You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

breaking apart objects in Affinity Designer

• Staff

Hi iMatt,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Can you be more specific please? Which format are you trying to import? How are the layers/objects structured? Can you post a screenshot of the Layers panel so we can give specific advice?

Overall, take a look at the Layers panel (the labels after the layer's name): if the elements are grouped you can ungroup them going to menu Layer ▸ Ungroup (or Ungroup All). If you have a single compound curve - identified as Curves (note the S at the end) in the Layers panel - you can split it into its basic shapes going to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Divide (or pressing the equivalent icon on the main toolbar). If you have several objects clipped inside an object (curve/shape) you can select them all in the Layers panel, right-click in one of them and select Release or simply drag them to outside the clipping object layer.

Okay, thanks. This works. Menu - Layer - Geometry - Divide seemed to do the trick. I think the problem is I have used Adobe Illustrator and then CorelDraw longer than I have Affinity Designer. The menu commands are differently named in those programs.

• Staff

Welcome iMatt.

As this is not a tutorial for others to enjoy, I am moving it to the Questions forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but just wanted to check if AD has had any updates that might do break apart.

I have been using Inkscape and the command is break apart.  Something I used all the time.

It just made it easier to only have what you are working on selected, not the whole thing.

Be nice if AD had something like it.    Maybe I am missing something in AD

Thanks

Bob

Bob                

Windows 10           Affinity Designer:  1.8.5.703

26 minutes ago, Eagle Works said:

I have been using Inkscape and the command is break apart.  Something I used all the time.

It just made it easier to only have what you are working on selected, not the whole thing.

Lets say you make a bunch of stars in Inkscape and 'Combine' them.

When i open the svg file in AD, i can seperate these stars with the 'Divide' Boolean Operation.