MattP

Introduce Yourself

Hello everybody,

My name is Henri from the Netherlands. I'am a user of the Adobe CC apps, but I'am from the beginning testing AP, AD and APub for hoping that there is a switch time to Affinity, keep on testing, but Affinity isn't still doing some stuff that I definitely need to make money for my living. So Affinity, keep on going and I'll be there :-D

Greetings from Groesbeek - Berg en Dal, The Netherlands

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm John Clark, a freelance graphic designer and long-time Aldus/Macromedia/Adobe FreeHand advocate/enthusiast.

Despite being neither developed nor supported since it, together with other Macromedia titles, was acquired several years ago by Adobe with the express purpose of killing it off in favour of its own, and FreeHand’s main but inferior commercial rival, Adobe Illustrator, it remains an impressive piece of design/illustration software that, believe it or not, I continue to use, together with other “obsolete” and “irreplaceable” design applications and utilities, in life-support, cul-de-sac mode on durable but ageing Mac G4s.

I do utilise more contemporary Macs, mainly to run production, admin and accountancy software, some of which are Windows-only flavours running in emulation on Parallels Desktop, but recent business developments have now necessitated the need to adopt “modern” design and illustration software which, I feared, might mean being forced down the horrendously implemented, monopoly-driven, hitherto predicted extortionately priced Adobe Road to Hell.

Fortunately, however, I stumbled across Affinity’s Designer and Photo combo that initially I thought too good to be true, particularly at such reasonable pricing, but which, after some research and no little soul searching I decided might not be too much of a risky endeavour.

I have now had both titles about a month, and have been quietly surprised and not a little impressed by what I have so far discovered.

To help flatten the learning curve, I purchased the pair of highly regarded companion “Workbooks” that, with the “Photo” version being out of print and thus on back-order, has allowed me to concentrate on Designer at the expense of Photo. The Affinity Designer Workbook is excellent, not only in terms of content, but also in aesthetic presentation and quality finish.

I am one of those sad individuals that actually reads/studies software manuals in the full knowledge that more is learned in less time, and as such I have gradually but quickly compiled a short list of questions and observations that Affinity Help has failed to either answer or address, and some examples of which are listed below.

1. Can the Page Guides (not margins) be given a custom colour (as in FreeHand)?
  2. Is there a trace or auto-trace feature (as in FreeHand)?
  3. Can the Artistic text box be constrained to fixed dimensions (as in FreeHand)?
  4. On discovering an apparently undocumented modifier/mouse click combination to elicit control handles from a shape’s sharp node, and thus more intuitively converting it (FreeHand style, sorry!) into a smooth node, the resulting action is inconsistent from one shape compared to that of another (although all instances are consistent within a single given shape, there are two separate, distinctively differing actions).
  5. Can gradient fill “stops” be “numerically” positioned as well as that of manually (as in ... no, just kidding)?
  6. A Designer Workbook tutorial mentions the deleting of nodes in the Brush Editing, Dynamic Tabs profiles, but only adding them seems possible. Nothing I tried resulted in a deletion.
Edited by JohnWClark
Grammatical corrections.

Hi all - I'm a software and game designer from Embraceware. Long time user of Photoshop and Illustrator switching to Affinity Designer. Very impressed so far! We're working on several 2D pixel art games and the pixel art tools / support in Affinity Designer for Mac and iPad have been great so far.

DwPV8qsU8AEVQKG.png-large.png

On 5/5/2019 at 9:07 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@JohnWClark

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Thanks for the kind words about the software. Please can you copy/paste your 6 questions into a post on the questions forum, as this thread is not suitable to reply to everyone with a query

Already done!

Hello,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I have bought AffinityPhoto & Designer (a) because they are great products and (b) like a good many people, I am looking to come away from an endless photoshop subscription. I also want to move away from mega commercial corporations generally. Oddly enough, it was Adobe's OTT customer service that was the clincher. I recently had to order the Adobe Creative Suite for work.  Going through the process with the customer service person - she said: "I'm going on holiday next week - but you can still e mail me  if you have any questions." Nooo!  Okay, full marks for being enthusiastic and dedicated - but there should be a proper life/work balance so that in ordinary jobs you should not have to be on call 24/7.   Very few people on their death-beds have said: I wish I'd spent more time at the office.

Having got that off my chest, I am looking forward to learning about and working with both Photo and Designer. Although the day I claim to know it all, will be the day to hang up my Wacom pen!  I've been a serious hobby artist in digital format for 20 odd years (I think I started out with Photoshop 3) and like to do cemetery-based art, incorporating portals and pathways. I am also looking to develop a theme for faerie art - but not the disturbingly cutesy/disneyesque/ poser type.

Cheers

Nick

Hi I am Rob

I am thinking of getting Affinity Photo to replace my ageing Lightroom. So I will be teaching Forums and Teaching Aids before doing so.

Regards Rob

38 minutes ago, Rob26 said:

I am thinking of getting Affinity Photo to replace my ageing Lightroom. So I will be teaching Forums and Teaching Aids before doing so.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Rob. :)

Affinity Photo is more of a Photoshop alternative than a Lightroom replacement. If you want to put it through its paces before purchase, you can download a ten-day trial here: https://affin.co/phototrial

Please be aware that the trial clock runs continuously from the moment you first launch the app.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Hi Jessica,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind creating a new thread in the Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) so we can follow your issue along with a description of what the problem is (what happens when you try to run it, any error message?) and the OS you are running (macOS, Windows, iOS)? Thanks

Nice to join this community. I don't know how I missed this app before, it becomes my favorite for compositings.

My work http://www.chopinephotography.com and tutorials http://www.geekatplay.com as well on youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GeekatplayStudio

I am planning to record compositing tutorials 3d-> digital photography -> compositing in Affinity Photo.

Hello I am Jeff Place and I have been a longtime user of Serif products. Fell in love with PagePlus back in the early stages of development. Was on early beta testing team. I have been doing payout since 1991 and publishing a newspaper (now pdf digital). Also have done a ton of freelance work.

21 minutes ago, JPSports said:

Hello I am Jeff Place and I have been a longtime user of Serif products. Fell in love with PagePlus back in the early stages of development. Was on early beta testing team. I have been doing payout since 1991 and publishing a newspaper (now pdf digital). Also have done a ton of freelance work.

Good to see you here, Jeff! :)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Hello everyone! 

A quick intro: I discovered the existence of Affinity just a few days ago, to my absolute joy.  I had been with Adobe for years until a couple of months ago when I finally found the courage to just end it.  I did not walk away from them smiling, quite the opposite, I was scared...but it was necessary and between then and now, thought I'd tried everything but then found you and wow, what can I say...despair is dissolved!

More general stuff; my background is in photography, graphic design, writing and music...with a partner of mine, bringing all those things together this year, that's the plan made all the more possible because of everything here.  Simply put, I am now enjoying creating again instead of fighting with tech.  Thank you...

hello i'm Ronnie and using affinity photo now a year and like it so much :-) now working on saying farwel to Adobe so i like publisher and designer a lot but there are some things that give a smal thinkover or it is not there simply. for now i like the change.

Hello everyone,

I am a web developer and designer, who has been lurking on these forums for a while, and finally decided to join today.

I have been using Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on both macOS and iPad for a few months, after saying goodbye to the CC apps.

Hi, I am a K12 teacher in Belgium. Teaching Graphic Arts and Design. Also webdesign and animation.

Going over from Adobe to Serif on Mac. On PC I was using Serif from the beginning.

Hello everyone,  my name is Jay.  I am in my early 50s and retired in Scotland.  My hobby was painting - watercolours and acrylics but due to circumstances I cannot enjoy that hobby anymore and I needed to take on something I could do alone and within a limited amount of space.  I therefore decided to learn and master the Affinity software - Designer, Publisher and Photo, and see what I can create digitally.  I have just taken advantage of the discounts to get all the software, ordered my computer notebook, purchased the workbooks and a few other tools and will get started shortly as soon as the computer arrives. 

I am looking forward to learning again and I would be grateful for any tips or advice.

Regards,

Jay

• Hello I have just started using affinity and am slowly converting my camera club members to save money and give it  a go ,still a lot to learn but getting there ,the hardest part is
  • forgetting the PS that I have been using for years, but head down backside up and keep going .

Hi, 

I'm Jerry and just getting back to photography.  I think Affinity Photo is going to be just what I need.  But I do wish there was support for Android.  Perhaps someday.  

Jerry

Hi everybody

I'm William from East Kent. I've been interested in DTP for over 20 years. I started out on PageMaker at college, but never really fully grasped the principles until I got my own PC and PM. I dabbled in the first version of InDesign on Windows, but felt that it was slow and overly complicated. I've also used Quark on Windows before transitioning to Mac. Quark is much more like PM and user friendly, but expensive for the dabbler.

Currently, I'm trialling a student version of Creative Suite. (On a new 27" iMac with Core i9/40 GB RAM/SSD - aren't I the lucky one). The tutorials from Adobe's Classroom in a Book remind me why I never liked InDesign. The program is much more solid and full-featured, of course, being iterations down the line. But ID is resolutely professional; I don't like all content within frames, and find the wealth of panels and option overwhelming.

I already own Affinity Designer (hardly used, though I mastered the basics of Illustrator back in the day). So I'm looking at acquiring Affinity Publisher, as a route back into DTP. I hope Affinity will publish a book on Publisher as they did with Designer, so I can learn along with that, too.

William

Hi I'm Andrew,

Love the affinity package and for for the future of the product and use all the applications.

Love to learn and become a graphic designer and what I learnt is by my own skills I built up and small time in the industry.

Hope the affinity packages grow.