Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ok, here is something that escapes me and, although  I had many turns on it,  I can not find the solution.

It is assumed that with an active selection, the brush should only paint within the selection.  Well, I load two images, add a mask,  invert it to  black.  I select the lower image,  make a selection based on luminosity,  return to the mask, I paint on it with a white brush at 100% opacity (not alfa protect selected) ... and:


  1.- Despite having opacity in 100%, I have to paint several times in the same place to get an absolute white that totally reveals the image.


  2.- When I am on the edges of the selection, the brush also paints OUT of the selection ( altough although with lower opacity (!?) )

  It must be something very obvious that I am overlooking, this process I have done a thousand times in GIMP without problem.

Please, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Captura.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Your screenshot shows that you have the hardness set to 50%.

2. It sounds as though the selection is feathered. I think the ‘marching ants’ outline only shows areas which are at least 50% selected.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.5.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you alfred, but hardness is not the problem, attached a screenshot with hatrdness at 100%, same effect...

Also, how could i see if a luminosity based selection is feathered, and if so, avoid it?

Thanks again

Captura.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lusco Fusco said:

Thank you alfred, but hardness is not the problem, attached a screenshot with hatrdness at 100%, same effect...

Also, how could i see if a luminosity based selection is feathered, and if so, avoid it

A luminosity mask selection is not the same as a pixel selection. A pixel selection makes hard edges.

Feathered is not the correct term, A luminosity selection will always be of a varied density (like varied opacity). Only 100% white will be solid selection. Everything else will be a partial selection (or partial density) from 100% for white , to 50%  selection density for mid grey down to 0% selection density for black. Obviously depending on the luminosity throughout the image.

It is the partial selection density throughout the image that that is causing your problem.

You can press Q (for Quick Mask) to see how dense the selection is.


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, toltec said:

A luminosity mask selection is not the same as a pixel selection. A pixel selection makes hard edges.

Feathered is not the correct term, A luminosity selection will always be of a varied density (like varied opacity). Only 100% white will be solid selection. Everything else will be a partial selection (or partial density) from 100% for white , to 50%  selection density for mid grey down to 0% selection density for black. Obviously depending on the luminosity throughout the image.

It is the partial selection density throughout the image that that is causing your problem.

You can press Q (for Quick Mask) to see how dense the selection is.

Thank you! This clarifies the matter, as one could not expect less from the wisdom of a Toltec ...

Now I just have to move my assemblage point to a position that allows me to find a method to use these luminosity masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lusco Fusco said:

This clarifies the matter, as one could not expect less from the wisdom of a Toltec ...

"a Toltec"??? Surely you do not mean to imply there is more than one!?! I do not think the world is ready for that. xD


Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.