Introduce Yourself

Hi all.

I'm Olly. Based in the south-east of England. Getting back into design after a slightly traumatic experience at an agency that set me back a lot. 

My main passion design-wise is branding and print media. I was able to do some basic website stuff, but a few years away from that industry has me left in the dust.

Tried the trial versions of Designer and Publisher (still using Pixelmator for image work, which might well change in the future), felt right at home and bought them outright.

Looking forward to seeing where all this takes me...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, I'm Matt Priestley and I'm one of the Affinity developers. I'll try to help out on any topic, but particularly anything relating to tools, views and document drawing as they're the bits I'm mostly

Hello everyone. My name is Rui Batista and I'm a graphic designer from Portugal. I started out a LONG time ago, using Illustrator 1.0 and, after that, FreeHand 1.0 Ever since Adobe "killed" FreeHan

Hi, I'm Gregg. I am new to DrawPlus. I've looked  at it for a few years but always decided against it because it was Windows based. I've have always had Parallels installed on my iMac but thought usin

Hellow everyone, i'm afdol, Works on digital printing in a small town in West Sumatra - indonesia, i migrate to affinity designer since last year, I like what I get in Affinity Designer, the features are suitable for what I'm working on, and I just entered the forum a few months ago, I think by joining this community, I hope I can add and deepen my skills.

Hello, my name is Giovanni and I live in Peru, my English is not good enough to communicate with you quickly, but... I will try.

I have been working for more than twenty years designing and creating content for private and governmental companies, I am a designer with experience in technical themes and marketing development.

My approach to Affinity is because I also design books and magazines, I was looking for a program to replace the old Ventura Publisher, (Ventura Publisher was the first popular desktop publishing package for IBM PC compatible computers running the GEM extension to the DOS operating system.) I have tried all the alternatives, like QuarkXpress, InDesign, PrintMaster, etc. I found the alternative that works best, without approaching the excellence of the old Ventura, is Affinity Publisher. That's why I'm here and I want to keep learning and improving my skills together with this interesting community of design professionals.

1 hour ago, Giovanni Pietri said:

found the alternative that works best, without approaching the excellence of the old Ventura....

There are a few people here with Ventura experience. In my case it is extremely limited.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

30 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

There are a few people here with Ventura experience. In my case it is extremely limited.

Yes, the control over all the features of the publishing and typographic fonts was extremely accurate, thus achieving an excellent product when taking a book to press. Unfortunately, the learning curve of the program required a lot of prior knowledge about book layout and typography at professional levels. The program was abandoned by the owner corporation over a decade ago and did not receive any updates and lost all support, however, it continued to put up a fight and can be used, with certain small tricks in Windows 10, but, unfortunately, it is already a bit too unstable. I know that not many people used the program as it was a high level specialized tool.

Of course, this lack of evolution has made it fall into oblivion and its users are forced to look for alternatives... and Affinity Publisher is an excellent opportunity to get the job done, with good tools, image management and high quality artistic and paragraph text, with an intuitive and clean interface that manages to make the work of building a book, a magazine or any similar advertising piece, a pleasure and not a heavy work.

I do not suggest anyone to use the old program, just as I would not suggest using the Eagle lunar module to go to Mars today.

Hello folks :)

Mostly I shoot RAW and am keen user of DSLR and primes

Have been learning my way round Affinity for a couple of weeks now (having migrated from another software). Mostly I am interested in the HDR / stacking type capabilities as my digital darkroom activities has been pretty minimal / traditional so far

UK based my day job is digital transformation / user centred digital design, image making is a hobby. Run a small UX / UR agency - so far Affinity is "doing okay" in terms of its design :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am John. I am a nature photographer and work with mostly RAW files. I also take part in Photo competitions which require jpeg file format. When I load a RAW file into Affinity and work on it, it is then Developed to an Affinity Document. This cannot seemingly be saved as a jpeg file. How do I convert Affinity Documents into jpeg files for use in digital competition? I know this is a destructive method of file saving but the rules of the competition are jpeg only.

16 hours ago, John Kirk said:

Hi I am John. I am a nature photographer and work with mostly RAW files. I also take part in Photo competitions which require jpeg file format. When I load a RAW file into Affinity and work on it, it is then Developed to an Affinity Document. This cannot seemingly be saved as a jpeg file. How do I convert Affinity Documents into jpeg files for use in digital competition? I know this is a destructive method of file saving but the rules of the competition are jpeg only.

Hi John, I am also new to to AP and also capture all in RAW for photo competitions If You go to File and Export you will get the range of formats in which you can save. 

After selecting the JPEG format you can also resize to the correct size for competitions then export.

Hope this helps

Trevor

Hi, I'm KKat

I'm not an IT expert so please bear with me.

After a friend's recommendation, I have downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo onto my old iMac. 

I have Lightroom 5 (purchased outright) which I use to sort my images and a very old version of Nik Collection. 
I followed the instructions on the internet so I could open Affinity in Lr i.e. Photo / Edit in / Edit in Affinity photo.app.
However, when I do this it just copies the image into a Tiff file and that's it. When I did this with Nik, the image just opened in the app so I could edit it.

Can you please direct me to the place where I can see the next step.

More questions:
  • can Affinity photo prepare slideshows & / or movies?
  • or do I need to purchase one of the other products i.e. Design or Publisher?
  • can I add music to the slideshow?

I realise these are basic questions & would appreciate help.

Regards & thanks

KKat

10 hours ago, KKat said:

More questions:
  • can Affinity photo prepare slideshows & / or movies?
  • or do I need to purchase one of the other products i.e. Design or Publisher?
  • can I add music to the slideshow?

I realise these are basic questions & would appreciate help.

The answer to each question is No. No Slideshow/Movie capability exists in any of the Affinity products.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

@KKat

Affinity photo is a great advanced photo editing software similar to photoshop. Use it as a stand alone package and do not call from
LR or other similar applications. AP has all the photo editing features built into it. Watch a couple of introductory videos at the official
website to get a good start. You will never regret purchasing this software. If you are looking for animation movies, try the free Blender
software which is a 3D application with a steep learning curve. If your need is only slides and ppt, use the free Openoffice software.

Hi, I'm Jenna, from Palm Springs, California, USA.

I'm a long time artist/game developer, and I've been using Photoshop since 1992. Recently, however, I decided to shake things up a bit (new inspirations and all that) and look for something else to replace that old (but lovely!) beast, so here I am. Bought Photo and Design, and already diving in. So far, so good.

Mostly using it on my PC but I'll likely get it for my Mac as well. I showed it to my wife (also an artist) earlier and she bought it as well. :)

Thanks!

~ Jenna

Hi, I'm Yain from Fryslân.

I'm very green to all the digital drawing and photo stuff and no professional and have a lot to learn. I love to draw though, with pencil, (real) ink and paper. You can find some of my work on devianART (Yainderidoo).

So forgive me if some of the questions I'm going to ask sound a bit odd for people how are in this field much longer then I. Almost 62 and just wanting to learn....    ~;o)