You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shape to Text Frame: Text is Backwards

I have a triangle shape that I need to be identical to another, and for ease I shift+alt+click+drag to duplicate, then rotate 180 degrees. Finally, I select the Frame Text Tool and click the selected shape. When I start typing, the text is backwards.

Is there any way to effectively "reset" the shape so the computer sees it as being in an original orientation instead of rotated/backwards?

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Use the flip tool on context bar to rotate the text inside triangle

or draw shape with pen tool then convert to text frame [shape]

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

6 hours ago, Cealcrest said:

I have a triangle shape that I need to be identical to another, and for ease I shift+alt+click+drag to duplicate, then rotate 180 degrees. Finally, I select the Frame Text Tool and click the selected shape. When I start typing, the text is backwards.

Is there any way to effectively "reset" the shape so the computer sees it as being in an original orientation instead of rotated/backwards?

The problem is, once you rotate, flip or shear an object, Affinity remembers this so anything inside it will be rotated, flipped or sheared.

You therefore need to fool Affinity into resetting the object.This is basically the same as what Alfred suggests above but looks a bit less drastic. And the cat is more fun ;)

I assume this is what you did, with the bottom shape rotated 180 degrees.

2t.jpg.26b424d7d3389d872cf7d5d37eca18ac.jpg

The text in the bottom triangle is now upside down.

180.jpg.6117e16b2f235d4391a19371de4e17f9.jpg

To reset the bottom triangle to "normal", first place a shape on top of it and enclosed by the boundaries of it (or parts will be added outside the triangle, which you don't want).

Any shape will do.

cat.jpg.e1f04ae05ee4d5453b93b9074381cbf0.jpg

Select the bottom triangle and shape, and go Layer > Geometry > Add

2t.jpg.26b424d7d3389d872cf7d5d37eca18ac.jpg

The bottom triangle has taken it's rotation settings from the shape above it (the official Affinity cat).

Now, use the text tool and the text will be normal

normal.jpg.9f8c362f5b468e9992ac24c49b5d3c41.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, toltec said:

This is basically the same as what Alfred suggests above but looks a bit less drastic. And the cat is more fun ;)

It was rather predictable that Rowlf would think a disappearing cat is more fun! :P

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the other method looks more drastic. It did cross my mind to describe the ‘Add’ method as well, albeit with a boring old (smaller) rectangle, but I decided that just one of the two methods would suffice and I happened to pick the ‘Intersect’ variant.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It was rather predictable that Rowlf would think a disappearing cat is more fun! :P

Sorry, simple things and all that ...

I just like the cat. Dogs love cats :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 minute ago, toltec said:

Dogs love cats :D

Especially when they disappear, perhaps? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you all! I knew there must be some way to fool it, but I was blanking. Boolean operations to the rescue :D 

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video