You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New NIK Collection Released by DXO

Russ2

• Staff

Hi Russ2,
Thanks for the heads up! 

[EDIT]

Macinstosh:
Most DxO Nik Collection plugins don't run on the Mac (Analog Efex Pro 2, Colour Efex Pro 4 , Silver Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro 2). They get stuck at some point. It's better keep using the (free) Google version for now.

Windows:
All DxO Nik Collection plugins run on Affinity Photo for Windows. There may be a few pontual issues due to plugins implementation/support differences between Affinity Photo and Photoshop. Still have to check each one individually.

[/EDIT]

Hi nomi02118,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What OS are you running Windows or Mac? Here's intructions to install on both (free Google version):

Let me know if you still have issues.

I installed the new Nic today per Affinity's video for macOS but my Affinity Photo freezes when I invoke one of the Nik plugins. I followed the video directions to the letter. Interestingly, the collection shows up in my Adobe Elements 14 as a plugin and works. I ran the uninstall for Nic and cleared the settings for Affinity Photo. What do you suggest for next steps? Glad I didn't purchase and am using the 30-day demo version.

53 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Russ2,
Thanks for the heads up! Seems to install and run inside Affinity Photo without issues. No big differences at first sight. Still have to check all known issues on each plugin individually.

Hi nomi02118,
What OS are you running Windows or Mac? Here's intructions to install on both:

Mac High sierra 10.13.5 

installation worked for photoshop, but none show up in Affinity. I deleted all the old  versions of the plugins and installed from scratch. Still nothing. I'll keep trying as foolishly paid my money before verifying it work! 

I have tried the new version with affinity photo but they did not work, I tried with color fx filter AP hangs for ever..

cofx.png

Edited by j3rry
add screenshot

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hi, Well I had a quick play on Windows 7 64bit and all worked fine.

Found you have to ADD each option one by one not the whole suite together. Mine is 'C' programs, DXO.

Ran this image through NIK Efex, Sharpen, Define via Affinity (Windows) pretty fast software but think they may struggle in todays market with so many new kids on the block.

Russ.

untouched.jpg

IMG_ NIK Test.jpg

Edited by Russ2
Images

Hi, Can someone please tell me how select ALL open images in Affinity Photo to send to NIK HDR? ie have 5 images - - - 0 +

Yes I no you can HDR inside AP but used NIK for long time.

Thankyou. Russ.

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Russ2,
There's no way/interface to access the Image Selection Dialog ( similar to File > Automate > Merge to HDR Efex Pro 2… in Photoshop) or to Nik Selective Tool to load a set of bracketed images. You can only use it for single images.

Oh!! B----R  Thankyou.

I'm on Windows 10 and all of the new DxO NIK Collection plugins work in my Affinity Photo, though you do have to enable the "Allow unknown plugins" checkbox under Edit>Preferences>Photoshop Plugins to see them all.

I personally utilize the Analog Efex, Color Efex and Viveza plugins on nearly every image I process (mostly post-processing 3D renders) -- and while I really love the Silver Efex plugin, I just don't have much call to use it. HDR Efex is probably the one I use the least, even though my images usually start out in 32-bit... I just don't care for the tone-mapped results.

If you check the forum there is a post asking for more Affinity support: https://feedback.dxo.com/t/nik-affinity-interoperability/3203

If you want to know what the plugins do (and how they work) check out the extensive YouTube tutorials.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:58 PM, MEB said:

Hi Russ2,
Thanks for the heads up! 

[EDIT]

Macinstosh:
Most DxO Nik Collection plugins don't run on the Mac (Analog Efex Pro 2, Colour Efex Pro 4 , Silver Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro 2). They get stuck at some point. It's better keep using the (free) Google version for now.

Windows:
All DxO Nik Collection plugins run on Affinity Photo for Windows. There may be a few pontual issues due to plugins implementation/support differences between Affinity Photo and Photoshop. Still have to check each one individually.

[/EDIT]

Hi nomi02118,
What OS are you running Windows or Mac? Here's intructions to install on both (free Google version):

Cheers.... just tried before reading this and the Mac Version was dead for me. Just re-installed the free version (well, I paid for it originally) and all is well again on latest Affinity Photo and High Sierra. So glad they brought it up to date :D

Installed it on my windows 10 computer and still have problems. Color Efex works but does not have any of the new functions like the brush tool and Ctrl- click on a control point to see the mask (in B/W) and Viveza  still looks washed out, just like with the old one. 

Hello,

You are not alone. I use the aRGB color space in my workflow and, when I send and image to Color/Viveza/etc everything seems washed out... colour, tones... it's useless for me, sorry.

I remember that, with the old version and some plugins you could see the correct colours zooming at 100%, but now it doesn't work, so for me, it's worse.

I've never managed to get the free version working properly in AP (although the 32 bit version works fine in PhotoPlus!).

I was thinking of purchasing the DxO version, but, reading the comments, I think I'll give it a miss.

I don't suppose there's any chance that Serif could get together with DxO to produce an AP optimised version!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I really would like these plugins to work with AP. I use LR 4.4 (never upgrade to 5 or 6), DAM and basic edition. If the pic needs more editing then I export to TIFF or PSD and continue in AP. Sometimes I need to add a touch with an effect (Glow, sunshine... this kind of thigs). I can quickly add it with ON1 but, then I have three applications, I want to simplify. My idea was to use the Nik plugins from AP and get similar effects to ON1.

So... we'll have to wait

I bought the new version, even though there are still some issues with the plugins in Affinity Photo (the biggest being the Viveza discoloration, which renders the plugin useless in AP). I have seen Mac users having more issues, so YMMV.

My reasons for buying were twofold:

1) I get alot of use out of Analog Efex and Color Efex (which both work well for me in AP).

2) My request for better support for AP is much more meaningful to DxO as a paying customer, rather than just some random guy on the internet who might buy if they make changes.

The Viveza discolouration can be largely overcome by zooming to 100% when in Viveza (ie the old/free Viveza and in Windows—I have no idea with Mac nor the new version).

Admittingly it's not ideal for obvious reasons however it's a workaround.

Eventually of course APh will be so awesome we won't need 3rd party plugins  ;)

The U-point technology at the heart of the NIK plugins is pretty unique, so even if the same effects could be easily applied directly via AP adjustments I would still prefer my workflow in the NIK Collection.

As for the zoom issue, yes, it always has worked that way in AP (and still does for me) however that is definitely not the way it is supposed to work. Not being able to see the entire image while color fine-tuning (the point of the plugin) makes the plugin all but useless in conjunction with AP. My current solution is to use another photo editor for my Viveza-based work in the meantime.