You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

‘the North of the UK’! ;)

isn't that where your location is? [quick-head-ducking-motion emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

isn't that where your location is? [quick-head-ducking-motion emoticon]

Yes, it is. No need for any ducking motions!! duckie.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @iamscotty. :)

Last time I checked, Nottingham — home to Serif (Europe) Ltd — was in the East Midlands. That hardly qualifies as the North of England, let alone ‘the North of the UK’! ;)

Thanks @Alfred

I set the divide.

I'm The King of The North. ;) :D 

Hi, my name is Felix and I'm a third-year mathematics doctoral student at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey (USA). 

Fluent German speaker, attended German Gymnasium for six years when my father was posted overseas with the US State Department. Hobbies include nature photography and cycling.

Three siblings, two brothers, both graduate engineers, and a sister who's a medical doctor, a surgical resident, at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland (USA). 

Hi. I am Alexey and I am from Moscow, the capital of the Russian Federation.

Bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer a few days ago. For many years I used Adobe Master Collection CS6 on Mac. But now I'm back on Windous 10 Pro, so i bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for Windous 10 Pro PC. Of course I have a lifetime license for Adobe CS6 software and i can use it on Mac. I work a lot with photos and I think what Affinity Photo will replace for me Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Lightroom 4. When Adobe switched to subscription, they made a huge mistake, I will never use subscription software or any subscription plans.

Hello, I am Ry Rodriguez and I am student. I just wanted to say this is such a great idea. Once I get the money I will buy all your products because creative cloud kills my bank. I love the set up of all your programs and your amazing forums that help me so much. I hope to be working with you all soon. Digital arts is much more efficient with you guys. Happy Making!

Hi, I am Arnold Gawad from the Philippines currently working as one of the Art Production Head in a well-known publishing company in our country. I just downloaded the beta version of your Affinity Publisher and I've been using it for two days. I am still in the process of testing to make a proposal if we can use this in replacement with Adobe Indesign. I hope there is a convertion from Adobe Indesign to Affinity Publisher so that there would be no concerns in shifting to Affinity Publisher.

I will definitely joining other discussions so that I can voice out my experiences in using APub and hope to test also the other applications that I think in this moment in time, I need to buy. Good luck to all of you!

On 3/15/2019 at 7:03 PM, stevespicer said:

Hi I'm Steve Spicer, I just downloaded yourPublisher  beta and I'm very impressed.

I'm an InDesign ACE and current ACI. I've been using InDesign since version 1 launch way back. I am a graphic designer and I also teach graphic design and the use of software. I have been asked to develop a cost effective publishing solution (vectors/rasters/publishing to PDF).

To try this out properly, what I need is to use it for a real job. Out of 10, how stable is the beta? Is there any documentation?

Welcome!    I have used Pagemaker and InDesign for donkeys' years, and am thoroughly delighted with Publisher.    Although it is currently in Beta, and the developers expressly inform us that it can have glitches and is not suitable for commercial work, I have found that it is already first rate for my purposes.  Can't wait to purchase it!   I have imported PDF's from InDesign documents, placed them in Publisher, and then reformatted them into editable documents which I have then revised.   For fun, I have recently completed a 96-page small book with 123 illustrations, all neatly captioned, and text wrapped perfectly around them.   I used Affinity Photo to spruce up very old photographs and to improve the quality of a few images in the public domain that I found on the internet.   I was amazed at what I could do.  The print quality for my finished project was outstanding.    I am a total dolt at graphic design, but have purchased Affinity Designer for fun.   I believe that is where the "vectors/rasters" bit really resides, but then -- as I said -- I am a dolt.   I know there are people on these forums who can properly advise you.   I have the retail Photo and Designer, and Publisher (Beta) and personally think we HAVE the cost-effective publishing solution!!

The "documentation" for Publisher is currently in the Help section, and quite sparse, but the developers will surely have an extensive Help (like that in Photo and Designer) when Publisher is ready for retail.    Meanwhile, there are the introductory videos to help with the learning curve, which is a little steep, coming from the habits of InDesign, but the Search possibility in the Forums is a huge help and oh, my! what Publisher can do!!    Also, if you have questions, just ask in these forums!   There are so many really experienced people who are ready, willing, and able to help you and dolts like me!!  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hello everyone>

My Name is Todd I an a retired Graphic Designer. I still do some design work freelance from time to time. Photoshop and Illustrator were my go-to design programs. However, I decided to switch over to the Affinity line of design programs. There are many new moves to learn in order to become proficient in these programs. Learning the different commands to do accomplish the same results is not an overnight process. I am still struggling a bit. I will be using all resources including this forum to get up to speed.

-T

Hello I'm Frank. I've used Photoshop CS6 for about 10 years. I refuse to get pulled into the rental software business. I ran across an ad yesterday for Affinity Photo at 20% off and thought 'why not'. One day's use and I'm quite impressed. I'm strictly a hobbiest and Affinity Photo does everything I need. Thanks for the product.

My name is Craig and I discovered Serif's products after a very long phone call to Adobe, I had used them for years but because I moved from one country to another they would not accept my credit card but asked me to phone Australia! I have to say it was the best thing that could have happened and I am now using all three Affinity programs. Tomorrow the first document I set in Publisher is being published by a university. It is over 55 pages and was a breeze to finish. I hit a couple of very minor snags but overall it is a great product even though it is still in beta.

Please, can I thank the Affinity team, you have great products, good support and I am enjoying being an evangelist for your products.

• Staff

@Gorio, @fellis and @Tfix

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello, I'm Chris - a retired IT manager dedicating retirement to the pursuit of photography with my Fuji X-T2.  My first year's Adobe subscription ends in the summer and I'm planning to replace Lightroom + Photoshop with Capture One Pro + Affinity Photo.  All looking good so far :)

I am a long-time Adobe user who stumbled on a community of really happy Affinity users, and after I looked at the products I can see why. During the sale I ended up buying Photo and Design for myself, and Design for my wife's Mac, plus the book, as she wants to learn design stuff. This looked like a great way to get her started. Oh and then I got the iPad apps too, why not, and that probably contributed to me getting an iPad Pro the other day, too. :)

Adobe is still the devil I know but it is really nice to have such affordable, quality apps. The friendly licensing is great too.

My primary uses are photo developing, making designs for laser cutters and vinyl cutters, and brochures/business graphics. 

Glad to be here!

4 hours ago, Horseflesh said:

I am a long-time Adobe user who stumbled on a community of really happy Affinity users, and after I looked at the products I can see why. During the sale I ended up buying Photo and Design for myself, and Design for my wife's Mac, plus the book, as she wants to learn design stuff. This looked like a great way to get her started. Oh and then I got the iPad apps too, why not, and that probably contributed to me getting an iPad Pro the other day, too. :)

Adobe is still the devil I know but it is really nice to have such affordable, quality apps. The friendly licensing is great too.

My primary uses are photo developing, making designs for laser cutters and vinyl cutters, and brochures/business graphics. 

Glad to be here!

You two are going to have a ton of fun with these apps!   Be sure to browse through the RESOURCES section of these forums  to find all of the excellent brushes, macros and assets that people have so kindly provided as free downloads for Photo and Designer.    The forums are extremely helpful, and fun as well.    Bet you never look back!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hi, I'm David, an expatriot Torontonian who has been an Aussie since 1970! 

I have been using Adobe products (in Windows) since Macromedia's Dreamweaver (which we first bought in 1998) was acquired by Adobe in 2005.  We are still using CS5 but refuse go CC after trialing it.  Their software is now very clunky and stupidly expensive.  I still use Paint Shop Pro 8 daily because it is very capable and fast for simple edits and printing.

Lately I have been using Inkscape as a replacement for my ancient favorite vector drawing program, Corel Draw 12 (now also obscenely expensive).  For an open source freebie, Inkscape is very capable.  However it is quite limited in its file export capabilities.  So far I have been using it to design products for our new store on Red Bubble ( https://www.redbubble.com/people/sunrisecoast/

Many moons ago we used Serif PagePlus for desktop publishing.  For its day, it was ground breaking software and we loved it.  Now we have discovered Affinity Designer!  I installed a trial two days ago and tried it for about 4 hours.  Yesterday I bought it!  After years of frustration trying to harness the power of Photoshop, Illustrator, and In Design, I found all the controls intuitive and powerful.  The software is very responsive and fast and seems very stable.

Yesterday, in Affinity Designer,  for the very first time, I felt I was on top of organizing layers.  The fact that is also handles raster images non-destructively within the same file and saves  undo information within the file, is amazing!  I will probably still use PS CS5, but not so much.  When I have lots of experience with Affinity Designer, I will trial Affinity Photo and fully expect it will nearly totally replace PS CS5.  And Affinity products are so affordable!

I am so excited!  When I strike some problems, I look forward to solving them here, in this forum.  When I can, I will be happy to help others too. Thanks Serif.  See ya later Adobe (not)!

Edited by Captain Snooze

Howdy from the Western mountain US, I’m Bear (my college nickname) and I lecture professionally and train graphic artists and provide technical consulting for the publishing industry.

I am an old Adobe Illustrator 1.1 user and was one of the pre-Adobe users of photoshop.

I am disgusted with Adobe and the lack of improvement and excessive price and hoping that eventually I can start to soapbox and promote Affinity for professional use to my clients and students.

To say that I’m excited about an “Illustrator/Photoshop killer” for the industry is an understatement, after Adobe killed Freehand and then switched to the monthly robbery model I can tell everyone I am just drooling at the possible opportunity to promote a lean and competent competitor.

Features we need to work in our industry:

Illustrator “like” Spot Color use and then “Adobe separator” printing features including “registration color” and listed print with LPI and halftone angle and shape color separation printing.

Photoshop “like” channel spot color generation and DCS 2.0 comparability for printing.

Please knock the fat greedy lazy pathetic arrogant monthly robber Barron off the top of the hill.

Bear

Hey Folks!

I am Chip. I have been using Serif since the days of PP2.  I have a BIG box of old software and user manuals!  I used to be part of the beta test crew til the switch to Affinity - RL rears its head!

btw - I cannot seem to figure out how to change my profile picture... Am I missing somet'ing or is this just disable for new Affinity Forum users?

TTFN

~Chip

On 6/10/2014 at 3:34 PM, TonyB said:

Hi, I'm Tony Brightman. I head the SerifLabs team that have been developing the new Affinity range of applications. We have been deep in research for 4 years but it's now time to show the world.

TonyB

Dear Tony,

I'm a new user of Affinity Photo, having used Photoshop for some time.  I'm very impressed.  Thank you to you and all your team for the software, and for the clear and helpful tutorials.  I have a specific question today, and am not sure I'm posting in the right place, so please let me know if I need to go elsewhere for this ...

I have taken two separate photos, one featuring a person and the other not, which a web designer wants to use to animate (making the figure appear/disappear).  I locked the shots, but clearly not well enough because they don't register properly.  Is there a way I can lay one over the other, move them to register the images and then crop both accordingly?

Your help, or that of a colleague, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Staff
On 4/6/2019 at 10:10 PM, cjipper said:

I cannot seem to figure out how to change my profile picture

It's disabled for the first few days/posts to stop spammers having (highly) inappropriate pictures or adverts. Try now in your profile

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon