You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

I would spend a lot of time going through each subject and then try to take it down to a very easy to understand paragraph but still keep it true to the science.

Sounds good. I don't know if it would stay true to science since it might be more a legend, but another thing you can include is Nibiru. It's the name of Planet X and it is believed by people that it will create a massive destruction to Earth's atmosphere. I think some believe it is also an entity. I can't say I believe that though, but it's still interesting.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello all!

I'm another long time Adobe Photoshop (cough cough since version 1!)  and Illustrator user coming on board here. I've also been around since the early Pagemaker and Freehand days and it's nice to see some new great applications now. I primarily work on my own now and was happy to find some other options that didn't require large monthly payments. I've been pretty impressed with Photo and Designer and while I can see some features that will really help them get more robust they're off to an amazing beginning.

I've been slowly getting comfortable switching my creative workflow to only use the Affinity products. My first big project was a science / astronomy education site for young people that I created. All the illustrations and graphics were created with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer with a few other supporting applications as well. The Universe from A to Z

It's nice to see a great community and forum here!

Jeff

That's a really neat project, congrats!

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself, as I predict I will be posting here every so often to help or get help

I'm a hobby graphic designer, and by that I mean very much a beginner. I've done some police badges and car designs, and I'm looking to up my skills and software. I cut my teeth on Inkscape, but it runs a little slow on my mac, and the UI isn't as pretty as all the other apple stuff so I bought affinity designer.

Immediately I was frustrated with trying to join two nodes, but I figured it out. I have a feeling if i put the same time into this as I did with Inkscape I'll be better off with AD.

I look forward to learning from you guys and searching first, and maybe one day contributing!

Jon

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself, as I predict I will be posting here every so often to help or get help

I'm a hobby graphic designer, and by that I mean very much a beginner. I've done some police badges and car designs, and I'm looking to up my skills and software. I cut my teeth on Inkscape, but it runs a little slow on my mac, and the UI isn't as pretty as all the other apple stuff so I bought affinity designer.

Immediately I was frustrated with trying to join two nodes, but I figured it out. I have a feeling if i put the same time into this as I did with Inkscape I'll be better off with AD.

I look forward to learning from you guys and searching first, and maybe one day contributing!

Jon

Welcome aboard, Jon!

Jon

I've struggled off and on w. Inkscape on Mac for years. While there are lots of good things about it, the interface seems incredibly awkward, and performance under X-windows leaves a lot to be desired.

AD's interface is extensive. Lots of stuff to dig thru, but its laid out pretty well. I still forget sometimes where various things are tucked away.

And the performance is superb, IMO.

I'd suggest you spend some time messing with the built in shapes. There are more than 20, they all have multiple variations, and the cornering tool can add even more variety. With those, and the boolean geometry operations, there are a very large number of things that one may draw w/o using hand drawing.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi Brownfox, and welcome to the Affinity forums.

I say it was a smart choice to go with Affinity. I use it practically every day, and it's easy to see that the staff really push themselves in updates and bug fixes. So it's in really good hands. Once you get the hang of the software, it becomes so easy to use, but just like any program, it can still have a steep learning curve. And I think I may have gotten addicted to the forums, so you should see me quite often. I hope you don't get sick of me.  :D

I never actually liked Inkscape. I think it's a good program for the basics, but I wouldn't call it a serious competitor to Illustrator. I know Designer still has more to accomplish, and Inkscape is better in some levels, but overall, Designer behaves and feels more professional.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello Jon,

for a good start I recommend the many instruction and tutorial videos you can find on Vimeo.

Have fun!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I agree with the more professional part that designer has over Inkscape.  But I'm so grateful for Inkscape for being my gateway into this.  I was able to design graphics for my police department's cars and motorcycles.  Of course I'm grateful for them almost paying me to learn it in a way.

I don't learn well by just watching a video to start, I do much better when I try and figure it out and when I can't connect something in 5-10 minutes I google it and watch the video.  I like to learn the hard way, can't stop for the life of me.  I have to have an objective before I absorb anything.

I should say my goals with this program are fairly simple.  My primary one is to be able to design morale patches for the law enforcement community.  Memorial stuff, funny stuff, that can be turned into stickers and patches at a local shop.

Hi guys, as an independent designer I'm sick and tired of adobes stranglehold on my creativity...... Their recent cloud and subscription model is an affront to everything I believe in not to mention the lack of security for my sensitive clients (cc) ....... I currently create assets for 3D games and obviously like all of my peers need support for tga output......... All game engines require this and is a huge market, considering the fact that 3D licenses are so painfully expensive affinity need to seriously address this issue and offer tga support along with integration with substance and Quixel this would give them a massive leverage over Adobe and free the thousands of 3D and 2d games artists from the tyranny of Adobe ..... I have spent thousands over the years supporting this unholy cartel because there is no other viable alternative in my pipeline..... Affinity/serif need to LISTEN ...... You guys could make a difference and become heroes if only you would add tga support ..... The day that happens I'd switch in a heartbeat! Death to Adobe! ......... But you guys MUST deliver what we need!

Hello everyone, my name is Alberto, a former wedding photographer, and current DSLR lens repair technician. I have been working with photography and a bit of graphic design since the early 90s, but the type of photography I really enjoy is landscapes. It gives me serenity that I could never get from shooting weddings!

I have used the other guys' photo editing software for around 24 years, and absolutely hated the subscription model when it was introduced. Then I saw Affinity Photo on the Mac and was so jealous that it wasn't offered on Windows at the time. But now that it is, I couldn't be happier! I can use all of my plugins, with the exception of one: Andromeda Cutline. It's an old plugin, and the company has stopped development of that plugin back in 2014. Every time I try to use it Affinity Photo crashes :-( Luckily it's is very rare that I use that plugin, so I am in no rush to get this resolved. I have yet to tap all the features of Affinity Photo, but look forwards to learning! 

Hello everyone,

I'm a "serious amateur" with about 50 years of photography experience. I recently starting shooting with Olympus MFT equipment after selling my Sony APS-C equipment. I had been using Capture One Pro For Sony but just couldn't stomach having to pay $300 for the Pro version that supports all camera RAW files. Also, I never really liked Capture One for several reasons. I won't rent software so Adobe was out. I posted in a couple of photo forums and someone suggested Affinity Photo. What sold me was:

1) Upcoming iPad support as I REALLY prefer mobile editing. (Any idea when that will be coming out?)

2) Focus stacking - One reason I bought my EM10 II was for the focus bracketing and now I don't have to use a standalone program (Zerene Stacker) for stacking. I can do everything in one place - NICE!

3) Regular stacking - I dabble in astrophotography.

4) The price!

I've made my way through about 1/2 of the online tutorials and find them very well done, easy to follow and extremely helpful although I'd happily pay for a written manual.

Hi  :)

Excuse my English, it's very basic.

I am addicted to mac and photoshop ... and today I start the ten days free with the trial.

I want to check that I can work without Photoshop, (after many years) and especially without paying the excessive amount for me of Creative Cloud.

It would be great to get it!

I trust in these days to know if I can work with AF I will look for in the forum your posts and advice, therefore, thanks to all those who have previously helped to form this forum of learning and consultations.

From Madrid, greetings to all, especially to the developers of AF that I do not name because they are a lot ;)

Hi all, I'm Bert Seinstra, from The Netherlands.I started with a 10 day Affinity Photo trail  on my windows pc. I did not finished the trail had to have it fast. I'm a therapist, photography is my way to keep relaxed. Affinity Photo is the perfect tool to enhanced my pictures

Hi, I'm Alex Hallen and own a small business, AHmedia. I am mainly a Computer technician for Mac and Windows platforms, but also provide graphics design and pro audio services. I've always wanted to combine my creative hobbies into my professional career, hence the business name.

I just recently stumbled across the Affinity products while I was searching for a Photoshop alternative and immediately purchased Photo after studying some reviews. I think Affinity has the potential to overtake the Adobe products in time!

Looking forward to discussing Affinity products here!

Hi, I,m Andy Warran from Yate, near Bristol in the UK. I am retired and spend a lot of time taking photos and manipulating pictures. I was using Photoshop CS6 but having bought a new camera (Canon EOS 70D) I found that I could not load the raw photos directly unless I updated to Photoshop CC. As I didn't like the idea of  getting a subscription I searched for a program that would load the raw files directly. After trying various other programs I came across Affinity Photo and  I loved it immediately. 

I look forward to asking a lot of questions and discussing Affinity here in this forum.  :)

Hi there!

I'm Cecilia, a graphic design student from Paraguay. I've just purchased Affinity Designer and Photo so that I can personally switch to using those in my freelance work. It'll take some time getting used to the changes, but it's worth it I think. 

Once I'm better at designing with Affinity I hope to be of help in translating the tutorials to Spanish, so more people get access to the software :)

Aló, soy Cecilia, estudiante de diseño gráfico de Paraguay. Acabo de adquirir Affinity Designer y Photo para mudar de software y usarlos en mi trabajo freelance. Tomará un tiempo acostumbrarme, seguro, pero considero que vale la pena.

Una vez que tenga más soltura diseñando en Affinity me encantaría colaborar en traducir al español los tutoriales que existen, para que más personas tengan acceso al software :)

Hello Affinity people, I am very happy to be here. I am an Amateur Hobbyist and have been a PhotoShop 7 user for many years, also use Lightroom 6. My main focus is editing and manipulating Raw Images. Also, creating artwork for business cards and such for my small business.

I am a member of a local Photography Club and know three people using Affinity. When I looked the program over I was totally blown away. "The Inpainting Tool Wow", and the similarities to Photoshop are close enough I can get up to speed with a some effort. I am excited to start using Affinity, and will have many questions. Looking forward to further conversations.

Hello Everyone!

I'm a small screen printing shop owner and I'm excited to learn about design and how to take ideas from paper to t-shirt! I'm excited for this new tool because of it's abilities which seem comparable to Adobe or Coral and for a fraction of the cost! I don't have much experience with design apps, although I do have a lot of hours clocked in with photoshop for basic photo editing way back in the day. 

So I realize this is a new beast to wrestle but I'm up for the challenge and am super excited to get going!

Thanks!

Hi, my name is Tilas and I'm an artist from Yukon, Canada! I recently got into Affinity Designer because I love to vector, and it's just so much easier and more fun than Inkscape! I'm hear to learn all about that AD can do. :) 

Hi my name is Laurie Garland. I love to doodle so much, Decided to create a new line Laurie Doodles i have use photoshop, and illustrator. Decided to take my art in vectir style. However find Adobe illustrator confusing and overwhelming. Not to mention frustrating... I own Serif Craft Artist 2 Draw plus 6x upgraded to 8X now I just bought Affinity Design and i love it. Good Bye Adobe Hell. Hello Serif Software Heaven. Your software and Designers are Geniuses . You all work really hard delivering what us artist really want Hugs. And you don’t even force us to rent your software to use your software, a one time fee with free updates. You won me as a customer for life. And anyone looking for software art programs advice, i will be recommending you 110%

Hugs.

Hello, my name is Przemyslaw Mejna. I am aspiring illustrator and designer. Bought recently new PC and Affinity Designer. I am going to start my own illustration business in near future. Love drawing traditionally and digitally. Love vector technique. Hope I will find there a lot of inspiration, and maybe new artist friends :)

Greetings to everybody :) 

Hi, I just received my AD workbook yesterday.  I am looking forward to learning this application.  So far I've been using the online tutorials for AP and manage to understand the app to some degree now I want to take the illustration to another level.  Looking forward to some of you experts to offer advice and help when I get stuck.  Awesome application.