colors with prophoto as origin color space, no matter if you convert to sRGB.

I'm going to try again, maybe there is a workaround for prophoto.

I usually set my color space to Adobe RGB in AP.

Regards.

It's me again, more checkings mostly with the Viveza plugin:

On AP I have the Adobe RGB as the default color space, Relative colorimetic rendering,  convert opened files to working space and warn.

A. I open a sRGB file

The file is converted to aRGB, so I convert the profile to sRGB again, load the plugin and the colors seem ok, any zoom level.

B. I open an aRGB file

I convert the file to sRGB, load the plugin, colors seem more or less OK, but the image is a bit more contrasty, sharper and saturated. I didn't made any adjustment. The navigator doesn't show correct colors. If I choose to apply the plugin, nothing happens in AP. So the image is show near on Viveza, but not 100%. If I load Color Efex and delete all the conversions, the colors, tone, etc, seems correct.

C. I open a Prophoto file

The file is converted to aRGB, then I convert the file to sRGB (two conversions), load the plugin, same as B., more contrasty, sharper and saturated. Good on Color Efex.

If I configure AP with sRGB as default color space, automatic conversions etc.

A. To me is exactly the same

B. & C. At minimum zoom level, the colors are off, but at 33%, 50% and 100% are OK. Colors on Viveza navigator are off. Color Efex is OK.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

There is an update for Nik Plugins. I installed and made a quick tests with Color Efex & Vivezza.

=> Origin photo aRGB 16-bit, converted to sRGB on Photo:

* Color Efex OK at 100%, colors off other zoom levels

* Viveza colors at 100%, even worse at other zoom levels

=> Origin photo aRGB 8-bit, converted to sRGB on Photo:

* Color Efex OK

* Viveza shows a bit more contrasty image

AP & Nik Plugins aren't still working fine. bit depth and colorspace are causing issues.

Regards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

don’t get me wrong on this, but I think DxO was saying they were to release a full nik collection update for 2019 at a discount price for those who bought the latest nik collection by DxO.

they already have some thread on their forum requesting this issue.

In Affinity Photo is there any real advantage in using the new DxO paid for version over the old free version?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

9 hours ago, PaulEC said:

In Affinity Photo is there any real advantage in using the new DxO paid for version over the old free version?

The quick answer is no, maybe with their next fixed release we should see some improvement. 

Keep using the old nik.

the new by dxo work with Luminar, except viveza wrong color unless zommed at 100% and analog effect crashing/freeze the program ending with force quit.

• 4 weeks later...

I am learning to use Nik Collection, using the free version at present. 

Simon Foster, in his tutorials recommends using ProPhotoRGB (or as a second best AdobeRGB). The thread above suggests that sRGB gives least trouble, but not the best results

Prophoto RGB does not exist on my computer (Windows 10 , APh 1.,6.5.135) . Can this be explained?

Screen grab of profile options attached

Any advice welcome

colourprofiles.png

• 3 weeks later...