Hello,

Today I needed such a simple drawn shape and thought I would do it in Designer, since I convinced my employee to buy a licence. However I ran into a strange and annoying bug – merely upon changing zoom level, the brushed stroke changes its appearance. I have included the link to an animated gif that shows the shape at 75, 100, 150 and 200% zoom and a source file as well. What’s even more frustrating, I actually discovered it after i had exported the PNG file at twice the resolution and found out it the stroke changed in it. Try opening the attached .afdesign file (Windows 10 at my end here at work) and clicking Ctrl + + and Ctrl + - and see the stroke going “alive”.

Please see this: https://imgur.com/a/8F7DUB5

Regards,
Matt

brush-bug.afdesign

Hey Matt,

This is a known issue. You can cure the odd one or two nodes by adjusting the Mitre which can stop the stroke from changing however this isn't a realistic fix. I'll pass this feedback to development because it really does need addressing.

You can also try rasterizing the stroke but that isn't ideal when you need vector. Sorry about this :/

adjusting the Mitre which can stop the stroke from changing however this isn't a realistic fix

I am using a textured intensity brush that does the same thing. The brush will change its appearance when you zoom in/out and save at different file sizes. I adjusted the mitre all the way up to 100 with no success? Is there a particular setting I can try (no rasterizing) to keep the stroke stable? As a known issue, will this possibly be resolved in the next release or in the near future? Thanks!

stroke zoom bug.afdesign

Hey Sirenetta,

Changing the mitre doesn't always work. It primarily stops a node that isn't closed/joined to another one from changing its stroke direction. Your example is slightly different but ultimately gives the same unwanted stroke redraw issue.

I have no idea when this will be fixed. It has been bumped recently which is normally a sign that it is working its way up the priority ladder. If I find anything out I'll bump this thread. 

Thanks Chris! I was hoping this issue would be fixed in the 1.65 update, but it is not. :-( Just wondering, are there any new workarounds for this issue? Thanks again!

This is still an issue with 1.7.0.367.  For those who use vector brushes, please zoom in and out with navigator to check if the positioning of the brush stroke is changing with the zoom. This does not always happen, but sometimes the brush stroke will change its positioning. If the brush stroke is changing its positioning (see my stroke.zoom.bug attachment above as an example), exporting your art at different sizes (example 2000px vs 1000px) will create artwork that is not consistent in appearance. Selecting "scale with object" for the stroke does not fix this issue.

Until this is resolved, see potential solutions already mentioned in this post. Another solution is to enlarge the image and then copy/paste the stroke to inkscape (free program) for tracing. Then, paste the traced vector into your affinity artwork. Obviously, you won't be able to adjust the brush stroke anymore, and the vector brush stroke may not 100% match the original because tracing is not always exact. But, this solution can work for certain situations to keep the artwork stable when exporting at different sizes.

brush zoom bug.JPG