Sign in to follow this  
stinkykong

Difficulties selecting

I can't click on an object to select it. I have to find it in the layers panel and click on the layer. Is there a way to make Affinity Designer allow me to click on the object itself to select?

Hi stinkykong,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check if you have the Edit All Layers button disabled in the bottom left of the Layers panel. If so enable it. Other reason you may not be able to select it on canvas is if the object is locked. Check if there's a padlock icon in front of that object's layer in the Layers panel. If so click on it to unlock the layer. If neither of those is the cause, the object may be clipped inside another. In that case a double-click should let you select the object.

If you still have trouble please post a screenshot of the application window with the Layers panel visible and layer/object you want to select highlighted.

That's it. It's a little hard to understand based solely on the behavior. It might be good if the tool tip changed when you clicked back and forth or if the icon changed to be crossed out rather than highlighted when active. But it makes sense once you know how it works.