MattP

Introduce Yourself

1,219 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2017 at 11:26 PM, Bri-Toon said:

As for the bugs, 1.6 will be available as a free update for those who purchased a previous version. Do keep in mind that there is an even later version than your purchase, but it is in beta. Once it is complete, you can update free of charge. If you would like to beta test the upcoming version and test how the nasty bugs have addressed, then you can do so here.

Thanks Bri-Toon, I am aware of the 1.6 Beta but feel that I should continue with 1.5 rather than start on something new.  When 1.6 is released it will hopefully be fine tuned by more experienced persons than myself.

I am now spending several hours every day with Affinity Photo (AF) and my biggest stumbling block is Photoshop.  I have used PS for so long that I expect AF tools to be in the same place as in PS, and expect the tools to work in the same way.  Some do, many do not.  There is also a distinct lack of help files and tutorials. 

Edited by Searcher1851
Found the answer.

7 minutes ago, Searcher1851 said:

Is there a better way?

So you are looking into merging the adjustment layers so they are nested with the regular layers. By default in Affinity Photo (opposite of Designer), each adjustment gets its own layer. If you prefer to set it up like Designer in which the layer and adjustments are merged (nested), then go into View > Assistant Manager, and check off the third from the last option. Now anytime you create an adjustment with a layer selected, it will be nested within that layer. However, since you already made adjustments with that option unchecked, you will have to drag each adjustment in each layer you want.

59a9e0b4cb91d_AssistantManager.png.47764ff6712b72598ef86fb4fbfa1517.png

Thank you.  I should say that all my AF edits currently are just part of the learning curve. None are for the archives, just process any old image to destruction if need be, then move on.  I found the "Add Snapshot" command in the Document menu, but previously read the "help" which said that Snapshots had to be created in Develop. 

18 minutes ago, Searcher1851 said:

Thank you.  I should say that all my AF edits currently are just part of the learning curve. None are for the archives, just process any old image to destruction if need be, then move on.  I found the "Add Snapshot" command in the Document menu, but previously read the "help" which said that Snapshots had to be created in Develop. 

It looks like you caught a mistake. You can take snapshots in the Photo persona as well.

I am John Summerfield, a resident of Mandurah.

I started my trial of Affinity Photo today, and already have misgivings.

I have a test set of photos captured with a 5Ds which must be processed.

Landscapes shot at different focal lengths which must be focus stacked,

Landscapes shot over a broad expanse which must be stitched. They include the stack above.

A sequence shot for two purposes, for a timelapse and to stack for motion blur. I expect to use other software for the timelapse.

I am testing on a Surface Book, without a mouse.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:14 PM, gdb said:

Hi Marco. I'm in the same boat as you. Loving Designer more day by day. The book has been a great help in understanding the fundamentals, and have found the tutorial examples fantastic. My confidence is growing in this program and in my abilities. Using Illustrator everyday at work, and moving to Designer at night is getting much easier. There's plenty to love and learn. Great work Serif-ers!

Yeah good for you too, designer rocks! I find it intuitive to the creative process, illustrator is good, but I often found myself forgetting what I was trying to achieve, whilst figuring out how to do it. I guess not everyone will agree; but for me designer works, and the book is really useful to have, plus it is a beautifully presented good quality publication, which is nice to own as a physical "book" in a digital age. 

On 8/25/2017 at 2:36 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Welcome to the Affinity forum, Marco. And same here. I have Photo as well, but Designer is more of my program. Coming from Illustrator, it is so much more persistent even if it may not have all the same features. I've been using it I think since May of 2016? And I still love it. I'm glad it's working for you. In Illustrator, to flip a selection, right click, Transform, another window opens, then reflect, then click Okay. Oh man, too much.

Thanks, I totally agree. I find designer far more intuitive to my, somewhat random workflow. So far so good.

Hi

My name is Jim & I am a complete novice both as a photographer & as a user of Affinity (or any other photo editing software)

I am in my early sixties & am looking forward to developing my limited computing skills, please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions.

Thanks

i'm new here in affinity, trying out the trial before i buy. Been using inkscape for a month or two now designing logos for online freelancing sites. I'm looking for the perfect tool for the web and print. Hope Affinity is it.

Hi jimmacz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no such thing as stupid questions. Fell free to ask anything you need/want to know. There's plenty of people around willing to help.
You may want to take a look an the Official Video Tutorials for Affinity Photo, Photo for iPad and Designer. They are a great way to start. There's also a few more learning resources listed here.

@Welcome everyone.

Bri-Toon likes this

On ‎30‎-‎08‎-‎2017 at 0:37 AM, SrPx said:

Could it be of help to you disabling certain Windows Service ?  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2c220l/tip_for_drawingpen_use_on_surface_pro_3_palm/

I have done that in the past for other reasons. And one person there suggests Autohotkey free utility to perfect even more the solution . I use sth similar for other matters (X-Mouse Button Control) and those things can become really handy. but the main thing is disabling the feature for a whole session of Photo if you don't plan anything else needing that... As you said Surface, you are on windows. you can enable/disable this service easily. ("Run.." at Start Menu, and type services.msc, or better, do a shortcut icon in the Windows task bar. And even better, the autohotkey shortcut). I know, Surface tends to do those little dots due to palm rejection issues. I'd disable that service as mentioned, for drawing. Oh, wait....it's a Surface...that may lead you to handle the whole program and windows with the pen (for me, no biggy, but other ppl is less used to that). Also am the kind of guy who always tries to plug a traditional mouse to that kind of thing...(defeating all advantages, I suppose)

No that is not an option for me, as I have other options for painting, where I dont have to turn a service off, so Photo will not be used. However, should it be a part of Photo natively, then I would definitely switch, but as it is right now - photo collects dust.. 

Hello everyone,

just a quick introduction:

José Andrade from Portugal and currently living in Germany.

I feel in love with photography and I am learning everyday on how to enhance my post-editing skills, as well as how to shoot photographs properly!

I am really enjoying the software (Affinity Photo for windows) so far, although I am running into some problems regarding color management, but hopefully all will be sorted out soon. But the experience has been quite great nonetheless!

All the best,

-JA

Hi there, I'm Rich. I'm new to Serif products. I've been using Adobe products since CS3 and was told about Designer, and how it is very competitive to Illustrator, so I gave it a shot. Still in the learning curve phase; but so far, I don't have anything negative to say about the software other than unfamiliarity. I am a big fan of publishing layout design (and InDesign), so I can't wait to see what Affinity Publisher has in store. Glad to join the Serif family of design products, and excited to see what is in store.

Hello, I'm Chris and I've been working with Photoshop and Illustrator for years. But now is the time to try something different, so I came to Affinity.
For me, it was a challenge and without the numerous tutorials, it would have been much more difficult. These tuts are very well done and are very helpful.
In the meantime, I think I already quite well and I miss the Adobe products are no longer missing.

Greetings from Austria

Chris

Hello to everyone, I am Frank and live in central Oregon. Recently retired and starting my hobby of photography. Was looking for a photo editing program and came across Affinity photo which I am going 

through the tutorials and so far I have been very happy with the program.

I have a question regarding photo printers. Has anyone used the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer I see it on B&H for $379.00 with a $250.00 rebate from Canon.

Presently I am looking for a photo printer and wondering if the one by Canon is a good for a starter?  I notice the ink is not cheap for this printer but I guess you get what you pay for. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

I forgot to introduce myself, but I want to say that I am loving Designer so far. I am now a current user of Krita for everything, and I'm looking forward to use Affinity Photo or even combining two programs into my workflow to get something better than Photoshop at a lower price. Right now, I am combining Inkscape and Designer, and loving it.