You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I troubleshoot PS plugins that don't work (on mac)?

Hi there All,

I'm new to Affinity Photo - I purchased a license today. I'm migrating from PS CS4 on MacOS of which I've been an occasional user for about a decade, and which no longer works well enough for my simple needs (stability issues).

I've relied on on NoiseNinja from PictureCode for years to remove noise from photos taken by my Canon DSLR (camera of similar vintage) and would very much like to continue using it with AP, but it's not listed in the Photoshop plugin list. The Nik collection (located in another subfolder of the same plugins folder added to the search folder list) is listed though (some marked as status unknown, as expected). I've read Why is noise ninja plugin not working, as well as Miguel's plugin support list,

I understand that somewhere there is a master list of plugins and their known status. Could someone point me at this list (I couldn't find it during an earlier search), as well as suggest where to get more information on troubleshooting plugins (logs or similar?) on mac.

My thanks in advance for your consideration - I'm looking forward to learning from many of you through copious forum lurking.

Tosis

5 minutes ago, Tosis said:

I understand that somewhere there is a master list of plugins and their known status.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Tosis. :)

I believe that “Miguel's plugin support list” and the “master list of plugins” are one and the same.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Tosis said:

I'm starting to wonder if @MEB == Miguel?

Wonder no longer! @MEB is indeed Miguel. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Tosis,
My license update period for this plugin/app (Photo Ninja) have expired and i'm not able to check (update to) the latest v1.3.5 yet. Apparently this plugin does not work with the current version of Affinity Photo - it appears listed for me in the Filters menu but does nothing when i launch it. I'm updating it to latest version to check if there's any difference and will get back to you shortly.

Thank you for your consideration MEB, it's very much appreciated!

I'm running the final version of NoiseNinja which is 2.4.1 (dated 2004). NoiseNinja can be found over here.The current version of PhotoNinja looks to be 1.3.5c, but unfortunately I don't have a license for it. Still, if you're able to get PhotoNinja running that might be sufficient to incite an upgrade.

• Staff

Hi Tosis,
NoiseNinja 2.4.1 is a 32 bit plug-in. It will not run in Affinity Photo without additional software like Plugin Bridge or AlphaPlugins LaunchBox (which allows to run 32 bit plugins on 64bit apps). Even so it's not granted that Noise Ninja will work this way/is compatible with Affinity Photo.

I was referring to Photo Ninja (as you noticed) which i'm checking now.