You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How many computers to install Affinity Designer

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @misstheresa2009. :)

You can install Affinity Designer on any compatible computer that you own or control, as long as no one else will be using it for commercial purposes. You only need separate licences for different platforms (e.g. Windows and macOS).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi misstheresa2009,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Here's a link to the End User License Agreement (EULA). The part pertaining to your question:

The License granted to you is limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive. Except to the extent any rights cannot be excluded by law, you are permitted:

1. if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

Hello! Thanks for the quick responses! :)

If I understand both of you correctly this means that I can install Affinity on my computer and use it for business purposes. But if my son uses the second computer that I own to complete projects for clients then I will have to purchase a second license? I have a home-based business and my son will soon be working with me and we will be using two separate computers in the same room. I just want to make sure that the work we create for our clients will be free of any copyright problems.

BTW, I plan to hire freelancers to help out with large projects. I want them to use Affinity Designer. In your opinions, should I purchase licenses for each contractor? I want to make sure that all of us are using legally downloaded software. What would you suggest?

I apologize for being in the dark about this, but I just want to make sure no one who works for me violates any copyright laws.

Regards,

misstheresa2009

37 minutes ago, misstheresa2009 said:

BTW, I plan to hire freelancers to help out with large projects. I want them to use Affinity Designer. In your opinions, should I purchase licenses for each contractor? I want to make sure that all of us are using legally downloaded software. What would you suggest?

If you followed @MEB‘s link to the EULA, you should have seen this:

2. if you are a commercial enterprise, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Serif Software for use either: (a) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control; For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

In other words, you personally can use the software for commercial purposes on multiple computers, or you and others can use it on a single computer, but not both.

Alfred spacer.png

One problem with EULAs, is in trying to cover all bases, they generally leave room for interpretation. 

I own and control multiple computers. So can I have one set up as a single shared resource and have multiple employees terminal into it and run the software? 

That, btw, is a question not seeking an answer...

19 minutes ago, MikeW said:

One problem with EULAs, is in trying to cover all bases, they generally leave room for interpretation. 

I own and control multiple computers. So can I have one set up as a single shared resource and have multiple employees terminal into it and run the software? 

That, btw, is a question not seeking an answer...

I think the Serif EULA for Affinity covers that specific case. With my emphasis:

For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

So, your hypothetical employees could do that, but only one could be using that PC for the Affinity application at any particular time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 12:01 PM, rayhantu said:

I'm new to Affinity. I want to ask a question that maybe it is actually has been answered, but I just don't get it. My question is, can I install Affinity Photo in three laptops with the same account, with only one purchase?

Yes, as long as they're all Mac or all Windows. The different platforms require different licenses.

• 2 months later...

Just a thank you for a sane licencing agreement. Have a couple of kids home thanks to coronavirus, and being able to load Designer on their computers and let them learn and be creative is awesome, and a good long-term strategy on your part. I switched from Adobe in part because of their increasingly restrictive licensing, and I am moving students to Serif platforms as well. No question, just a "thank you."

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, gauravonwork said:

sorry, but similar question with different intent,

I have bought licence of affinity, and i work from my personal office in 1 laptop and from my home other laptop, but its only by me, and with same login ID. both are windows. so in this case same licence can work for both laptop?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @gauravonwork. :)

Your licence covers you for personal or commercial use of the app on any Windows computer that you own or control, so you would only need an additional licence if you wanted to let someone else use one of your copies of the app for commercial purposes.

Alfred spacer.png

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon,

I am all Mac top to bottom...two questions I have not seen on this thread:

1. Can I purchase one license and install on my iPad and my iMac?

2. I saw the announcement you run on Apple's new M1 silicon. If I upgrade my iMac and get an M1 Mac, must I buy another license?

Thank you for a truly rational approach to marketing and customer care...refreshing!

PS: Will you ever put incredibly annoying popups on my computer that are impossible to remove?

David

8 minutes ago, dcrodwell said:

1. Can I purchase one license and install on my iPad and my iMac?

2. I saw the announcement you run on Apple's new M1 silicon. If I upgrade my iMac and get an M1 Mac, must I buy another license?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, David. :)

1. No. There are separate licences for each platform (Mac, Windows or iPad).

2. No. A Mac is a Mac, so one Mac licence would suffice for any MacBook, iMac or M1 Mac that you own or control.

Alfred spacer.png

Welcome to the forums @dcrodwell 😊  i am also on mac(s).  As for the popups, I have never had one from Affinity.  But if you add your name to their mailing list, you will periodically receive emails related to“Affinity Spotlight” with interesting information, examples of what other professionals are creating, helpful information etc. which you may opt to read or not.   You may also receive an email once in awhile regarding special offers such as the current 50% off sale.   But these are not the daily “how are we doing” tooth-grinding sort of thing at all.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thanks Alfred and Wellborn,

I feel silly...I was trying to make a joke...Adobe has been littering our screens trying get us to stop using older versions of software we paid for and insisting we start paying fees each month, frequently coming to boatloads of money per year.

My real questions were regarding the licensing. I am a bit confused...my iPad version I got some time back is working but Affinity is not recognizing my email. I am not quite sure what that means. I may just go ahead and by a copy of Serif for my iMac. I suspect Alfred is on the money!

27 minutes ago, dcrodwell said:

My real questions were regarding the licensing. I am a bit confused...my iPad version I got some time back is working but Affinity is not recognizing my email. I am not quite sure what that means. I may just go ahead and by a copy of Serif for my iMac. I suspect Alfred is on the money!

You purchased your iPad version from Apple, not from Serif. Unless you purchased something else from Serif's Affinity Store, or downloaded some of the free content they've made available on occasion from the Affinity Store, the Serif Affinity Store would not know your email address.

And for your question, it doesn't matter where you bought the iPad version. Wherever you purchased it from, the MacOS version needs a separate license, and thus a separate purchase.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You know Walt you just might be correct. I may well have bought it through the Apple App Store...I never knew it was available direct through Affinity.

Well that seals the deal. I will buy a copy for the iMac and when needed, I will install it on the new M1 Mac when I get it.

You folks are fabulous here...thank you!

1 hour ago, dcrodwell said:

I never knew it was available direct through Affinity.

It's not. That's how I know you bought it (the iPad version) from Apple :)

-- Walt
PC: